Another quick queston...

Wadey13

So reading through some other threads here, it seems like you can equip two weapons AND a storm shield, I didn't realise this was possible. For example, a power weapon, storm shield, and a combi-weapon. Obviously, If you had a bolt pistol, power weapon, and storm shield, you WOULDN'T get an extra attack.

I also didn't realise it was possible to get a three item equipment loadout on a Captain (and some others, but i'll use the Captain as an example), as RAW would say that you are REPLACING the bolt pistol/chainsword on your model, so as he only has TWO items to replace, how do you end up with three (i.e. the loadout example described above)?

It's not something I'm all that bothered about, as it's something I probably won't use (expensive!) and I'm not all that finicky about rules, so I'd probably let an opponent do it, as it seems within reason to me. I'm just curious and interested!

Cheers guys

No, there is absolutely no way to do this.

The only unit that can do things like that, off the top of my head, would be honor guard. You could have a guy that has a bolt pistol, bolter, power weapon, and a relic blade. But that's because it doesn't say you have to replace something to take the relic blade. It just says you can take one for x points.

There's been some debate around my store about vet sergeants being able to take a pair of lightning claws and a powerfist.

Their arguement is a little nutty, but if you look at the assault sergeants options, it seems hard to argue their raw. I'm going to look around a little more, though.

Other people are wrong,

you cannot replace a bolt pistol with Storm Shield, chainsword with Power Weapon, and then replace the bolt pistol again with a combi-melta, it just doesn't work, you can replace something you don't have.

If someone tried doing this to me i would say "no, no no no, learn to read!!!"

Some people need to READ their codex.

pg 132 Command Squad Model Options

[May Replace bolt pistol / chainsword with ]

-

"Any veteran may have the following

- melta bombs [points]

- a storm shield [points]"

So yes, your command squad can ride bikes, equiped with plasma rifles, carying a lighning claw and a storm shield each. The standard bearer may then pile a banned on top of that.

The only debateable issues are

1. Can the standard bearer take any options?

2. Can the company champion?

3. Can the apothecary?

Everything else is there in black and white

Yes I understand and agree. The thread in question was the one a few lines below this one, 1st company uber command squad or something. Anyway, I honestly can't be arsed reading through all the replies but it seemed no-one corrected the guy on it so I became curious as I like you, couldn't work out how that made sense or was possible!

And Maniclurker that sounds ridiculous doesn't it?! As the profile is written, that would actually be possible, but I make a point of not playing people who do that sort of thing, it's irritating isn't it? It's a shame really, I hadn't even noticed that one until you pointed it out, but that's the only place where they haven't been tight with the wargear options and wording. If they hadn't've written "Pair of lightning claws" and left it at replacing bolt pistol/chainsword with a single lightning claw at a time it'd still be tight!

Yes I understand and agree. The thread in question was the one a few lines below this one, 1st company uber command squad or something. Anyway, I honestly can't be arsed reading through all the replies but it seemed no-one corrected the guy on it so I became curious as I like you, couldn't work out how that made sense or was possible!

And Maniclurker that sounds ridiculous doesn't it?! As the profile is written, that would actually be possible, but I make a point of not playing people who do that sort of thing, it's irritating isn't it? It's a shame really, I hadn't even noticed that one until you pointed it out, but that's the only place where they haven't been tight with the wargear options and wording. If they hadn't've written "Pair of lightning claws" and left it at replacing bolt pistol/chainsword with a single lightning claw at a time it'd still be tight!

What about a conversion where the Claw parts were retractable? That might be pretty cool and the versatility would be useful in-game too.

Some people need to READ their codex.

And some people need to READ the OP.

He used a captain as example, so that's what I was going off of. I had completely forgotten about the command squads storm shields.

As to the lightning claw/powerfist conversion.... I already hate how lightning claws are modeled. When I make a model with lightning claws, I make my own, or use the chaos lord claws. Somehow, popping some nasty brass knuckles onto your powerfist allows you to strike at your regular initiative again. POOP!!!

I could not find the remark about the captain with multiple items in the 1st company command squad trhead, but I wanted to remind those of you who are focused entirely on Codex Space Marines that the army list entries in Codex Dark Angels and Codex Blood Angels are different, and that they can indeed get three items, as not all of them are replacing other items. Perhaps the post in question was refering to one of those chapters, as general Marine discussions are maybe not limited to Codex chapters.

Now why a Thunderhammer goes at I1 is a mystery to me.

Game Balance. OMG, can you imagine what would happen if you struck at regular I with hammers? The only army build for SM would include as many TH/SS termies as you can fit, Khan to make them strike at I5, and either a captain or a chaps with a TH...

So reading through some other threads here, it seems like you can equip two weapons AND a storm shield, I didn't realise this was possible. For example, a power weapon, storm shield, and a combi-weapon. Obviously, If you had a bolt pistol, power weapon, and storm shield, you WOULDN'T get an extra attack.

I also didn't realise it was possible to get a three item equipment loadout on a Captain (and some others, but i'll use the Captain as an example), as RAW would say that you are REPLACING the bolt pistol/chainsword on your model, so as he only has TWO items to replace, how do you end up with three (i.e. the loadout example described above)?

It's not something I'm all that bothered about, as it's something I probably won't use (expensive!) and I'm not all that finicky about rules, so I'd probably let an opponent do it, as it seems within reason to me. I'm just curious and interested!

Cheers guys

Long live the holster or shoulder strap! ^_^

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having 3 or even more weapons as long as the options for the unit allow it.

An example would be the eldar exarch with a pistol, powerweapon and shurikan catapult. And yes, he can shoot the catapult and then assault with the pistol and sword.

I don't have the new marine codex next to me to see if the rules allow him to take an third item or not, but technically the storm shield no longer uses a hand. It just disallows the extra attack from another CCW.

Archived