Ork bikers "exhaust fumes" cover saves

Hi folks

Just wondering if the "exhaust cover save" granted to ork bikers (4+) is for the unit causing the fumes or units behind said unit of bikers. I am asking as I had a battle saturday where the ork player had a single unit of bikers. He claimed they recieved this cover save, even after recieving multiple direct hits from a vindicator demolisher cannon. If that is the case, can you fit these exhausts on my tanks as I'm not concerned with greenhouse gases in 40k! :lol:

Cheers!

Yes you can fit those exhausts - The ork bikers giving their 4+ exhaust save to friendly units behind them is from the old codex. Nowadays with 5th Ed EVERY unit gives a 4+ cover save to units behind them. (exhausts or not.)

EDIT oops I didn't read OP properly - the ork bikers do get a cover save from their own exhausts, something that's just for them.

Always makes me wonder how they do that though, seeing as the exhaust cloud should be behind them. Also It's hard to see how a cloud of exhaust smoke could protect you from a S10 ordnance blast, It's not really something you could hunker down behind. still that's orks for you!

Erm... as an Ork player (they're my secondary army, CSM/SM come first), any way, I have never come across this rule not once in the Codex, so I don't think this is actually 100% accurate, I don't think they would use anything like Smoke Launchers like the Imperium forces do.

Check P.46 of C:Orks for the warbikes entry, they DO in fact have a rule called Exhaust Cloud which gives them a 4+ cover save...

Ohh and Orks is also one of my secondary armies, Dark Angels will always be my main, but my primary is actually Grey Knights now.

*Edit* Spelling.

The exhaust cloud specifically effects the bikers. However, if his bikers are lined up in front of his troops, then they will receive a 4+ cover save for you shooting through the bikers. As such, an ork army can have a 4+ on everyone and anyone.

I cannot believe I missed this rule! I used bikers in a game recently, and I usually double check their rules before the game starts! I can't believe I missed that!

Do Space Marines get this sort of thing too I wonder? Only I hope to expand my SM army with more bikes!

Yes you can fit those exhausts - The ork bikers giving their 4+ exhaust save to friendly units behind them is from the old codex. Nowadays with 5th Ed EVERY unit gives a 4+ cover save to units behind them. (exhausts or not.)

EDIT oops I didn't read OP properly - the ork bikers do get a cover save from their own exhausts, something that's just for them.

Always makes me wonder how they do that though, seeing as the exhaust cloud should be behind them. Also It's hard to see how a cloud of exhaust smoke could protect you from a S10 ordnance blast, It's not really something you could hunker down behind. still that's orks for you!

But unless they're riding abreast in the straight line, the bikes behind the front ones are going to be obscured in the roiling mass of fume-laden smoke, making it hard to pin down precisely where eveything is. So you order an artillery hit on the middle of the cloud, and shucks if it doesn't turn out most of them were to the west of the blast radius.

Archived