A new player with some questions on WH

Castedite

Hello! I have been long aware of Warhammer 40k and its background, having watched my friends play for quite some time as well as being an dedicated reader of the Black Library, however I'm afraid this is the first time I find myself as an actual participant in the tabletop side of the universe.

I wanted to step away from Space Marines and its equivalents due to a large concentration of them around my area, and I'm definitely more focused on the painting and modeling opportunities, which led me to look for an army that will give me unique opportunities in visuals, having finally settled on the Witchhunters as my preferred choice...Which is just my luck, because everyone keeps telling me that I probably picked the worst army a beginner can play.

Now I don't mind losing, I can lose all day for all I care if I and my opponent are having a good time; what I do mind, is purchasing things that I will eventually learn too late to be less-than-useful while I'm on a limited budget. the sheer overwhelming amount of information (and some misinformation) out there isn't helping much either, the 5th ed apparently being quite new, and I would highly appreciate it if anyone could guide me on my quest.

1. From what I can tell, Witchhunters (inc. SoB) excel in medium-range shooting, meaning bolters and flamers mainly. What would be a good fitting out of a standard Battle Sister Squad? Should they be on a transport?
  2. I am planning on using 2~3 squads of inducted IG (more painting opps!) as well as a Leman Russ Battle Tank for help in the long range department. Would this be a worthwhile investment? (I believe I got this idea from reading in a past thread, but I just want to make sure I suppose)
  3. How does Witchhunters deal with dedicated assault units? Or assault armies for that matter? I understand that you're supposed to shoot before you get assaulted, but what happens once you're bogged down in CC?
  4. What are some different ways I can gear an Inquisitor Retinue? How do they fare in shooting/Assaulting/lounging around?
  5. Are stormtroopers really that useless in a WH army?
  6. Anything else I should know?

I'm sorry if the questions have already been asked before, and I would highly appreciate any help.

Hello! I have been long aware of Warhammer 40k and its background, having watched my friends play for quite some time as well as being an dedicated reader of the Black Library, however I'm afraid this is the first time I find myself as an actual participant in the tabletop side of the universe.

I wanted to step away from Space Marines and its equivalents due to a large concentration of them around my area, and I'm definitely more focused on the painting and modeling opportunities, which led me to look for an army that will give me unique opportunities in visuals, having finally settled on the Witchhunters as my preferred choice...Which is just my luck, because everyone keeps telling me that I probably picked the worst army a beginner can play.

Now I don't mind losing, I can lose all day for all I care if I and my opponent are having a good time; what I do mind, is purchasing things that I will eventually learn too late to be less-than-useful while I'm on a limited budget. the sheer overwhelming amount of information (and some misinformation) out there isn't helping much either, the 5th ed apparently being quite new, and I would highly appreciate it if anyone could guide me on my quest.

1. From what I can tell, Witchhunters (inc. SoB) excel in medium-range shooting, meaning bolters and flamers mainly. What would be a good fitting out of a standard Battle Sister Squad? Should they be on a transport?
  2. I am planning on using 2~3 squads of inducted IG (more painting opps!) as well as a Leman Russ Battle Tank for help in the long range department. Would this be a worthwhile investment? (I believe I got this idea from reading in a past thread, but I just want to make sure I suppose)
  3. How does Witchhunters deal with dedicated assault units? Or assault armies for that matter? I understand that you're supposed to shoot before you get assaulted, but what happens once you're bogged down in CC?
  4. What are some different ways I can gear an Inquisitor Retinue? How do they fare in shooting/Assaulting/lounging around?

I'm sorry if the questions have already been asked before, and I would highly appreciate any help.

1. Mounting the squad in a rhino will keep the sisters alive longer to close into that range where they excel. Remember that the sisters have to buy the rhinos from their entry, so they cost more and don't have the repair option that the SM rhinos do. Best layout for them is 9 sisters, heavy flamer, meltagun, and vss with Book of St Lucius (must have for sister squads)

2. If you're going to use just squads, make them armored fist squads and get the chimeras. Remember that the minimum troops choice for inducted guard that aren't armored fist is a platoon, which is a minimum of 25 models (2 squads plus a command squad of 5)

3. Dedicated assault units are going to cause you trouble once youre bogged down. Do everything you can to keep them at your optimal distance. Keep your own dedicated assault units nearby to counter the assault (seraphim, arcoflaggellants, and repentia).

