Space Wolves Questions

Kaine

I've a few questions about SW in the 5th edition, now the new faq allows them to take vehicles from the new sm codex.

1. If they do take a vehicle from the new sm codex, i assume they use the costs for options from that vehicle entry ?

2. If i take a storm shield, do i get 3+ or 4+, it says that the entry on the quick ref sheet at the back of the codex is only for reference and to use the war gear details from the "sm codex" (could mean old or new) for wargear thats not given a detailed entry.

3. Similar to (2), if an item doesnt exist in the new SM codex, do i use the entry from the old SM codex (if the item is still applicable in 5th) notably this includes the Holy Relic and Reductor.

4. If the answer for both 2 and 3 is yes, isnt it a bit weird that your using two different sm codex's for rules.

5. How many kill points are a character + bodyguard (says they form one squad).

Thanks

1. Use the SM Codex for all vehicles EXCEPT for Venerable Dreadnought and Leman Russ Exterminator.

2. 3+ as per new Space Marine Codex.

3. If there is no corresponding entry in the Space Marine codex you cannot take it from our Codex.

4. Moot question as both are no's.

5. Have to get a more experienced Wolf to answer this one....

Sorry I'm new here, but I saw the questions and had to answer.

Most have already been answered, but for 5, the HQ and the WGBG are worth 2 killpoints, since retinue's count for 1 and the HQ count for 1.

Really?... I've been sick and am drugged up right now but I'm almost 100% positive that retinues work now as the HQ as an upgrade as you have to kill the whole squad to get any kill points right? I mean it's an HQ choice then, only when the rest of the squad dies off that the IC actually becomes an IC again... ugh I think I just answered myself, I guess it is 2 KP's...

Unless the IC dies before his retinue... then its just one kill point. Crazy sneaky git tactic that one is eh?

And since the IC is essentially a "squad upgrade" at that point, there's really no way that the IC should die before the rest of the squad. Yay wound allocation.

Depends.... you may wish to allocate to the IC to have him die before the squad does to deny a kill point if he counts as one kp if he dies as a squad upgrade.

I really dont know if they count as separate units if the rest of the squad, as a BG is pretty much the same unit as far as that goes. It's not attaching the IC to another squad, it's making a squad around him...Could you point out a pg number or paraphrase where you are coming from GM? I woulda thought that they only count as 1kp combined...

I Cant, as I dont have a rulebook on me... what I can point out though is in the codices retinues/bodygaurds etc are all taken as their own HQ choice the doesnt take up an HQ slot... with the exception of a tau ethereals firewarrior bodygaurd I believe. Space wolves are a bit odd in that like dark eldar there wasnt really a huge to do about retinues back then.... they just kind a were. The FAQ states that a WG is part of whatever FOS he joins... so it could be argued that they are the same HQ choice... but a space marine captians command squad is a seperate kill point.

Hmmm, seems like an interesting enigma...If it counts as the same FOC slot, then it should prolly be all just one unit, but, if as you say, the space marines command squad counts as a separate kill point, that would seem to indicate they are 2 kps....ugh. This is why a new dex would be nice;) keep all the same stuff, clarify outdated rules...

You know thats not how itll work though... Id hate to go the way of the most recent chaos codex.... *shudders*

As for the Command squad, they count as a kill point because they count as a seperate FOC selection... even if they dont take up a spot. WIch implies that if your opponenet kills ALL of the wolfgaurd in your army they get an extra KP.....

*spreads hands* I play it as they are part of the unit they are attached to, and the retinue and IC are the same thing... but it can be argued all over the board.

I still believe firmly that the HQ and the WG would count as 2 kill points.

Since in Codex:SW it says that said HQ choice may be accompanied by said WG, seen WG entry for details.

So we look at WG entry, which says may be x models, assigned to HQ and form a single unit.

It does not state that they use the same FOC, that they still are an elites choice as per the WG complete entry.

I believe it's safe to say that the WGBG would be counted the same as an honor gaurd/command squad.

That's how I count it when ever I play, plus it only seems fair considering all the perks we get from 5th.

We "need" some sort of flaw. (no that wasn't entirely sarcastic)

Guest WG Vrox

I agree rahl02, it stats that a kill point is based off destroying a unit. To me this implies that a KP is not based off of the FOC but rather the unit itself. Since a HQ and WG form one unit for the sake of shooting and the like, taking out the WG and HQ would count as 2 points.

WG Vrox

Hey all, I am new to the forum, but definitely not to 40K or Space Wolves. Someone who works at my local gaming store is positive that SW will have a new codex and minis this DEC. Is there any accuracy to that at all or is that just a rumor?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the Fang, Brother. It´s a bit off topic but, no, we will get our new ´dex not befor end 2009/ spring 2010.

Guest WG Vrox
That makes less sense.... if they form one unit wouldnt that mean one kill point?

Nope, page 91 BBB

If a character has a retinue, the character and his unit are worth 1kill point each.

That makes less sense.... if they form one unit wouldnt that mean one kill point?

Nope, page 91 BBB

If a character has a retinue, the character and his unit are worth 1kill point each.

Yay for reading! :)

why didn't I think of that ;)

Archived