Battle Report (Blog)

graydeth

(Your comments/suggestions welcomed.)

Battle Report Planet 63-496

(As told to Remembrancer Vihlor by the Knight Marcus, member, Crusader Squad Tiger)

…we landed upon the harsh; burning world designated 63-496, after picking up strange transmissions from the surface. Lord Knight Templar Sagremor leading two Crusader squads, Tiger and Long Talon, and Knight Errant Morholt the Mighty. Sensors showed the very air and ground was highly corrosive, so much so that a single cut or scratch could prove deadly. As the Thunderhawk transport lifted off, Lord Knight Templar Sagremor issued orders to secure the area. Now that we were on the surface we were picking up multiple signals and the commander wanted them checked out quickly. He seemed to have a bad feeling about this place. Crusader squad Long Talon took up position in a small grove of trees to provide overwatch. The commander and Knight Errant Morholt began moving toward the ruins of a building where one of the signals was emanating from. Crusader Squad Tiger began advancing toward another building ruin.

Our Squad had not advanced more than a few meters toward our objective when we spotted a warp hole opening on the other side of a hill to our right front. As the very air ripped open with the twisted energies from the warp, we could see the twisted forms of Daemons stepping through. Vox transmissions from the Commander and Knight Errant Morholt told us they were seeing a squad of Daemonettes emerging from the warp on the far side of the hill. Our squad advanced forward drawing chainswords and firing our Bolt Pistols. Our first volley took 3 of the Daemons down. Spurred on by our fortune, we charged in, determined to finish them off quickly. Vox comms from the other side of the hill indicated that Lord Knight Templar Sagremor and Knight Errant Morholt were not having as much luck. The writhing Daemonettes managed to avoid their bolter and autocannon fire and rushed the commander and Morholt.

Crusader Squad Long Talon was not in a position to fire upon the Daemonettes before they were entangled with the commander, so they began moving through the trees to provide cover fire for Squad Tiger. As we rushed in, Vox comms indicated that things were not going well on the other side of the hill. But we could not help them at that time, so we launched ourselves at the two remaining daemons in front of us. The melee was a blur of chainswords and bolt pistols versus the claws and some form of crude power weapons. In the end, the daemons fell to our righteous fury, but not before they took down two of our brothers. We did not have long to celebrate our victory as Long Talon informed us that Lord Knight Templar Sagremor had fallen and that Knight Errant Morholt was under siege from the Daemonettes. We began moving back toward our brothers when again the air was torn apart by the appearances of two more warp holes.

Once again from the depths of the warp, daemons stepped through, though this time it was even more horrific. I had never seen one in all my years, but I knew as soon as it appeared, that a Daemon Prince had arrived. The very air around the gigantic creature seemed repelled by its presence. It stepped through the portal meters away from Brother Morholt. Crusader Squad Long Talon moved toward the creature to engage with its Lascannon and Bolters. My squad had other worries as right where we had just vanquished one group of daemons, another stepped through a warp hole. We had no choice but to engage them and leave our battle brothers to take on the monstrous creature themselves.

Again we fired our Bolt pistols, but this time we were only able to kill one of the unholy creatures. We charged in with our chainswords again, determined to end this and get back to help our brothers. Chainswords whirred to life, hacking at the daemons; who countered with viscous rending claws. After moments that seemed to stretch to hours, we stood victorious again. But not without losses, where we had started with nine Battle Brothers, we were down to three. As we looked around with the lust for battle firmly gripping our hearts, I could hear death and destruction coming over the vox. As we turned to head back to assist them, we heard the death screams of our brothers as they fell to the Daemon Prince, his multiple arms and weapons shredding armor and weapons before turning back to go after Brother Morholt.

I called out to Brother Morholt, telling him to hold his ground while we came back to assist him. His cavernous voice boomed over our vox, “No, complete your mission, secure the objective. I will hold them here.” Despite our wish to assist him, we followed the orders of our revered Battle Brother. Quickly we advanced and captured the objective, taking up defensive positions in case any other daemons appeared. Over our vox comms, we could hear Brother Morholt’s battle as he took on the squad of Daemonettes and their prince. For what seemed an eternity the battle raged. The prince’s blows miraculously bouncing harmlessly off Morholt’s dreadnought armor as he laughed at the prince. The Daemonettes fared no better and Morholt’s mechanical claw picked them off one at a time. In the end though, time and the odds were against him. Finally they scored dreadful blows against him, leaving our esteemed Brother’s Dreadnought armor smoldering on the field, but not before he killed more than half of the daemonette squad.