4. Check out the WH articles at GW for diferent WH inquisitor loadouts. You really want to gear them for a specific purpose and keep them focused on that purpose.

5. IST's aren't necessarily useless, but when you can get a sister with power armor and a bolter for 1 point more than the IST, it's not worth it. Now if you want to use a unit of arbites with shotguns, then the IST's are a viable option. This is a great way to get assault 2 weapons in a force.

6. Remember that while the WH are a difficult army to play and you will more than likely lose more often than you win, it makes those wins even sweeter. The sisters have some advantages (like Faith Points and the related Acts of Faith) that can put serious crimps in your opponent's game plan. In the fluff, it's standard for the sisters to face insurmountable odds and fight to the last sister. I'm of the opinion that playing the WH army true to fluff is the best way to go. Don't make winning everything, because the odds are against you winning. Make staying true to the fluff your priority.

Good luck and have fun.

Hello, welcome to the ranks of the Inquisition.

I'm a hardened vet of Sisters of battle. Been playing them since they got their own codex. There is a ton of info scattered all around this forum and Warseer (Warseer: Witch Hunter Tactica). Both are great spots for info on even the most obscure things. I'll try and answer each question as best as possible, without typing a book.

Alright, now seeing that your on a limited budget, I will say that Sisters of battle, and most of the Inquisition model range are pewter. Which automatically puts them at a higher price point. They are awesome looking models on there own. Though being solid pewter makes them harder to do conversions. Just something to consider. Either way, they're fun to play, and fun to paint and convert. The more you put into it the better the result will make you feel.

Q&A time:

From what I can tell, Witchhunters (inc. SoB) excel in medium-range shooting, meaning bolters and flamers mainly. What would be a good fitting out of a standard Battle Sister Squad? Should they be on a transport?

Sisters are indeed the masters of close range 'fire' fights. Faith empowered shooting can decimate almost anything. With all the access to flame templates just adds to the volume of damage we can do in 1 round of shooting. The best "all comers" setup would be a Veteran Sister Superior armed with a combi flamer (if you have extra points), 9 Sisters armed with a Heavy flamer, a Meltagun, and bolters. All wrapped up in a Rhino transport. This is also called the standard mechanized Sister troop. If your not going mechanized, than you'll want to boost the number of Sisters in the squad, up to 14ish. With footsloggers the flamer weapons won't be worth much, so another meltagun or storm bolter is a better choice.

I am planning on using 2~3 squads of inducted IG (more painting opps!) as well as a Leman Russ Battle Tank for help in the long range department. Would this be a worthwhile investment? (I believe I got this idea from reading in a past thread, but I just want to make sure I suppose)

Guard, and the Russ are certainly an option. They're fun to use, add a lot of models to your army (so more targets for your enemy). With the new Imperial Guard codex almost around the corner, Sisters and Guard maybe a very powerful combo. Guard will provide you with a lot of ranged firepower, but not much that can directly support a Sisters spearhead attack. The last thing you want is the Russ' battle cannon to scatter back onto your Sisters.

How does Witchhunters deal with dedicated assault units? Or assault armies for that matter? I understand that you're supposed to shoot before you get assaulted, but what happens once you're bogged down in CC?

There usually isn't much bogged down effect. If a dedicated assault squad gets into hand to hand, than the fight is usually over in one round. Having a counter assault unit close at hand to save Sisters if they do get assaulted is the only real way to free them again. Canoness with a retinue, Seraphim, Arcofllagents, and the like are good example of units that can save your squads.

What are some different ways I can gear an Inquisitor Retinue? How do they fare in shooting/Assaulting/lounging around?

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Most of the time the retinue will be geared up as a heavy weapons platform. 3 Serviters with heavy bolters, plasma cannons etc. with a hospitler, acolyte and sage. Easy to keep alive, and good amount of shooting. There isn't a lot they can really do as an assult unit. Their stat line pervents them from being that effective at hand to hand. You could also go with a Demon hunter's allied Inquisitor and take a Mystic, this way you can take pot shots at deep striking units that land within 4d6 inches of your Mystic.

Are stormtroopers really that useless in a WH army?

