WGBG with Cyclone missile Launchers are amazing !

megamat008

Greetings fellow wolves,

Yesterday I was up against one of the filthiest panzee lists ever made by on of my mates :P, who had 2 Fire Prisms, a Farseer, an Avatar and 5, yes 5 Wave Serpents mounting 3 Fire Dragons squads, 1 Dire Avenger and 1 Guardian squad, and 2 Pathfinder squads on foot.

I was playtesting my Drop Pod list for the first time under 5th ed, which can befound at the bottom of this post:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=139042

We had 4 objectives to control.

He got first turn and shot my Sniper scouts to the last man despite their 3+ cover save.

During the game I made some mistakes, i.e dropping my Blood Claws on an objective to guard it, and my GH with the WGBG closer to his lines, while I shoud have done the opposite, especially as my DWML was too far to do anything useful, except finish off a lone Dire Avenger.

Well in the end he had 2 objectives and me none, a stunned and disarmed Prism contesting one, and refusing to die to the combined shooting and charge of 2 GH squads : 2 PP, 1 MG, 1 AC, 2 PF, 1 FB and heaps of S4 hits :cuss

My Ven Dread also proved extremely tough, bearing the shots of 9 Fire Dragons and ducking their Melta Bombs for 3 CC turns before finally being destroyed (he had lost his CCW, that's why the combat lasted so long).

But in the first place I wanted to tell you how well my WGBL and WGBG performed.

In the end I had only lost 3 Fenrisian wolves and the Terminator with Storm Bolter from this squad.

The PA WG passed all his 3+ armour saves and 4+ cover saves, while the other WGBG used all their RC to survive.

But the amount of firepower that they put out is scary.

During their first shooting phase they destroyed a serpent, which allowed a GH squad to shoot the disembarking guardians to bits.

They also shook or stunned the Prisms for the most part of the game.

The best is yet to come : On turn 3 a squad of Fire Dragons dismebark from their Serpent just in front of their cover, with the intent to vaporise my proud WG.

As I said their shooting only kills 3 wolves and a WGBG with SB.

During my shooting phase I choose to fire Frag missiles, as the Dragons were quite bunched up after their disembarkation.

I roll for scatter and score... 48 HITS, yes 48 HITS :devil:

There was 5 dice scoring hits and the only scatter was 3", so a hit, and I managed to catch 8 Dragons under the small blast.

Needless to say when the dust settled off, all that was remaining were fragments of orange armour plates and meat :nuke:

In the end I'm quite happy with my list except for the sniper scouts , unfortunately I can't modify it before my tournament which is next week, otherwise I'd have replaced them by a TL Heavy Flamer Dread in a DP.

Though I'll be facing lots of Nidzilla, CSM and Daemons so they should prove useful, especially if I get first turn.

Yeah, I was actually wondering about this combination myself . . . I was thinking about two possibilities -

4 WGBG w/ TDA, 2 w/ CML and basic equipment aside (including RCs) from that with either a WGBL w/ CML

OR

4 WGBG w/ TDA, 2 w/ CML and basic equipment aside (including RCs) from that with a Wolf Priest w/ HP&B.

The first choice would have alot more firepower at higher BS for the Battle Leader, but the second group would be tremendously more survivable. But I'm not sure if either choice is cost effective. But man, talk about a mobile devastator squad. . .

Well Healing Potions and Balms is redundant with the RC. Trust me, you don't fail a lot of re-rollable 2+ saves :lol:

Yeah, but you only get to use that re-rollable save once per model. And if I put a Wolf Priest out there, I'd be hanging that group out there in the middle of the board as a bullet magnet to take the heat off the rest of my force . . . don't know if it'd work as I think in theory, but it'd probably be pretty interesting.

Guest WG Vrox

Just FYI for ya as the issue may get brought up in the tournament. Since stealth cloaks are considered wear gear we are not able to take them, only weapons may be taken from C: SM.

WG Vrox

Besides HPaB only work for armor saves, so won't help when you fail a cover or SS save.

Incorrect. The HP&Bs entry says that it allows you to ignore the first failed "save." Doesn't specify what kind. So if you get to take a save of whatever sort and fail it, you can ignore it. Armor, cover, or invulnerable. Pretty nifty, huh?

Besides HPaB only work for armor saves, so won't help when you fail a cover or SS save.

Incorrect. The HP&Bs entry says that it allows you to ignore the first failed "save." Doesn't specify what kind. So if you get to take a save of whatever sort and fail it, you can ignore it. Armor, cover, or invulnerable. Pretty nifty, huh?

Yeah, I actually stumped my local blackshirt on that one. Very very handy 25 pts spent. Especially with a TDA unit and whatnot

Well you must be right, besides by RAI it seems quite logical, as the Wolf Priest wouldn't say "I can't heal you sorry, my balms only patch up TDA armour, not Storm Shields" ;)

The weapons against which it would be the most useful should be plasma weapons, which ignore the 2+ save, but don't cause ID.

Archived