Destroyed falling back marines

King_Pash

I was reading over the rules between matches earlier and came over a part of the rules that has puzzled me before. Here is the scenario.

Marines lose combat. The fail morale and are fleeing ("retreating"). They cannot regroup as there is an enemy within 6". Now, the enemy decides to charge this unit. The rulebook states that you have to pass a Regroup check otherwise the unit will be automatically destroyed.

My question: does this apply to Space Marines or does ATSKNF kick in at this point?

And then take No Retreat! wounds due to the automatic regroup & getting caught by a sweeping enemy

The unit in question was charged, not caught in sweeping advance. ^_^

RoV

That's correct. Im my example the unit in question (the falling back Marines) are charged by a different unit. ie. they are not caught in a sweeping advance so I don't think No Retreat is applicable.

So, do we think they:

1) Test to regroup. If fail, they are wiped out.

2) Automatically regroup and fight as normal.

3) Automatically regroup and trigger No Retreat and take saves from their previous combat.

Thoughts?

Well that would require to dedicate a unit to keep chasing them and since they can still fire while falling back that unit would be taking damage for no neccesary reason. In this situation it was three marines (flamer, power fist and bolter guys) running away and a Necron Lord was chasing him. The Lord eventually decided to kill them off (it was a KP game) and managed to get fisted in return (although survived, Grr...).

The question here, I think, is whether ATSKNF says they automatically regroup, or automatically pass the TEST to regroup. If it's the latter, I'd vote they're destroyed since they can't pass a test to regroup if they aren't offered a test, due to having an enemy within 6".

when charged while falling back u take a regroup check. if passed u fight. if failed u run again or die i think...unless that bit didnt survive the transition to 5th ed

Ok, that wasn't all that helpful. It looks like you may have confused things a little more... :D

ok, according to the rules, if you are assaulted while falling back, u can always test to regroup even if you are below half strength or there is an enemy withing 6 inches.

ATSKNF means they auto pass when making a regroup roll, so in that situation, I would say option 2: Automatically regroup and fight as normal.

ok, according to the rules, if you are assaulted while falling back, u can always test to regroup even if you are below half strength or there is an enemy withing 6 inches.

ATSKNF means they auto pass when making a regroup roll, so in that situation, I would say option 2: Automatically regroup and fight as normal.

Are you sure? Im not sure you can test to regroup if there is an enemy within 6" in any army, even Space Marines. Double-check that pla nd get back to us.

Yup, they clearly regroup and stand and fight as normal.

Anyone else find it strange that the enemy hovering nearby is enough to prevent these borderline fearless, genetically engineered supersoldiers from regrouping, but that same enemy running at them, brandishing weapons and screaming their heads off, this makes them rethink the whole running away thing?

Anyone else find it strange that the enemy hovering nearby is enough to prevent these borderline fearless, genetically engineered supersoldiers from regrouping

Not really. When they're faced with overwhelming odds, they're trying to do the smart thing and retreat. And from a gameplay perspective, it would be stupid to have them be unsweepable AND ignore regular morale rules, too.

but that same enemy running at them, brandishing weapons and screaming their heads off, this makes them rethink the whole running away thing?

Historically, space marines always fight when forced to make a last stand.

Are you sure? Im not sure you can test to regroup if there is an enemy within 6" in any army, even Space Marines. Double-check that pla nd get back to us.

Um, you are overthinking it. Yes there are enemies within 6", but the assault overrides that. Otherwise why would GW bother to say make a check if you get assaulted if you can't regroup due to badguys in 6"? If you are asasulted there MUST be badguys in 6". If the badguys are more than 6" then they are not assaulting you.

Archived