Wolf Totem...

roon

Hi all,

I want to add a Grey Hunter with a Wolf Totem to my army. Now acording to our codex, we have to refer to a Sacred Standard from Codex: Space Marines.

Now I have been looking but all I can find are a Chapter Banner (as our Great Company banner) and a Company banner.

So where do we find the rules for our Wolf Totem? Or did I miss somerhing?

Thanks.

I was talking to a buddy of mine last night about this. Technically, and I believe according to the recent SW FAQ, we no longer get a Wolf Totem options because, as you noted, the Sacred Standard no longer exists in the C:SM. However, my personal gaming group feels bad for me on this point, especially because we have to commit so many resources to simply having a wolf guard to raise leadership values to 9. So my gaming group might let me keep playing according to the old usage of the Wolf Totem. You'll have to see what your gaming group of individual opponents are going to allow you to do or not do. But technically, the Wolf Totem is non-existent/useless.

In the same vein, it appears that technically our "Old and Wise" Venerable Dreadnought doesn't do anything for us either, as the roll in the new battle setup system is no longer for "first turn" but "first choice of deployment with the first turn resulting." Kinda stinks, but its hard to argue against.

But hey, look at the bright side. We have incredibly cheap Storm Shields :-D

Yea it's not something we receive anymore. If it's a pick-up game or some kind of friendly you should have no trouble using the totem. In all respects though it's not that big of a deal anymore and I don't think it's worth the bother and points.

Yea it's not something we receive anymore. If it's a pick-up game or some kind of friendly you should have no trouble using the totem. In all respects though it's not that big of a deal anymore and I don't think it's worth the bother and points.

Just out of curiousity, what has changed that its not a big deal anymore?

In general, I hate relying on base leadership 8 for my morale checks. I fail them far too often. . . and I mean FAR too often.

Just out of curiousity, what has changed that its not a big deal anymore?

In general, I hate relying on base leadership 8 for my morale checks. I fail them far too often. . . and I mean FAR too often.

Well the fact that you're rolling on 8 almost all the time for Ld helps things out, also I almost always have an IC of sorts attached to each squad, plus in pod armies you'll have plenty of time to regroup for sure. I just don't like it as much as I did in the past.

Guest WG Vrox

Only option you have at them moment is to add a HQ or PL to the wolf pack to bump their LD.

In the same vein, it appears that technically our "Old and Wise" Venerable Dreadnought doesn't do anything for us either, as the roll in the new battle setup system is no longer for "first turn" but "first choice of deployment with the first turn resulting." Kinda stinks, but its hard to argue against.

I know there has been a few threads on the old and wise, I take the argument that our rules state if there is a roll to determine who goes first then that roll may be re-rolled. So for me if we roll up a senerio that clumps the deployment and first turn together we get to reroll that roll. We are paying way to many points for that HQ not to debate that issue.

WG Vrox

Thanks for the replies people. So unfortunatly that piece of wargear is gone. I wanted to use it as it looks cool on the table, and it brings a nice boost. For Ld boosting I will convert 2 more WGL for my Grey Hunter packs then. I might be allowed to use a banner as Grey Mage in friendly games, the won't be allowed in tournaments. So I better get us to playing with the WGL's. I'll post some pics of those when I got then finished :lol: Work on them will start tonight...

Guest WG Vrox

Roon,

Even if you can't use it as a standard, if you have a banner bring it and put in on the table, nothing puts fear and doubt into an enemy like a nicely painted/converted banner. I plan to run one in my army for that purpose alone, but I think you will find that you can almost count on your oppenent making it a priority to go after it and try to destroy the unit it is with almost to the detriment of good tactics. So plan well and bring death to all those who oppose the Wolves.

WG Vrox.

Vrox:

Although it sounds like a nice tactic, I'm affraid about some WYSIWYG issues. It may make people think it IS a banner carrier, along with bonuses for the army, but in fact it is not. Just a model that LOOKS like it carries a banner. To me it is the same as having a model running around with a powerweapon that is in fact a normal close combat weapon for your idea. But makes the other player think that it can chew through their armour without any saves allowed.

I think you'll get the idea. I think it's still very cool to have a banner running around in any army, but for tournaments I won't use it, just to prevent those possible WYSIWYG issues. Or when I have those models I can use it as a Great Company Banner instead. But not as a banner without any intended gamebonus.

BUT no way stopping me from making such a cool model right...? <_<

WYSIWYG within reason. At the outset of every battle I ask during deployment what each suad is and has. I also volunteer the info during my own deplayment. For me it isn't about surprise gear but the matching of wits and the luck of the dice. I too have a banner holder and he is in every army via the GHs, he has thier fist. No one every thinks it is a real banner, haven't ever even been asked about it. But like I said I announce the loadout at the begining.

Guest WG Vrox

I would agree with you Roon if there was a current rule for banners or standards or the like, but since the rule is void, having a banner is just showing your colors on the battlefield. The important thing would be like G.A.K. stated during the deployment phase just make sure you mention the banner is for estatic purposes.

WG Vrox

edit: spelling

G.A.K. and Vrox:

Good replies guys! You just convinced me to add a Grey Hunter with a banner. Very valid to explain the estatic purpose, and that being the only purpose of the banner. I always explain the things people can expect from my army, no holding back. So presenting a banner for the looks is of course legal all the way without giving any difficulties. :devil:

Thanks guys!

Archived