Rune Priest Storm Caller

Guest WG Vrox

Guest WG Vrox

Ok so no longer can I argue the storm caller working to provide units first strike ability, only cover saves. However I would not be happy at all if when the new codex/update comes out that this is al our beloved rune priest receives for powers.

What Psychic powers would you like to see our Rune Priest provide the Space Wolves?

I like the fluff behind the storm caller and would expand on it in the following ways.

*Provide the unit being targeted a 5+ cover save against ALL weapons including those that would negate cover saves such as flamers.

*Any unit shooting at the unit in cover would be forced to use night fighting rules for purposes of seeing the unit. This ability does not extend to any vehicles targeted by the storm.

*If the unit is the target of or affected by a psychic power, on a 5+ that ability is nullified. The unit must roll separately for every use of a psychic power against them. This ability does not extend to any vehicales targerted by the storm.

*If the target of the storm is a vehicle, that vehicle will receive a cover save as if more than 50% of it mass is not visible

*These abilities only extend to the Wolf Priest if he has joined or is part of the unit being targeted.

Is this too much or just right or too little? What are your thoughts/suggestion wolf brothers?

WG Vrox

Fluff wise go back to its description in second, make it so you get a large template and anything under that gets sucked into the warp on a 4+ or something similar

I'd like to see the rune priest getting the gate for sure... as for anything else, I would love something like "rune time" where you cast a special blizzard over an enemy unit during your opponent's shooting phase and that unit fires as if in night fight or something...

As for extending on stormcaller, I would think something like cover extending 2" around the extremities of the squad it was cast on so your opponent still has to take a terrain test. ;)

Psychic powers for the Rune Priest:

Gate.

Stormcaller- Radius 12" centered on the rune priest.... all friendly units get cover and are targetted as per night fighting. Enemy units in the radius are targetted as per night fighting but dont get cover.

Hammer of Thunder- Str 10 AP1 Assault 1, 18"

Sorcerors doom- Enemy suffers perils on any roll of a double, rune priest may not cast any other powers this turn *but may use a force weapon*

Gate.

Stormcaller- Radius 12" centered on the rune priest.... all friendly units get cover and are targetted as per night fighting. Enemy units in the radius are targetted as per night fighting but dont get cover.

Sorcerors doom- Enemy suffers perils on any roll of a double, rune priest may not cast any other powers this turn *but may use a force weapon*

Actually I like all of them except the doom one, just doesn't seem to fit.

The Hammer of Thunder is just tasty.

Gate.

Sounds cool, but is there a source for this, or just a wish list?

Gate.

Sounds cool, but is there a source for this, or just a wish list?

If you read the whole topic you'll see that these are additions we "wish" to see in the upcoming codex. :blink:

IMO the cover saves vs flamers is quite reasonable because the "cover" is a psychic effect rather than a physical obstruction that the flames can lap round.

Not to mention that psychic power happens to be a freezing blizzard or something that would "put-out" the flame. :wub:

@ GM

I guess I see your reasoning behind it, but I'm still not sold on it though, maybe change it somehow?

Guest WG Vrox

First off it does not negate the weapon or anything just would provide a 5+ cover save say against the new Flamestorm Cannon. Not much out there that negates cover save and has an AP of 3, so I don't see it being a huge benefit.

This brings up a question, lets say you have a unit that is under the current Storm Caller effect, if that unit "went to ground" woud it receive a +1 to the 5+ cover save making it a 4+?? If so that maybe a useful tactic to use in a game.

WG Vrox

This brings up a question, lets say you have a unit that is under the current Storm Caller effect, if that unit "went to ground" woud it receive a +1 to the 5+ cover save making it a 4+?? If so that maybe a useful tactic to use in a game.

WG Vrox

It's not useful at all in my eyes sadly... :wub: let my explain my view on it...

If you're casting stormcaller on a unit, it's likely because they're advancing, moving where there is no terrain, otherwise they'd be in terrain loving the 4+'s everywhere. Also going to ground makes to useless for a turn, and not able to cast stormcaller the following turn to save you, so now you have a 4+, but next turn you get nothing... I'd rather have two turns of a 5+. ;)

Hope I made sense in there somewhere. ;)

Guest WG Vrox

well I can think of a few quick times it might come in handy. First off the RP does not have to belong to the unit it is casting SC on so at times maybe he would be available to cast it next turn. Second sometimes you don't get a choice and have to go to ground so you might as well enjoy the +1to the save. Third as a commander you get to choose to go to ground after you see the hits and wounds, so if its real nasty hit and you have support coming or something that could remove whatever is threating the unit, it is worth it to gain the 4+ cover save.......

Always looking for new tactica on the ol' battlefield, never want to limit ones options with linear thinking.

WG Vrox

Not a bad idea, though I dont use runepriests really... hrmm.

The only other way I can think to do that is to reduce the leadership of all psychers on the board by three for the purposes of psychic tests until the start of the wolf players next turn.

Archived