vs. SM 1st Time in 5th Edi

Hinti

Lord Inquisitor Hinti requests your help!

Read my Details, you will see I'm from Austria....so sorry for my cruel English!!

As the Topic said, i'm gona playing vs. the new SM on Thuesday. So i'm NOT this skillfull Player at all, the Ordo Malleus is my 40K Home! (Regardless I'm playing IG and DA as well......somehow)

Well let's go.......

I've read some Tactics around here, and was stuck by one "nasty" thing....it was that "Leave the LR @Home...". This sounds funny to my, so i decided to exactly do that.

Here's the Result, game is 2K Points

HQ

GM Thadeus Leupold

4 GKT, 1x Incinerator, Inferno 362

Lord Inquisitor Benjamin Jay McQueen

3 Krieger, 2xMM 1xHB, Mystiker, Auspex, PP 163

Elite

Captain, 4GKT, Psi-Bolter 270

Captain, 4GKT 245

Callidus Assassine 120

Standard

Justicar, 8 PAGK, 2x Incinerator, Auspex 272

Justicar, 8 PAGK, Incinerator, Auspex 262

5 IST, 2xMelter, Rhino, extra Armour, smoke 128

5 IST, 2x Melter, Chimera, extra Armour, smoke, Telesender 183

Multilaser, HB, Psi-Boltermuni

As you see there are some Points Left, what could be attached to the Army???

Some =][=Guards in an Chimera?

IG Armoured Fist?

some else DW-Team?

My main Problem is that "small" Stuff....Psyker Stuff etc...

I've 2 GK's and 2 GKT's left.....

THX for any Help!

Hinti

Mate, I have to say, for a non-native speaker your pretty eloquent. I've seen worse posts from people who speak it as a first language ;) aside from a few grammatical errors, I had no trouble understanding you.

Now, onto the army.

I've read some Tactics around here, and was stuck by one "nasty" thing....it was that "Leave the LR @Home...". This sounds funny to my, so i decided to exactly do that.

Yeah, generally speaking below 1,500 points you should have a pair of Hellfire Dreadnoughts instead. Even at 2,000 points or higher, you should carefuly consider if you want a Landraider, or another squad of Grey Knights.

Just a note for you; don't post individual points costs, as it's a violation of the IP rules on the B&C. Instead, you can post the whole unit's points costs.

HQ

Grandmaster 145

Inferno 20

4 Termis 184

'Inferno' is a psychic power, yes? In English 40k we call it 'Holocaust', and I would recommend you swap it for an incinerator on one of the retinue. Also, swap one GKT's weapons for TH+SS, the extra hitting power and the 'stun' ability of the thunderhammer helps against tough targets (like walkers or Monstrous Creatures).

As for your Grandmaster, I would suggest pimping him out a little; a power weapon gets your +1A (trust me, you won't miss the storm bolter), and 'Sacred Incense' can come in handy against Chaos Marines and Chaos Daemons. He's also a great platform for a psychic hood (Ld10, very tough). Also, consider buying 'Hammerhand', as it comes in handy against vehicles in close-combat (in particular walkers, because none of them have I5 and so you'll get your 5-6 x S8 attacks in before they can swing).

I generally field the following unit;

Grandmaster, power weapon, NFW, Hammerhand

GKT w/NFW+storm bolter, GKT w/NFW+incinerator, GKT w/TH+SS

(323 points)

Lord Inquisitor 45

3 Warriors 30

3x Multimelter 75

Mystiker 6

Against Marines (indeed most armies excepting Tyranids and Orks), I field the fire support Lord;

Inquisitor Lord, psycannon

2 x heavy bolter servitors, plasma cannon servitor

2 x Sages, 2 x Mystics, 3 x Acolytes w/ artificer armour

(261 points)

He's tough, pumps out a lot of firepower and his twin-linked plasma cannon+Mystics will ensure any Drop Podding-squads get a face full of plasma, or if he drops in a Dreadnought, you can just tell a Hellfire Dread to take it out (twin-lascannon+krak missile will generally do the trick). Dump him on your 'home objective, preferably with 1-2 PAGK squad with psycannons in support, and just tear the Marine infantry apart.

