Wolves and Dedidcated Transports

deedark

Wolves cannnot us dedicated transport for any other unit except the one that its dedicated too - we do not get battlefield taxis.

I have argued this point with a few local players

D.

i don't have my codex right in front of me, but i am not sure. it would depend on how "dedicated" transports are defined in ours. i thought that it would just us the dedicated transport rules from the HBRB where only the unit that bought the transport can start in it, but once they leave, it can go pick up some one else.

like i said i would have to check in my codex, but the thing to remember is the HBRB is law over any codex, unless it is a special rule.

Read the FAQ we have posted, but I'll sum it up here:

there is NO such thing as a dedicated transport as defined in the rulebook. all transports can now transport any of the units on the board after they get rid of thier original payload (starting the game deployed allows the transport to assist any other unit right away) assuming the unit in question CAN be transported (ie no TDA in a rhino). It's one of the more noticable changes with 5th ed and has nothing to do with our codex, as it's right there in the main rulebook.

I'm afraid you are in the wrong about this one deedark.

Special Rule Troop section

Transport vehicles do not provide a taxis service to the entire army

I've just notice an updated FAQ that seems to back this up codex over BRB in this case

D.

New Rulebook rule for Transports overrules previous rulebook rules....that rule that you are quoting stems from a previous edition rulebook but is added in our Codex as a sort of helpful reminder, not as a Space Wolf only rule.

Since the new rulebook changed that rule, the "reminder" in our codex is invalid.

Actually, this point could be overriden by the "If there is contradiction between BBB and Codex, Dex takes priority" Rule. Yes, it's not hugely fair on us but this rule is of limited exploitablity. Personally I wouldn't argue this one to vigorously.

It could be overridden by that IF the thing in our Codex was a rule, but it's not, it's a clarification of a rule coming from outdated rulebooks.

Basically though it's something that people who will try to pull the proverbial crap out their hind-ends may try to "enforce", mainly because they don't care about having fun or enjoying the game...only that they want to win.

From updated FAQ on the 5th Ed http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_Custom...ok_Oct_2008.pdf

Q. My Imperial Guard or Black Templar Codex

says that dedicated transports can only be used

by the unit they’ve been bought for. Is that

overruled by the new way dedicated transports

work in 5th Edition?

A. No, if a Codex clearly says that dedicated

transports can only be used during the game by

the unit that bought them, that overrules the

general rule in the rulebook, as normal.

Obviously some armies are stricter than others

about transport regulations!

Harsh but we are happy to accept anything in our favour so have to accept anything against

not that theres much in our favour these days.

D.

IF we want to go codex RAW then it only applies to bloodclaws.

Im not even joking. The rules for bloodclaws are as follows:

SPECIAL RULES

Head-strong: "....."

Beserk Charge: "......"

Transport Vehicles: "....."

And while it does talk about it in general terms it is obviously under the blood claws entry.

Heres the interesting part though.... or the more interesting part in my eyes: Details of these vehicles may be found in codex space marines.

Going to the section in codex space marines.... it says "see the vehicles section of the warhammer 40k rulebook for details about how transport vehicles operate". Wich in turn says that any model can embark on a transport.... taking us full circle.

I say ask your friends/TO/LGS/etc.

We can go around forever with things like this - clarity is not GWs forte.

Roll 1-3 not taxis 4-6 Taxi for Space Wolves

I guess its not that important really

D.

Archived