Tank shock and ramming

Brother Tual

I am a bit confused on the exact wording of this rule section...

I want to know specifically -

Can a speeder tank shock?

Can a Speeder Ram?

If yes, What happens if a squadron tank shocks?

What happens with death or glory? only one model can attack and thus can only kill one - do the other models continue? or do they stop? or does the one model die and the death or glory also die?

It is very unclear - the rules reference tanks specifically - but also caters for non tank vehicles - and then changes in definition to vehicles!! grrr

What I feel -

Vehicles apart from walkers can tank shock AND ram (otherwise alot of vehicles could not tank shock OR ram)

Squadrons tank shocking force only one check and can only loose one model to a potential death or glory in which the unit then stops (I would count the unit as a single model..) otherwise RAW would say that the death or glory model dies even IF he scores a kill because the other vehicles continue to move and thus has not stopped the tank shock...

What do we think?

I am a bit confused on the exact wording of this rule section...

I want to know specifically -

Can a speeder tank shock?

Can a Speeder Ram?

No, a speeder (I assume you mean a land speeder) can't tank shock (or ram) because it's not a tank.

If yes, What happens if a squadron tank shocks?

I don't know of any tanks that form into squadrens.

It is very unclear - the rules reference tanks specifically - but also caters for non tank vehicles - and then changes in definition to vehicles!! grrr

I'm not sure where the confusion comes from. The rules for tanks shock are in the section on tank rules and they say that tanks get these rules in addition to normal vehicle rules.

Incorrect, IIRC.

A Land Speeder cannot tank shock as it is not a tank - only vehicles with the Tank rule can tank shock.

It can, however, ram things.

Ramming states that you gain plus one strength when ramming IF you are a tank, therefore anything is isn't a tank can still ram.

This is going on memory, rather than the BBB, therefore there may be a stipulation that prevents speeders from ramming, but if there is then the example above is not it. ;)

Incorrect, IIRC.

A Land Speeder cannot tank shock as it is not a tank - only vehicles with the Tank rule can tank shock.

Ramming states that you gain plus one strength when ramming IF you are a tank, therefore anything is isn't a tank can still ram.

This is going on memory, rather than the BBB, therefore there may be a stipulation that prevents speeders from ramming, but if there is then the example above is not it. ;)

Ramming is a type of tank shock so only vehicles that can tank shock (ie: tanks) can ram.

As far as the bonus for being a tank, remember you also inflict a hit if you are rammed so non-tanks can be involved in ramming attacks, they just can't initiate them.

To back up what Reglor is saying, Ork trukks can get ramming spikes (or whatever they're called), which allows them to tank shock (and, by extension, ram), even though they still don't actually count as tanks. To me, that means that non-tanks cannot normally tank-shock or ram.

Incorrect, IIRC.

Non-tank vehicles cannot ram (except in special cases) - just checked the BRB. The +1 Mass modifier for being a tank is relevant because the rammed vehicle might also be a tank, thus gaining +1 as well.

ok - so trukks cant ram or shock unless they have a ramming upgrade -

The confusion comes on my part from the wording - the rules refer to both TANKS and vehicles and seems to switch between terms rather liberally..

Tanks follow the normal rules for vehicles, with the

additions and exceptions given below.

TANK SHOCK!

Tanks may decide to use their mass as a weapon,

driving right into and through densely packed enemies...

When moving a tank, the player can declare that the

vehicle is going to attempt to make a tank shock attack

instead of moving normally....

If the tank moved slowly enough during the tank shock

attack...

The rules are explicitly clear.

@Angel of Retribution - Vehicles are defined as tanks or not in their unit entry in the relevant codex.

It usually goes something like;

Unit type: Vehicle, Fast, Skimmer

Or

Unit type: Infantry (or jetbike if equipped with an Eldar jetbike)

Hope that's useful <_<

Incorrect, IIRC.

logically fallacious mate.

Doesnt work like that.

The +1 is there for cases where you work out damage back from vehicles that are not tanks. ie: Tanks ramming speeders =D

Archived