Next battle report:

Battle Report Planet Nightfall

(As told to Remembrancer Vihlor by the Knight Tassador, member, Crusader Squad Long Talon)

…we could hear the screams over the vox, even if we couldn’t see them from our position. We wanted to move to help, but Lord Templar Sagremor’s last order was to stand our ground where we were, no matter the consequences. I guess I should start from the beginning…

Lord Templar Sagremor had ordered our squad into overwatch position in the ruins of a building. We had scrambled over fallen masonry and plasteel debris to find a high window to scan from. How anyone could live on a world bathed in eternal darkness was beyond me. From our position up high we could barely make out the form of Knight Errant Morholt in the road beside the ruins we occupied. The bulk of his mighty Dreadnought frame consumed by the inky blackness of this world. Crusader squad Vulcan had taken position in another shell of a building across the road with the Lord Templar. We had secured our positions, when the Lord Templar ordered Crusader squad Feral to advance toward the second position.

Stretching our scans to their maximum, it was hard to tell if we saw or felt the warp holes open up. From our position we could see the warp energy spark and flash as it ripped a hole in the air before it. Over the vox we could hear Squad Vulcan responding to the threat. Multiple voices called over the comms as Vulcan engaged what they described as a giant of a Daemon step thru the warp hole. From our position, we saw the briefest glimpse of a huge shape before the battlefield was again covered in darkness.

Squad Feral had advanced toward a wood line when the trees began to twist and bend out of shape, as if reality itself was soft clay in the Emperor’s hands. Feral found itself facing a squad of PlagueBearer’s. Knight Yarli’s flamer lashed out and caught a few of the daemons. The rest of Feral fired their Bolt Pistols into the group before they could get their bearings. From the vox, we could tell that Feral had taken out a few of the bearers, and were now launching themselves at the remains of the daemons. The melee only lasted a few moments. We could hear the screams over the vox, even if we couldn’t see them from our position. Though it sounded as if they had taken a good number of the daemons out, Feral squad was destroyed by the PlagueBearers.

While Feral was occupied with the PlagueBearers, Squad Vulcan had its hands full with their leader…or what we assume as their leader. The giant Daemon was upon them quickly. First it breathed or fired some form of flamer weapon at them. Two good knights were lost to that attack. Vulcan fired back with a Meltagun and a Multimelta. The Daemon’s warp infused body shrugged off the Meltagun shots, but the Multimelta scored a hit. Over the vox I could hear a shout of confidence as the shot penetrated the daemon. But it was short lived. Knight Errant Morholt turned toward the daemon and fired. From our position, we could see the burst from the Autocannon and the StormBolter as Brother Morholt fired. We could not tell if his shots had any affect on the Daemon. A moment later it was among our brothers in Vulcan, its huge sword slicing thru the air and thru bodies. Our brothers fell before they could mount a proper assault.

As the last of Vulcan fell before the giant Daemon, Knight Templar Galahadrian, our Champion, entered the fray. His voice full of confidence over the vox, he called out to the Daemon, charging it as he did so. I remember seeing Templar Galahadrian aboard the Thunderhawk just before take off. The Black Sword at his waist, his armour gleaming from the high polish it had received from his servitors earlier. I knew in my hearts that he would be victorious. Unfortunately, he too, fell before the behemoth. And he would not be the last.

Lord Templar Sagremor arrived just as Galahadrian fell. Cursing over the vox, he threw himself into the fray, drawing his powersword and he did. While he fought the Daemon, Brother Morholt found himself surround by Nurglings. They could not hurt him, but they kept him occupied long enough for their leader to finish off Sagremor and turn his attentions to Morholt. We could hear the sounds of Morholt’s mighty dreadnought body stomping about in the eerie darkness.

Out there in the darkness over top of Morholt’s hydraulics, we heard the sound of even more creatures approaching. From Morholt, we heard him attacked by some form of flying daemons. Brother Morholt wailed at the Nurglings at his feet while trying to fend off these new creatures. It was then that we heard Lord Templar Sagremor over the vox, “Hold your high ground. Wait for reinforcements. No matter what, I will not have you waste your lives against that which you cannot defeat. Do you copy?” We are loyal above all else, and responded that we would do so, despite the rage in our hearts urging us to join the battle. And that was the last we heard from Lord Templar Sagremor.

Moments later, Brother Morholt was surrounded and if we could have seen, I’m sure it would have looked as bad as it sounded over the vox. It only took the giant Daemon minutes to destroy the servos on the dreadnought and Brother Morholt was done. The daemons took what they came for and left…leaving us to collect our fallen brothers and return to the ship.

Thanks, I wasn't really sure how to end it well, but your suggestion works. I'll have to add it, with your permission of course.

of course. personally i love fluff battle reports, so keep them coming (mabe add to the thread title "blog"?)

i'll post later with my thoughts on the second battle.

Archived