Elite

Captain 61

4 Termis 184

PSI Bolter 25

Incernator 15

Leave these guys, bulk up on PAGK, you'll want them for engaging his infantry.

Captain 61

4 Termis 184

Same thing again. While GKT's are nasty they are non-scoring, so if he takes out all your Troops (not hard, given you don't have a lot to begin with), he can pretty much win by simply 'holding' his home objective, regardless of what you do.

Callidus Assassine 120

She's very good for tackling Marines, and her 'A Word in Your Ear' ability can result in a dead SM tank turn 1. I like using the Eversor (mainly because he eats Tactical squads easily and will match up the nerfed SM heroes pretty well), but she's still a good choice.

Justicar 50

6 GK 150

Incernator 10

Justicar 50

6 GK 150

Incernator 10

Justicar 50

6 GK 150

Incernator 10

You've got the right idea, but you need to bulk them up to 8-strong and give them psycannons. Also, just take two squads, you need suicide melta-rush IST's to take out his armour quickly. So, I recommend going for the following;

(2) Justicar, meltabombs, targeter, 7 x PAGK, 2 x psycannons

(281 points each)

Camp them with your Lord and rain hell into the advancing Marines. Only advance to claim objectives when you have sufficently weakened his Troops. I don't usually take meltabombs but against his Dreadnoughts (especially that detestable Iron-clad), you simply can't kill them quickly enough. To prevent getting tied down in pointless combats, meltabombs offer a quick 'headshot' to get the squad out.

Now, for your expendable Troops. I recommend IST dual melta Rhino rush. It's cheap, brutal and highly effective. Use the following;

(3) 5 x IST's, 2 x meltaguns, Rhino, extra armour, smokes

(128 points each)

These guys will reduce Marine armour to flaming wreckage, and with 3 of them (remember, Rhinos can also be used to block LOS to your precious GK's), he can't eliminate them all before they reach melta range. Then blow his pesky vehicles to slag, and watch his army move in to retaliate.

You need to get some Hellfire Dreadnoughts into your army, the more the better;

(2) GK Dreadnought, twin-lascannon, missile launcher

(140 points each)

Depending on points you might be able to squeeze in a third. Basically, camp these guys with your PAGK and Lord and annhilate his vehicles. Combined with the IST's melta rush, you should have destroyed most of his armour (and therefore mobility) by about Turn 2/3. Then you simply hammer his infantry until they are all dead, then move in to take the objectives. His primary counter to this (Deepstriking) won't work, as the Mystics will detect them and allow you to blow them away before they can even move.

*wow*

that much Info.........

First of all, THX!!!

I will remind some of these Infos for my tomorrows Match.....

Will study that now, a reply later with a few Questions.....

One thing that your current list is really lacking is anti tank weapons, the multimeltas on your inquisitor lords squad will probably be dead before they can get in range. I'd swap your current inquisitor lord squad for the one which Darius has suggested as I find that will be the most effective as your getting 6 heavy bolter rounds 3 psycannon rounds and 1 plasma blast which will turn those space marines into soup ;).

I agree with almost everything Darius suggested except you must have at least one land raider in a 2000 point list! ;) Personally i'd go for two and some would even go for three, the main reason is they are the best thing you can get at destroying enemy vehicles and they can resist the heaviest of enemy fire. Also remeber that under the new FAQ DH can now split the land raiders TLLC's between two different vehicles so with two you have a good chance of damaging 4 enemy vehicles on the first turn and even more chance if you give them hunter killer missiles.

As for your troops I prefer storm troopers with plasam guns, plasma eats through space marine armour and with four shots for each squad on rapid fire you cant go wrong. For your grey knights you should get 7 or 8 in each squad minimum and psycannons are great if you plan on using them to just hold objectives, the only point where i'd disagree with Darius on is that melta bombs are pretty much useless against dreadnoughts, for five points you get one attack which requires a 6 to hit so the chances of it being useful are very small, if you could give it to the whole squad they'd be great but just having one for the justicar isnt worth it.

^^^^

LOOK @ 1st Post!

Ok, now I've Updated the List, and fixed my "Point" Misstake......sorry about that.

