Thinking of starting Deathwatch

Mechanicum

SEE MY SECOND POST FOR MY FLUFF QUESTION

I want to create a Deathwatch force (for fun, not competative gameplay) and I am unsure what codex would best represent them.

A friend of mine suggested using standard Grey Knights for the deathwatch, his reasoning for this was;

- NFW strengh bonus = knowing the vunerable points on Xenos to cause max damage

- Shrouding = advanced anti-targeting systems build into power amour

- can remember the name of the anti-psyker rule = anti eldar training

The anti deamon rules are currently broken, so could be ingorned if nessary

What do you guys think, and due you have anybetter suggestions, I was thinking about Sternguard Vet's but the need for troop choices neduces the model count.

Help would be greatly appricated.

I know its probably the textbook answer (and least fun), but deathwatch are kill teams arnt they? and arnt the death watch standard marines. Well trained but standard. Personaly if i was going to build a deathwatch "army" id use standard codex marines vets as a basis, and arm them with different bolter rounds ect. Keep the army small but specilized. In a wayid almost be tempted to create specific squads designed and modeled to handel a certain type of unit. Tank hunters that are great against tou and eldar grav tech or something. One for dealing with tyranids/orks and other horde armys. A unit dedicated to monster hunting... but in all honestly im not sure a deathwatch army is all that easy. They are alien hunters but they act as small units, ive not read much fluff on them so im no expert. They are attached to larger forces. But still if you do make an army it could end up being one highly costomized force, afterall each marine is unique, gives you the chance to take the best aspects from every chapter.

There are rules allowing for first company detachtments for armys, just take them and you can have veterans as troop choices.

There are rules allowing for first company detachtments for armys, just take them and you can have veterans as troop choices.

Where are these rules, their not in the codex are they.

Also I was thinking, what if a chapter suffers a similar fate a the Crimson Fists, but lose their homeworld int eh process, say to a Nid attack, could said chapter, with possibley these than 250 marines strong, request to be permantly seconded to the deathwatch as an act repentance (in their eyes, not the ][) for lossing their homeworld and all hope of future recruitment.

I am sure the ][ would welcome this, maybe add in a few standard deathwatch to keep watch. As what over use would a gutted chapter have to the Imperium if it lacked the means to replenish it losses. Isn't it far better to put the leftover to good use than have them die, searching for retribution.

Thoughts anyone?

I have a Deathwatch army and I use codex SM. Sternguard are effectively just deathwatch. They have 2 attacks profile representing the true grit, and all the special ammo that the deathwatch use, so it works. I took my background largely from the first book of the Eisenhorn trilogy. I use the arbites models from necromunda to represent my 2 scout squads and then I have 2 or 3 deathwatch kill teams in drop pods with pedro kantor to make them scoring. The rest of my army is a unit of terminators (when I found a plastic termie deathwatch pad on the sprue I couldn't help myself) and a Deathwatch dreadnought. I don't know if they own dreadnoughts, but I figured if I'm going to have termies then I may as well go the whole hog and get myself a dreadnought.

Random Guy

I second (or third? :)) the suggestion to use normal Space Marines to represent the Deathwatch. In particular, Sternguard Vets (again, already mentioned) are nearly the same thing as the DW Kill Team represented in the GW PDF rules ... only hella better! Take Pedro Kantor (as a "counts as" DW commander) as one of your HQs and you can count your Sternguard Vets as Deathwatch Kill Team scoring units!

Ally in a pair of ISTs and an Inquisitor or Inquisitor Lord from either of the Inquisition codexes to give your list some "proper" Inquisitorial flavor, and you're good to go. (I recommend the I-Lord for the increased potency at bargain basement price, and also for keeping an Elite slot open for an allied Assassinorum Operative; I'd recommend a Callidus or Eversor.)

*Shameless Plug* You could always use the homegrown rules we're developing in 7eAL's Inquisition Project! See my sig for a link, and feel free to contribute. *End Shameless Plug*

Sternguard are probably the best option. They are not only fairly representative of DW, but they're also legal, being in a codex.

Archived