WG Terminators any good?

KeithGatchalian

Guest WG Vrox

Would only suggesting running in a 1850 or higher list, lots of points but yes deadly.

WGBL CML SS FB RC WTN

WG - CML SS LC RC

WG - AC SS RC

WG - Combi-Plasma/SS RC

WG - Combi-Plasma/SS RC

WP - PW/PP RA RC HB&P

If your going to do the SS thing, Why not add a Wolf Priest with HB&P. Remember the first failed save inv or armour is ignored. Just make sure you roll any inv saves first

WG Vrox

Edit: forgot the RCs

Actually if he wants three units it HAS to be in an 1850 or higher list really.... otherwise their wont be enough HQ's to make the squads and he wont have the points for more than those units and two viable troops.

Careful with the WGBG units.... they are wonderful and powerful... and expensive. More than greyknight expensive.

Guest WG Vrox
Well in that case the WP wont work either. Didn't see his thoughts on the running three of them. In that case I would only suggest it in a 2500+ or apoc game. Three of them would be 1850 in itself, lol

WG Termies are best for there flexibilty. One unit really can kill anything on the board, often in one turn or less.

In one game they podded behind a Baneblade (4+ a Wolf Lord) and with the help of a Pred caused enough damage to more or less stop it from doing anything in it's turn. Then they charged it and Power Fisted it out of existance.

The took on 50+ Guardsmen in CC and killed them to a man (not joking, only my Lord survived) We reckon that was 800+ points from a 350 point unit. So yes, WGTDA is awesome. Remember to add the FW kit for added goodness. It absolutely rocks.

i guess we can do a very very very diehard squad... 4+ the wgbl, with 3 cyclone launcher, all with storm shield. runic charmand wolf pelt... you have a unite with great anti tank and anti infantry firepower ( 6 missiles every turn ), wich do not suffer saturation and can deal 4 attack each when charged.. this is pure awesomess!!

I'm building my 1850 list around such a squad. I'm emphasizing CC and using a LR to get them into the fray. I'll be using a Wolf Priest with a BG. Will be the (very expensive) lynchpin of my force.

and yes....I'm using the Forgeworld minis. My God they're awesome.

Would only suggesting running in a 1850 or higher list, lots of points but yes deadly.

WGBL CML SS FB RC WTN

WG - CML SS LC RC

(et. al.)

We have to be very careful to be legal in our customization of Wolf Guard units. Currently, these two models are illegal. The Space Wolf codex wargear section specifically states that you can only have two weapons per model. The storm shield is listed under the weapons wargear category, and is therefore considered a weapon. So you have 3 weapons, one too many on both these models. CML, Storm Shield, and Frost Blade/Lightning Claw . . .

The WG specific entry says that you have special permission to buy a Storm Bolter along with the CML, so you could have 3 weapons if one of them was the SB, but currently, as I understand it, your setup is illegal.

I would be very glad to have someone prove me wrong. I'd love to have more more than 2 weapons on each WG.

Guest WG Vrox

agggh, your right. So much for just finishing painting this guy, where were you yesturday with your words of wisdom.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/WG_Vrox/Omega014a.jpg

To help Keith's question, I've been using WGBG's to extreme success in 5th edition, they're just unstoppable if equipped for everything, problem is they are expensive, and if you want to roll 3 units and you're not on a 2500 point list, I suggest doing something along the lines of:

2x WGBG combi-melta/plas and storm shield

2x WGBG powerfist/thunder hammer and storm shield

Another thing to think about is the CML but that's somewhat sketchy as of right now...

I usually go with the 400+ unit of death consisting of

WGBL AC/FW (2x fenrisian wolves)

WGBG AC/CF

WGBG AC/PW

WGBG combi-melta/plas /PW

WGBG thunder hammer/SS

Drop pod

Otherwise if you're going for big games go with the 500pt+ unit of death with:

WGBL AC/FW

WGBG AC/CF

WGBG AC/PW

WGBG AC/PF

(the rest in PA) WGBG combi-flamer/SS

WGBG combi-flamer/SS (frags)

WGBG combi-melta/SS (frags)

WGBG combi-melta/SS

Drop pod

This one I've ran different ways with the combi's and I really like the flamers for this unit, they're the cheapest (well next to bolters) but still pack a deadly punch with the 4 AC's you're going to kill any unit you touch (I've killed 20 ork mob with this unit first turn they dropped, and 10-man Tactical squad as well in another game). But I found my anti-tank lacking if needed so a melta/plas mixed in there isn't a bad idea, just use up the flamers first (if you're in range if not use the melta/plas) then kill off whoever used up their combi-weapon. Simple as that.

