New life to Long Fangs?

Guest WG Vrox

Guest WG Vrox

Ok I was reading Megamats Battle report with the success of the CML and I was thinking to bad you can't have a LF PL join the squad to split fire, then it struck me like a thunder bolt.

Why not have a WGBL in TDA CML PW/SS with 4 wolves join a LF squad. Could the PL not effectively split the firing of the squad still and the wolves would provide the squad the much needed fodder. I may have to break out the LF I have had in their blisters for the last 6 years and paint them up.....

Can any wolf brother find a flaw in this tactica?

WG Vrox

I can see what he means.

The issue with Fangs is that they lack any ablative wounds, so lose effectiveness as soon as they take fire.

With a WGBL and 4 wolves with them, they would have 5 heavy weapons, could still split fire onto 2 targets, and would have 4 wolves to remove in case of casualties.

However, the wolves IIRC are a retinue. Can a retinued character join another unit as well? I always thought not.

With the new "only troops can hold objectives" you shouldn't be surprised if youre opponent ignores the Longfangs.

lolololol..... ignore at their peril i say- my long fangs almost always take out many times their points worth!!

To add- you can have 4 long fangs, a long fang pack leader AND a WG leader, AND a WGBL, not that you get any more heavy weapons, but i'd rather lose him than my split fire- Recently i've been putting a Wolf Priest on a bike (with healing pots) with 4x wolves with my L fangs, when the wolves are dead and the LF's have done what they need to he zooms off to where he's needed next!

Sorry I dont understand the supposed fragility of longfangs. Lets look at this:

Yeah, they are a 200-250 point unit. So are Grey Hunters and Bloodclaws. Space wolves are just plain expensive.

There are only five of them. So? They dont have meatshields.... they shouldnt need them. With the new cover rules they should always always be in it, and in elivated cover if possible.

They are high points, my opponent will kill them! Thats 4rth edition. In fifth they are but one KP.

They dont do enough for their cost. I respectfully disagree and put fourth that upwards of three dead tanks per round is worth their points.

Guest WG Vrox

It's not the fragility or the cost effectivness that got me thinking about adding the WGBL to the LF squad, but yeah if I had a choice of loosing a Fenris wolf or a long fang with a las cannon I sure would rather loose the wolf.

But more of what my realization is meant to confer is when you have 3 CMLs in one squad and the first missle destroys the target, thats 5 wasted missles. For my points I would rather have one WGBL with a CML in a squad that can split it's fire and while he's there he might as well bring along his wolves.

Points wise I would run the WGBL as mentioned with 2 Fen Wolves and 3 LFs + PL. 2 LCs 1 ML. that comes out to be 180ish for LF and 140ish for WGBL.

WG Vrox

edit: typos

i thought you couldnt give anything to the long fang packleader. i thought all he could take was a ccw and a bolt pistol as well as that as long as he didnt shoot only then could the squad divide fire.

however if yall are correct then 6 missiles would be deadly against any army.

Guest WG Vrox
i thought you couldnt give anything to the long fang packleader. i thought all he could take was a ccw and a bolt pistol as well as that as long as he didnt shoot only then could the squad divide fire. However if yall are correct then 6 missiles would be deadly against any army.

sorry should have specified I was making reference to a WG retinue vs. joining a LF unit. the Retinue having the ability to send out 6 missles.

That's pretty interesting. Even if you only put a WGBL in Termie Armor with an assault cannon. You could have the 5 Long Fangs, 2 with heavy bolters and 2 with Lascannon. Would be an effective squad to hammer on hordes AND the tanks each turn using the WGBL's wolves as ablative wounds.

So long as you can keep the long fangs in cover you're wolves will end up with 4+ saves.

The wolves don't form a retinue. It says you can join other units, you just treat it as a mixed unit when removing casualties.

So here's what I'm thinking.

WGBL termie, AC/FB

WG x3 Termie, AC/PF

WG x4 Combi Plasma

Drop pod

WGBL Termie, CML/Storm bolter/Frost Blade

Wolves x4

Long Fangs ML, PC, PC, Plasma Gun

There's some Hard Boys abuse for you.

It also specificly says the wolves form a unit with the IC who takes them.... they are in every way shape and form a retinue.... that doesnt stop them from joining another unit because of their special rules.

So long as you can keep the long fangs in cover you're wolves will end up with 4+ saves.

The wolves don't form a retinue. It says you can join other units, you just treat it as a mixed unit when removing casualties.

So here's what I'm thinking.

WGBL termie, AC/FB

WG x3 Termie, AC/PF

WG x4 Combi Plasma

Drop pod

WGBL Termie, CML/Storm bolter/Frost Blade

Wolves x4

Long Fangs ML, PC, PC, Plasma Gun

There's some Hard Boys abuse for you.

Do you mind if I toy around with this a bit, and try to make an effective list?

The drop pod squad is only about 500 points. That includes the character, pod, and 7 wolf guard. It's a healthy chunk of an army but you're going to spend about that much if you run a bodyguard no matter what.

The WGBL with a heavy weapon comes in under 200 points, And that's a bs 5 heavy 2 CML. Plus four additional wounds in your long fang squad. Long fangs come in at 200 for 4 decently equipped. So you're looking at 1100 by the time you throw in your venerable dreadnought. That covers 3 of your HQs and now it's just a matter of picking up troops and maybe another tank or two. For 2500 you get another HQ to play with but most of your points are still going to Gray Hunters and Blood Claws.

Archived