Death or Glory

Redleg

Here is what happened in a game last night:

I wanted to move my Razorback away from an Ork squad, although my friend had positioned 1 boy in base to base contact and another boy in front of the vehicle's path. The rest of his squad, including the Nob with Power Claw were 2 inches (and then further strung out) away from those 2 boys.

With my desired direction of movement and desired distance, I would only "tank shock" or run over the 1 boy in front of me.

I'm assuming all the Orks are still fearless (because of their numbers). But could the Nob with Power Claw still Death or Glory me since the rulebook says "one of the models in the vehicle's path can stand and attempt to destroy it rather than move out of the way..."

To me, the rule as written suggests only the one boy (with Choppa and Pistol) could D or G the Razorback. But there are some cases in the game where so long as one model is "affected" the rest of the unit is also.

I just wanted some viewpoints on it. In the game, the Nob immobilized the Razorback although he was over 2 inches away from the base to base figures and was not in the path of the tank.

Thanks.

there is no restriction as to which model in the unit cam make the attack, it is not considered an assult so standard rules do not apply, however standard hit/wound rules DO apply, and I take it the rhino was moving over 6 inches in order to tank shock (if not why not).

So the nob (who only gets ONE attack btw) woudl actually have a hard time hurting the tank, but it is possible to do.

Gah you made me crack open my rule book... but yes it is an automatic hit, but it HAS to be made against front armour, even if a CC attack is made, you can also throw grenades or shoot it instead, but only get a single hit.

So the Nob with PK will need 3+ to glance, 4+ to pen as opposed to 2+/3+.

*Edit*

I have to question the wisdom of the attack.. after all for the boyz mob to be fearless there has to be at least 12 of them.... thats a bit risky to take a single shot at a tank even with a PK.

Ahh yes your right, I remembered the rule wrong... but still the extra boy is only 6 points.... my whole point being its something of a risk to throw away a scoring unit (with obvious upgrades, which are NOT cheap, espically in a horde army) for what can be considered a slim chance of stopping the tank.

Espically when they could choose to stand to one side and assault teh tank the next turn and pretty much garuntee to rip it apart, its less of a risk but has the same reward.

I wanted to move my Razorback away from an Ork squad, although my friend had positioned 1 boy in base to base contact and another boy in front of the vehicle's path. The rest of his squad, including the Nob with Power Claw were 2 inches (and then further strung out) away from those 2 boys.

With my desired direction of movement and desired distance, I would only "tank shock" or run over the 1 boy in front of me.

I'm assuming all the Orks are still fearless (because of their numbers). But could the Nob with Power Claw still Death or Glory me since the rulebook says "one of the models in the vehicle's path can stand and attempt to destroy it rather than move out of the way..."

To me, the rule as written suggests only the one boy (with Choppa and Pistol) could D or G the Razorback. But there are some cases in the game where so long as one model is "affected" the rest of the unit is also.

I just wanted some viewpoints on it. In the game, the Nob immobilized the Razorback although he was over 2 inches away from the base to base figures and was not in the path of the tank.

Thanks.

I would have to agree with your interpitation. It doesn't say one model of a unit that in the the vehicle's path, but one model in the vehicle's path.

Thanks.

I would have to agree with your interpitation. It doesn't say one model of a unit that in the the vehicle's path, but one model in the vehicle's path.

Only models in the path of the vehicle can DoG. Your quote is the reason why (though you misquoted an important part of it). It clearly states that a model from the unit that is in the path of the vehicle can DoG. So in the case you described the nob was out of luck and should not have gotten a hit on teh razorback. If any model in the unit could DoG then it would've said as much.

Mordekiem has this exactly right.

If a unit that has been attacked by tank shock passes

its Morale test, one of its models in the vehicle’s path

can stand and attempt to destroy it rather than move

out of the way (this is potentially a rather suicidal thing

to do!).

If the model who is doing DoG would not be physically contacted by the path of the tank, then they are NOT allowed a DoG attack. The only model in your example that is allowed a DoG attack would be the Boy.

Hey...thanks for all the answers. That was my 4th game of 40k and I'm still learning. My 500 point Marine army lost, but it appears we didn't exactly play by the rules in a few cases (See the Warphead thread I posted earlier).

Here's a D or G related question:

Is Tank Shock the only way for my Razorback to move through one or 2 opposing models? Even if the bulk of the squad isn't base to base or even in the way of the Razorback? In the example from the game, I didn't really care about Tank Shock, I just needed to reposition my tank and the boy was in the way.

Thanks

Archived