WGBL CML SS FB RC WTN

WG - CML SS LC RC

(et. al.)

We have to be very careful to be legal in our customization of Wolf Guard units. Currently, these two models are illegal. The Space Wolf codex wargear section specifically states that you can only have two weapons per model. The storm shield is listed under the weapons wargear category, and is therefore considered a weapon. So you have 3 weapons, one too many on both these models. CML, Storm Shield, and Frost Blade/Lightning Claw . . .

The WG specific entry says that you have special permission to buy a Storm Bolter along with the CML, so you could have 3 weapons if one of them was the SB, but currently, as I understand it, your setup is illegal.

I would be very glad to have someone prove me wrong. I'd love to have more more than 2 weapons on each WG.

The codex says characters may only have 2 weapons. WG BG are not characters.

But there is another line that says models with heavy weapons may not use other weapons.

Darn, the FAQ says they may have a single handed weapon in addition to the heavy weapon.

So....LC, CML, SS legal?

SS= weapon for SW, not wargear. Sorry.

Another thing..... Wolf Gaurd are characters really. They are selectable single person units. They are NOT independant characters.... just characters. A veteran seargent used to be a "character".

Guest WG Vrox

Clarification:

It stats in the updated C: SW Models with heavy weapons may not use any other weapons (unless equiped with Terminator armor when they may select addition weapons from the armoury) and cannot ride bikes. Heavy weapons are considered two handed weapons.

In the WG section of the codex, it makes the following rules for all characters, so WGBL would still fall under that catagory. Characters may only have 1 two handed weapon and 1 weapon of a single weapon catagory choice.

Pretty clear on this now, ty all.

WG Vrox

Clarification:

It stats in the updated C: SW Models with heavy weapons may not use any other weapons (unless equiped with Terminator armor when they may select addition weapons from the armoury) and cannot ride bikes. Heavy weapons are considered two handed weapons.

In the WG section of the codex, it makes the following rules for all characters, so WGBL would still fall under that catagory. Characters may only have 1 two handed weapon and 1 weapon of a single weapon catagory choice.

Pretty clear on this now, ty all.

WG Vrox

There's a reason why the old models had "trigger hands" when using CML's. ;)

Guest WG Vrox

Yeah, well with the new C: SM rule that allows three weapons CML SB/PF and our updated rule with regards to the strom bolter it just didn't occure to me that the we are allowed 2.5 weapons and the only .5 choice available is the SB.

WG Vrox

I like Wolf Guard Terminators. Personally I run them with assault cannons, because I love laying down a hail of fire and moving up to the enemy.

Wolf Lord w/ Master Crafted Frostaxe, Storm Bolter, Terminator Armor, Belt of Russ

4 Body Guard w/ 2 Assault Cannons, TA

315 Points in all.

I run a big squad of them with a lot of combi weapons and heavy weapons, followed up with a wolf priest, WGBL with assault cannon, and runic charms for the whole unit.

Against armies without much AP2 like Necrons it's downright broken. Deliciously so. I've played 1850 games against 'crons twice now, and both times they won the game for me.

I lost a single terminator between those two games.

I run a big squad of them with a lot of combi weapons and heavy weapons, followed up with a wolf priest, WGBL with assault cannon, and runic charms for the whole unit.

Against armies without much AP2 like Necrons it's downright broken. Deliciously so. I've played 1850 games against 'crons twice now, and both times they won the game for me.

I lost a single terminator between those two games.

You mean your necron player never rolled 6's?... I can imagine a squad rapid firing into a WGBG unit would easily roll a few 6's and you can only make so many 5's... also the nightbringer is delicious and has a place in some necron armies especially where there are pesky units like WGBG. :)

Either way nice victories and glad to hear they work so well for you. :HQ:

well, crons only auto wound on 6's. The wounds still get regular saves after that. And the monolith is only AP 3 (unless you are under the hole in the template -AP1- ouch!!)

It must be the ale, I totally missed that one.

And yes the Particle whip is a nasty thing, something like S9 AP3 and in the hole it's AP1 mmm.

Guest WG Vrox

So before I rebuild my model need to ensure this is legal.

WGBL CML SB/LC This would follow the rule I believe of GW suggested build but a LC instead of a PF?

Archived