For 1 more point, you get a woman in power armor, armed with a bolter, that has better aim, and can use faith abilities. Win, Win, and more Win.

Anything else I should know?

Sisters are not the easiest starter army for sure. They are rewarding in both modelling and when you do win. Their fluff is amazing, even though there is not a lot of it. They're normal women with the weight of the Imperial faith on their shoulders. They are seen as zealous to the point of insanity. Not all are that crazed. Actually most are very civil, and don't act impetious, but its not smart to cross them. Hell have no fury like - you get the idea.

Hope this helps you out. I would certainly recommend taking a browse through the Witch hunter tactica thread. A ton of info there. My forum name on Warseer is Copella (though you would of figured that out. heh) Also there are tons of amazing painting logs and pictures of Sisters on both of these forums. Hopefully those will help inspire or give ideas. Good Luck.

Faith, Unfailing.

This army is gonna probably cost you more than any other. Nearly all of SoB minis are metal.

Metal miniatures tend to lose paint on the edges ( like noses or other exposed parts ) much quicker than the plastic ones.

Be prepared that you won't get a new codex anytime soon or even at all.

Your friends are right, it's not an easy army to play. I started with SoB too and switched to Necrons some time ago (but still got my sisters)...losing ALL the time was very disappointing. I don't want to scare you but be aware.

Congrats on picking armies like I do, based on fluff and visuals! And, welcome to the Inquisition ;) It's the Better choice, in my opinion, because I have found that if you pick an army based on the models appearence, the fluff and storyline, it is EASIER for you to get into the tactical mindset required for that army to win. New or not, if you think like the army you are playing, you will win more often than if you can't get into the right frame of mind.

Now my advice will likely be different from many of the generals here, because I do NOT play a pure Sisters list... my army is based around an Inquisitor Lady (lord), and her forces. I use Sisters, but I also use Inquisitorial Storm Troopers, Imperial Guard, Space Marines, Grey Knights, whatever I feel like playing that day. So if that sounds like what you wanna do, I welcome you to the fold. Well, I welcome you anyway even if you end up a Sisters fanatic, but just so you know where I'm coming from as I answer your questions...

[*]From what I can tell, Witchhunters (inc. SoB) excel in medium-range shooting, meaning bolters and flamers mainly. What would be a good fitting out of a standard Battle Sister Squad? Should they be on a transport?

Like everyone else, I recommend 10 sisters, one with meltagun, one with heavy flamer, a Veteran Sister Superior (the extra leadership is nice, but it's all about the faith point and being a faithful unit) with the Book of Saint Lucius. My VSS uses a power weapon and bolt pistol, but aside from the book it's really personal preference. Transport of a rhino (a repressor is more awesome if you can pay for the import from the UK and the extra forgeworld cost, and your group uses the IA rules...) is great for a down the road goal, when just starting you can avoid them. You will be at a disadvantage though against more shooty long ranged armies.

[*]I am planning on using 2~3 squads of inducted IG (more painting opps!) as well as a Leman Russ Battle Tank for help in the long range department. Would this be a worthwhile investment? (I believe I got this idea from reading in a past thread, but I just want to make sure I suppose)

Yes. All it requires is a different mindset with your troops. The Guardsmen will be MUCH more squishy, and not as capable as your Inquisition troops... however they are dirt cheap. With what you are describing as assistance for the Sisters from range, I would NOT get two Armored Fist squads. I would get two platoons.. keep them dirt cheap with a single lascannon (probably your best choice) in each squad and command squad. This gets you 6 units, a total of 50 troopers, 6 lascannons, all for a little over 300 points + cost of heavy weapons (lascannon is more spendy by 10 points than the next long range option, either a missile launcher or autocannon). If you go with all lascannons you're looking at 470 points total. Now, this may seem like a lot, but remember: It's the only way for the Ordo Hereticus forces to get lascannons without a Land Raider Transport, and you are getting 50 models, in 6 scoring units (they're all Troops baby...) that when placed in cover will NOT go away quickly. That's one heck of a long range firebase for your other forces.

[*]How does Witchhunters deal with dedicated assault units? Or assault armies for that matter? I understand that you're supposed to shoot before you get assaulted, but what happens once you're bogged down in CC?

