Vendread

Godhead

I am on the fence between TLLC/ML set up, a MM/ML setup or an AC/ML set up. I plan on running an ironclad and using the Vendread as long range support. Or am I being Dense and perhaps I should just go with something and the DCCW on the offhand? If so what would one recomend? I will be running 3 MM attack bikes and probably 2 Typhoon speeders for anti Tank, but I was thinking the TLLC on a Vendread would ensure a hit with a lascannon no matter what.

Guest WG Vrox

I would have to see the rest of your list but for close to the same price as a TLLC/ML, take MM/CCW HF mounted in a DP.

Drop him in behind a tank/transport of your choice and bless the creator for you 2nd lens membrane because those explosions are bright. With the HF you can also dual purpose him for all the fleshies that pop out after such an explosion

WG Vrox

The reason I use an assault cannon on my vendread is simply because with that man shots its horrible to waste ballistic skill five. As for making fire support out of him.... Id actually advice against it. Heres why:

Vendread- Extra armor, Lascannon, Missile Launcher- 190pts.

Wolf Gaurd Battle Leader- TDA, CML, Frostblade, Runic Charm, Meltabombs, 4 Fenrisian Wolves- 188pts.

Both have ballistic skill five and use an HQ slot. You get two points back if you drop the twin linked las to another missile launcher, gain four ablaitive wounds, an armor save as opposed to an armor value, the ability to join a squad, and a lower profile on the battlefield. All in all the WGBL is more survivable and almost as good at killing tanks and better at killing light infantry than the Ven Dread as long range support. Against most basic troopers hes almost as good in closecombat *3+ to hit, 3+ to wound as oppose to 3+to hit 2+ to wound* and has an extra attack comparatively. He can still be used against vehicles that somehow manage to be in close combat with him via the meltabombs aswell. Not to mention hes half the height if not shorter so hes harder to see and thus more likely to get a coversave vs those pesky enemy lascannons. That probly evens out a bit with venerable much of the time, but can actually give you the option of strait up blocking line of sight if desired.

But thats just my $.02

I would have to see the rest of your list but for close to the same price as a TLLC/ML, take MM/CCW HF mounted in a DP.

Drop him in behind a tank/transport of your choice and bless the creator for you 2nd lens membrane because those explosions are bright. With the HF you can also dual purpose him for all the fleshies that pop out after such an explosion

WG Vrox

actually, you wouldnt be able to flame the troops inside until the next turn. Rulebook is specific on this, that if one weapon on a vehicle/squad takes out the transport, you can't shoot the rest of the weaps into the squad inside. You CAN, however, charge in the assault phase if able.

But yeah, vendread options I know and love:

TLLC/ML is GREAT for fire support

MM/SB/CCW for a podding vendread (I dont take the flamer for the above reason) ideal for tank popping

PC/HF is great for taking out crowds of troops and light vehicles

Always take EA for your vendreads too, SL's are something a lot of ppl take too, but not myself as I'm usually either in combat, shooting, or a long long way off with my dreads.

So what about the TLLC and the DCCW w/sb or the HF? I can pop any armor needed. BS 5 that is twin linked so all I'd have to worry about is botching my pen roll. I dont have any LC in my list, but I do have 3 MM attack bikes and 2 Landspeeders with Typhoons for the Missle launchers. I will drop pod the ven dread so having said that, would the MM just be a better choice overall since a pod should put me close enough theorectically to get the extra pen dice?

Guest WG Vrox

Best thing to do is play test it before you build it, or build with Magnets so all parts are interchangable with ease. This way you can find out what you like / what is missing w/o commitment. Also you can post your list in the Army list section of the forum so we can get a better feel for what your whole list looks like.

edit typos

I somewhat prefer GM's approach, the only thing you don't gain is the old and wise and stuff, but the WGBL is a nasty addition to the army over the ven. dread. If you do take the ven. dread though, and he's not in a pod, then TLLC and ML are the way to go, then MM if he is in a pod.

In fourth I always used AC/DCCW HF, but now with the template rules I go for the PC/DCCW HF. For starters the PC has a greater range than the AC. Next there isthe AP 2 which is better than hoping for rends on termies. Finnaly as I said before, that template is staying in the general area with BS 5. Before I forget PCs also don't overheat on vehicles.

I march him up directly behind a rhino (empty) for cover as he backs up my BC/RP assault wave.

But as Vrox said, this choice isn't in a vacuum, the rest of your list will have an impact on the best course of action.

Pesronally I use him in a fire support role w/ TLLC and ML. He has earned his worth back in spades time and again. Especially in my list where long range AT is at a premium, he fills in a very necessary and valuable role. I have plenty of close range AT wih podding meltas and plasma pistols, etc. But until they arrive, he and his BS5 rerollable LC lay down some nasty fire. Plus he's fairly easy to hide behind cover or to get at least 50% behind cover so I usually always get a cover save with him too. He's the one thing I keep in my backfield to protect my whirlwind and to contest any objectives back there.

In my 'Ard Boyz 2500 list I do have a podding Ironclad and am debating whether to add in a MM/DCCW/HF Regular Dread in my 2k list. Downside is it require dropping my Whirlwind and Prolly my 4th troops choice

My Venny dreads are both equipped with MM/Dreadnaught CCW, mostly because I nabbed them in a trade-deal with a black reach box set. That being said, combining those two with drop pods, I've been able to use them both as extremely potent anti-tank (Drop 'em next to a vindicator, melt it, repeat), a fire-magnet with appalling survivability (Extra armor + Venerable = the things almost never fail to see close combat), and a close combat beast (Str 10 power weapons with 3 attacks is a great way to wipe out commanders).

Archived