One thing I have forgotten to say is, that in case of my PAGK, GKT, GM and other Malleus Stuff I'am an WYSIWYG Fanatic!!............ What a Moron some of You might think.......well you're right, my fault. So the PAGK and GKT are the Modells I HAVE. I dont have a GM with Psi Cannon, I do NOT have an GKT with TH+SS, etc......same with the PAGK.

All the Spezial GK i have are in the List...... The "Missing" one's are on my Shopping List for the next Time.

If someone is upset about my practice asking for Help, and can't (won't----->WYSIWYG) use them in the Game because the GK's described are Missing in my Arsenal. So I Apologize for that.....

Now on my List: I think for now I will play it like that........Maybe some Teleporterhomer's in the IST???

For now, whats the better choice of Psychuik Power for the GM?

Holocaust

or

Hammerhand....

???????? one Thing what ist meant with Psychic Hood?????

so long

Hinti

So you dont have any land raiders or dreadnoughts that you can use? If not then I guess the list is probably as good as your going to get it except the inquisitor lords squad still has multimeltas and you have a lot of GKT squads....

Right, no Dreads, but one LR, wich i will left @Home......

Anyway I'll try it that way................would be funny anyway...

But why change the MM in the Inqui squad with HB?? I'm sure he will drop at least 3Pods, and for that i have the MM???

Ok MM sufers from only 24" Fire Distance, but with HB i've NOTHING against Tanks/Pods.......

Maybe Mix it?? 2 HB and 1 MM? Is ist that what you mean?

The main problem with multimeltas as you say is that they only have a 24" range and they really work optimally at 12". Because the best way to use the inquisitor lord squads is to stay within the deployment area and lay down longrange dakka whilst taking out any deepstriking units multimeltas arent really as good as heavy bolters and the plasma cannon due to the range. Also there is a synergy between the psycannon, heavy bolter and the plasma cannon as they all have the same range and are effective at taking out the same type of things, the multimelta is a bit different as it is mainly for taking out heavy armour at close range.

By all means take one melta as im sure it could come in handy vs DS dreadnoughts ect but three just seems like overkill as your not likely to get many chances to use them agasint their optimal target and when you do one will normally be enough to do the job.

*puh*

Game over..........

only a fast review, I'm tired...

My Army was completly Anhilated at the end of Round 5

Mission was Take and Hold (?), Dawn of War....

@Inqu an MM....I've changed for 2 MM and 1HB.......my intention was right. I was able to shoot down both of his Pods.....thanks to thy Mystic...

What else? One GKT and one PAGK Sqaud died in Plasma fire (oh what a surprise....), the rest of the Army was slain by the Sternguard w Tigurius (my second GKT Squad), and the GM, 2nd PAGK and the Inqui where killed by this brutal SM Honour Guard.......anyone want's to know what happens to the IST?

Both of his HQ (Chapter Master and Tigurius) where killed....

Honour Guard where reduced to two members...

His Standards where mostly reduced to on ore two (can't realy remember...)

And ALL of his Vehicles!!

LR Redeemer

2 Razorbacks

Vindicator

Dread (CC Weapon destroyed)

SURVIVED!!!!

It was nevertheless a very good, and interesting Game Thanks to my Opponent Napalm

And even more thanks for the support I was given here, I will try to keep those things in Mind!!

THX

Hinti

Hah sounds like you had a good game despite being annihilated :). Thanks for posting your review an letting us know how it went. Glad the multimeltas where useful in the end although I have to still say that it is not the optimal way for using an inquisitor lords squad, also putting just one heavy bolter is not that effective as you need the synergy across all four of the heavy weapons for it to work properly. Also if you had some heavy anti tank stuff like dreadnoughts and landraiders you wouldn't have needed to waste giving your inquisitor squad 2 multimeltas. You didnt say how your stormtroopers did so im guessing they died horribly :(. One thing I got to say though for next time.. DONT leave you land raider at home! ;)

What the IST did?

ähm, they prevent ONE Razorback from fireing its AC for one Round.....thats all, and yes they died like IST should do, bloody and fast...... :)

Next Time WITH LandRaider! But i did very well i think, it was sometime one Hell of a fight! Energy Weapons on both Sides.......Horrible......

EDIT:

Final List in 1st. Post

Archived