My Captain

StormDragon

I've finally started to build my Captain. I've had the Masters Of The Chapter sitting in their box since they were released, and now one of them is actually going to see some paint :)

I'm using the Master of the Arsenal since I love the model and he fits in with the rest of my chapter using lots of older marks of armour. The only problem being that his power fist would really screw with WYSIWYG since I won't be running my Captain with a PF. My original idea was to give him a dirty great big axe held across his body like so...

gallery_13078_2814_42765.jpg

This is only a really rough mock up, hence all the blu-tac and the cocktail stick. :huh:

While I was searching through my bits box I found a nice pointing right hand and thought I'd give that a try and came up with the following...

gallery_13078_2814_87765.jpg

Again this is only a rough mock up and the chainsword would be replaced by a power sword/relic blade.

So I'm after opinions on which pose looks better. I'm starting to lean towards the second one since I can imagine him pointing at an enemy and shouting "You're next!"

Cheers

While I love the dirty great big axe, and would personally go looking for another way to make it work, I think the pose there doesn't suit enough (axe too high considering how calm the rest of the pose is, etc). So with that said, I'd go with the second, with a power weapon obviously :wallbash:

+quick edit+

Actually, as a compromise of sorts, you could try turning his left hand in towards his body about 90 degrees, and just giving him a big stonker of an axe anyway, but have him holding it up quite high to the axe head with the haft stretching down past his cape, so the weight distribution doesn't look awkward...? Could look nice, just another idea.

Cheers guys you all confirmed what I was thinking. Although it wasn't what I originally had in mind the second pose does look better and suits the mini more.

+quick edit+

Actually, as a compromise of sorts, you could try turning his left hand in towards his body about 90 degrees, and just giving him a big stonker of an axe anyway, but have him holding it up quite high to the axe head with the haft stretching down past his cape, so the weight distribution doesn't look awkward...? Could look nice, just another idea.

Nice idea Draakur, I'll give it a go this evening and see what it looks like.

Ok so here is pose number 3...

gallery_13078_2814_2392.jpg

Again it's only a rough mock up, so ignore the blu-tac and the fact that the axe haft is a cocktail stick :D

I like this pose I think it gives a totally different vibe compared to pose 2. This one looks more sedate, like he's calmly pointing out an objective he wants taking. While I think pose 2 has a lot more implied violence in it.

Decisions, decisions... <_<

I used pose 2 for my captain, only with a bolter instead of a pointing arm. The relic blade I used was made from a chainsword handle with the crossguard on it and the sword blade from the assault marine sprue. I'd say go with pose 2. ;) I can do pictures if you want, I have WIP and finished. :)

Personally i'd go with number 3.

#1 looks more like a veteran to me because he isnt in a very commanding pose like the other 2.

#2 Looks more like a leader,but i think his weapon is just too plain.

#3Perfect!He's got the commander look and a nice power axe to boot.

Good luck with your choice! :)

Cool man :lol: I'm probably biased haha, but I like it, it's turned out fairly close to what I'd expected, and looks pretty boss to me. Only thought is that I can't quite tell from the shot just what angle the axe is pointing at compared to his body. It looks like it might be a little too straight on, giving him a slightly stiff look when you want something more calm and ready, so I'd think about turning the hand back out a wee bit (I may have been going overboard saying 90 degrees). But again, that might not be the case and it may just be the shot, I'd need to see him from the front to say.

Overall I dig it though, my vote is to go for it :)

Ok I've actually spent a bit of time working on finalising this guys pose. Nothing is glued in place yet, just pined and blu-tac'd, but this is how he's going to look. I'm probably going to shave the spikes off the haft of the axe, I like them but it just seems a bit daft he'd choose th hold his axe by the spikey bit ;)

gallery_13078_2814_135819.jpg

gallery_13078_2814_25548.jpg

He should be glued tomorrow and hopefully, weather allowing, be primed a day or so after that. So with a bit of luck I might even have some pics of him base coated this time next week ;) (yeah right who am I kidding...)

Yeh cool man, looks ace, just how I'd expected. I'm of the complete opposite opinion to Warforger haha, I think the grip on the axe gives him a really capable, experienced sort of feel, very natural and sure of himself on the battlefield. Makes him look like he's done all this countless times over, and has probably been carrying that axe around for centuries, which I think is a great feel for a captain to portray :)

In your blu-tacking it looks like you've accidentally got the axehead and haft out of allignment. Not a problem obviously, but just mentioning it because I'd suggest that when you do glue it all into place, you move the axehead to sit in line with the haft's current position, and not the other way around (if there was any question in the first place). Will just make it look that bit more relaxed and natural, I think :D Can't wait to see him in paint!

I like the look of double-headed axes, personally. That way you could have it count as either a Power Weapon or a Relic Blade. But that also depends on your bitz collection.

But yeah, the latest pose is definately the coolest (IMO).

Archived