No Retreat

Mycroft Holmes

Situation:

Assault squad charges 2 Hormogaunt squads with in Synapse Range.

The Assault squad takes 2 wounds.

Each Hormogaunt squad takes 2 wounds.

Assault squad wins the combat by 2.

The Hormogaunt squads trigger No Retreat, because they're with in Synapse Range and ignore morale checks.

Question:

Does each squad trigger 2 No Retreat armor rolls because they don't have to take morale checks?

OR

Do the Hormogaunts take 2 No Retreat armor rolls total and split them up between?

I know what I think happens, I know what we did and I'm wondering if people agree.

Mycroft

It's my understanding that nids within synapse range auto pass all leadership tests, which does not make them fearless. In other words its like they auto-roll snake-eyes on their leadership test so they never have to take no retreat saves. At least thats the way the wording in their codex makes it seem for synapse control.

It's my understanding that nids within synapse range auto pass all leadership tests, which does not make them fearless.

Reread the No Retreat rule. It includes any units that "are assumed to pass morale checks automatically" or something like that.

Mycroft

Normally, if a unit loses in HtH and has to retreat, there is the risk that it might get overrun. Fearless units don't have the risk to be completely overrun, so to compensate they take some extra wounds when they are badly overwhelmed.

In a multiple combat, each unit that failed its morale test and had to flee would have the risk of being run down, so if they are fearless units that means that each of the unit will instead suffer the additional hits.

The no retreat rules don't seem to be very clear on whether EACH unit has to make two saves or if those two saves should be shared between the units.

When I read it I think that they share the wounds because the rules don't say EACH unit they just say the "units" must make the saves.

If it is EACH unit then there are some situations where the amount of no retreat wounds would be rather unfair IMO.

(But I do play orks a lot :rolleyes: )

The no retreat rules don't seem to be very clear on whether EACH unit has to make two saves or if those two saves should be shared between the units.

When I read it I think that they share the wounds because the rules don't say EACH unit they just say the "units" must make the saves.

If it is EACH unit then there are some situations where the amount of no retreat wounds would be rather unfair IMO.

(But I do play orks a lot ;) )

A)

No Retreat is listed in moral checks.

Moral checks are made by single units. No Retreat is made instead of a moral check.

The rule is also pretty specific in that it that it states that the unit takes tests based on how many wounds it's side lost bye.

B)

How would you even divy up wounds if it was across multiple units?

If the Nid player lost by 2 could the 2 no retreat rolls be taken against his unit of 2 gaunts that have 10 guys left rather than the unit with only 1?

Are you saying that you believe that GW totally forgot to include a section on what would happen if multiple Fearless units lost a combat?

I don't see anything in the rules that suggest this is how it's supposed to work

Mycroft

Archived