Re-rolling Dice during Assault

Redleg

Just played my 3rd 40k game and my buddy used Boss Snikrot who has the following special rule...

"Snikrot may reroll all failed rules in an assault"

I interpret this as the turn Snikrot assaults into close combat, he rerolls any dice that fail to hit. But in subsequent turns of close combat, he does not have the ability to reroll.

My buddy thinks an assault is ongoing so long as there are survivors (assuming no fall backs), and Snikrot can continue to reroll failed dice.

Can somebody clarify? Thanks.

Your buddy is correct. You are incorrect.

If they wanted it your way they would say "On the turn that Snikrot charges..."

If you want some rules to compare it to check out the preferred enemy USR and the chaplains ability in the latest SM Codex.

I interpret this as the turn Snikrot assaults into close combat, he rerolls any dice that fail to hit. But in subsequent turns of close combat, he does not have the ability to reroll.

As has been mentioned, he can re-roll every turn. The problem is GW's use of the word "assault" where "close combat" or "melee" would have been better — it kind of implies an assault happens on only the turn in which the unit charges another unit, when actually GW uses it to mean any time models in base-to-base contact fight each other, regardless of whether a charge was involved.

While I agree with everyone about the reading of the rule, I wanted to add the following:

Assault is a phase. as odd as the word feels in use this way "charge" is typically used to indicate the instigation of an assault, while "assault" is the round, for however many turns it lasts.

Archived