Terminators, Deepstriking & Combat Squads

AngryJohnny

So now that our Terminator Squads can be split into Combat Squads, I have some questions on how exactly this would work & what all we can do with this new feature.

On page 51 of the 5th Edition C:SM under the Combat Squad rules it says:

"The decision to split the unit into Combat Squads, as well as which models go into each Combat Squad must be made when the unit is deployed. Both Combat squads can be deployed in separate locations."

1. Is this cryptically telling us that we can not deploy 1 Terminator Combat Squad normally & the 2nd via Deep Strike? Does Deep Strike count as deployment? So that if I Deep Strike a squad of Terminators I make the decision to combat squad them after the Deep Strike (like with the Drop Pod)?

2. It's a little confusing. I've read the Deep Strike rules in the Rule Book (pg95) and the Combat Squad rules in the C:SM (pg51) and it doesn't really specifically state one way or another. (unless I'm missing it) I want to make sure that I am only deploying as allowed in the rules, but don't want to miss out on a possible tactic.

3. If I split a 10 man Terminator into 2 5 man combat squads, can I deploy one of the combat squads during the initial deployment & deploy the 2nd combat squad via deep strike?

4. If I choose to take a Land Raider as a dedicated transport can I take a 10 man Terminator Squad & split them via Combat Squad rules & have the Land Raider drive 1 of the combat squads around?

5. If I can deploy a Combat Squad via deep strike & use a Land Raider to transport a combat squad, can I do both? i.e. I have 10 Terminators, I split the squad into Combat Squads, one is deployed by the Land Raider & the other is deployed via Deep Strike at a later turn.

6. Can an Independent Character (Lysander) join a combat squad? (not just Terminator Combat Squads, but any Combat Squad in general?)

7. Is there anything else I need to know about using Terminator Combat Squads?

Thanks in advance for any insight you call can offer!

1. A unit can only split into combat squads under 2 conditions. 1) deployment at start of game. 2) arrival via drop pod (Codex marines only, DA/BA need not apply).

3. No, a terminator squad can't split and start with some on the table and some via deep strike.

4. Yes, the raider can transport either combat squad.

5. No.

6. ICs can join any combat squad as normal. Lysander can join a combat squad of devestators if he really wants to.

Archived