Callidus Vs. Orks

Lord Cornilius

I'd have to double check it, but, I seem to recall that that rule lets them use their numbers instead of their leadership for moral tests, effectively making them better than fearless, but the orks themselves are still ld 7 ish.

Units with the Mob Rule special rule may always substitute the number of models in the unit for their base LD value. If there are 11+ models, they also count as fearless.

But that's not the only reason you shouldn't take the Callidus. Other than Lootas, no Ork unit is worth moving with AWIYE. The army is too fast and too numerous to be affected much, and virtually all Ork ranged weapons (again, excepting Lootas) are Assault weapons anyway, so it's not like making them move is going to be all that bad.

Against Orks, all the assassins -- including even the Eversor -- are too expensive and fragile to be worth using. Orks can't be out-assaulted. You have to shoot Shoot SHOOT and clean up the stragglers. That's the only way to beat them. Assassins are more of a hindrance than a help in this tactical framework.

But that's not the only reason you shouldn't take the Callidus. Other than Lootas, no Ork unit is worth moving with AWIYE. The army is too fast and too numerous to be affected much, and virtually all Ork ranged weapons (again, excepting Lootas) are Assault weapons anyway, so it's not like making them move is going to be all that bad.

Against Orks, all the assassins -- including even the Eversor -- are too expensive and fragile to be worth using. Orks can't be out-assaulted. You have to shoot Shoot SHOOT and clean up the stragglers. That's the only way to beat them. Assassins are more of a hindrance than a help in this tactical framework.

I think though thats one for the FAQ to clear up, or you and your opponent to come to a 'reasonable' decision.

Ork bikers are good to move, lol shove them in difficult terrain (dangerous for bikes) and watch their numbers work against them.

Yeah as Number 6 said, you can't really get much out of this one.

Although I agree on not assaulting orks, Power klaws will smash up any assassin.

Then again I disagree, If i'm in the LR I won't be able to shrug of all the orks by moving 12" forever.

When you jump out You have to assault, imo Lootas will kill you if you don't (only applies to GKT due to 2+ save) Then bring in the Death Cult assassins to help support/cut down the few remaining orks.

I have cut down 2 units of 30 orks in the middle of the battle very easily with a GK squad, GM+retinue and LRC only for my LRC to fail and Lootas mash me up. Anyways getting the charge off is better than recieving it, and it speeds up things. Furious charge is something you don't want to face on Orks.

I could only advice Assassins in support of Stormtroopers against speed freaks (12 man ork squad)

30man ork squads are just evil, unless dealt with most of your fighting force.

Oh, no question. GKs >> Orks! We mow them down with stormolter (and psycannon) dakka and can clean their clocks in assault, too. But having faced nothing but footslogger Ork Hordes (3+ units of 20+ Boyz) with a healthy backup of [Nob] Bikerz and/or Gazkhull and/or Snikrot and/or 2x 15 Lootas....

The army is just too fast. It is a serious challenge to stay out of arm's reach. Yeah, I shoot up/chop down something like 6+ Orks for every GK I have before they mob me up. But that's usually only half of what I have to accomplish in order to keep them under control!

This is a nasty, nasty army. Assassins are a waste against it. If you could clear kill zones like in 4th edition, this would be an entirely different discussion....

Archived