IC joining leaving squads

G. A. K.

Allow me to explain the situation...

I have 15 BCs and a RP on bike attached to the squad, I move the priest away 12", full speed, toward a tau gun line at a distance of 16". The squad advances and then runs up toward the same gun line, staying more than 2" from IC so he doesn't join. The RP assaults and kills 4, sweeps the rest; consolidates to within 2" of the BC squad. The question is this: In the tau's shooting phase is the RP actually joined to the squad??

The first item on pg 48 is clear in that you join or leave the unit in the movement phase and the paragraph dealing with ICs says you must charge with the unit you are with

The second half of the paragraph make a big deal about how if you enter within two inches of a squd as an IC you join that squad without choice, unless specific character rules keep you from ever joining a unit. e.g. The sole wulfen in a regular SW army.

My friend wasn't sure if this was ok but beleived my interpretation (he hasn't bought the book yet, and I have always been a little more knowledgable on the rules)

This is a interesting question, which part sould take presidence: 'in the movement phase', or 'within two inches'

I vote for the latter and feel it is one of many thing GW overlooks from time to time.

Guest WG Vrox
I am not looking at the rules, but per the way you explained it, the 2 inch rule overrides all. basically when a unit gets close enough to an IC to command he will take command of that squad. The're like ok were here, what do you want us to do?

I don't have the BBB on me, but in the IC section I'm about 99.9% sure there is a section stating that an IC can't join/leave a squad in the shooting and assault phase, so your theory (while nasty and credit is due if it works) cannot be done to my knowledge.

I will surely look this up at work today in about 5-6 hours.

An independent character may not join or leave a unit during the Shooting and Assault phases.

If a character does not intend to (or cannot) join a unit, it must remain more than 2" away from it

I would say that the first quote overrules all else. You can't join a unit in the Assault phase, it must be done in the movement phase. You could probably argue based on the second that you cannon actually consolidate to within 2" of your unit, as you are not joining it.

An independent character may not join or leave a unit during the Shooting and Assault phases.

If a character does not intend to (or cannot) join a unit, it must remain more than 2" away from it

I would say that the first quote overrules all else. You can't join a unit in the Assault phase, it must be done in the movement phase. You could probably argue based on the second that you cannon actually consolidate to within 2" of your unit, as you are not joining it.

Thanks Vassakov, that's exactly what I thought the BBB said, glad I don't have to look it up now. :)

Archived