Ideally yes, shoot them down first. Failing that, take the charge with one of your more durable units (or any Sisters unit using the Invulnerable Save Act of Faith.. you'd be surprised how long they can last that way), then counter-charge with one of your close combat units (Inquisitorial Retinue, Arco-flagellants, Death Cult Assassins, Eversor Assassin, Penitant Engine, Sisters Repentia) and hope to win dice rolls :) Our close combat units really aren't that bad, just remember they're not Eldar Harlequins or close combat Aspect Warriors (though the assassins are fairly close). So adjust your expectations and you'll be fine.

[*]What are some different ways I can gear an Inquisitor Retinue? How do they fare in shooting/Assaulting/lounging around?

I rock the boat and run a close combat Inquisitorial retinue. I kick butt with it. Most people seem to think that all an Inquisitor can do is shooting.. this isn't true, especially for the Ordo Hereticus. Note, some of this wargear is for fluff reasons, or because I like the model. It would be more efficient done differently.

Inquisitor Lord with Bolter stake-crossbow, force weapon, auspex, digital weapons, frag grenades, hexagrammic wards, melta bombs, psycannon bolts, psychic hood, psyocculum, rosarius, His Will Be Done, Scourging

2 Acolytes with shotgun, bolt pistol, carapace armor, frag grenades, krak grenades

Sage

2 Crusaders

1 Combat Servitor (cyber mastiff :P )

Familiar

2 Chiurgeons

They assault out of a Land Raider (can carry 10 models). With the new IA2 update, I am going to get 2 Penitents to add to the retinue to bring it's number up to 12 to match the carrying capacity of an IA2 Inquisitor Land Raider. If you can't use the IA2 stuff, remember the Land Raider only holds 10 models.

I love my retinue ;) They are constantly underestimated and have always impressed me.

[*]Are stormtroopers really that useless in a WH army?

Not at all! I love my storm troopers. They just function different than Sisters do. First off, they can have grenade launchers (which I love) or plasma guns (which I don't like.. I'm not really fond of plasma generally speaking). They also, like Sisters, get 2 assault weapons in 10 models. Most people will underestimate them... they're still BS4 and a 4+ save. I use them for fluff reasons, and like true underdogs they keep pulling through so I keep fielding them. I like em a lot. They, unlike Sisters, come in a 5-10 man squad, instead of 10-20 (good for a budget). They have Chimera transports as an option, but are worse than the IG Chimera transports due to available upgrades. Same thing I advise everyone... if you don't expect them to be miracle workers, they wont let you down.

[*]Anything else I should know?

You can ally Daemon Hunters to your army ;) I use a 5 man Grey Knight Terminator squad with a brother-captain with thunderhammer and psycannon, a termie with psycannon, and 3 regular termies. They can deep strike, they are good in combat against anything without power weapons or that isn't higher than init 4, and they are a long range firebase. That and they look awesome. Many people playing Inquisition lists use the fact they can ally some units from the other Inquisition book to their advantage. Pure Sisters players don't get as much from this... they will argue they lose total available faith points, which make the points spent inefficient. They have a point. You DO give up your faith point pool by doing this. However I run a mixed Inquisition list, still have 3 total faith points, and don't notice a serious problem... the extra versatility and unit choices available help make up for the reduction in faith points (things like Land Raiders, Terminators, etc that pure Sisters lists can't have).

Oh, and Exorcists are awesome. I don't own one yet because I'm picky and I want to save up for the Forge World kit instead of the pipe organ model. Maybe after Christmas one of these years...

The only dumb question is the one not asked. In addition to asking for generic help and advice, you had very specific questions that warrent a post of their own. It's all good.

Remember.. don't focus on winning, focus on having fun, making an individual and unique army that fits YOU, and just play. Witch Hunters is still pretty competative if you swing it right and learn how your army works. You will excel at close range firefights, with lots of terrain. Leave the long range open field to the Guard and Space Marines, you are an anti-heretical force, designed for cities, enclosed terrain, storming the hidden fortress of a cult, that type of thing. Adding the Guard allies will help a LOT with the long range firepower problem.

Above all, just have fun, and welcome to the Inquisition!

Also note that Inducted Imperial Guard have GREAT synergy with the Sisters' Canonesses.

Give them a simple bolter and Book of St. Lucius, and attatch them to one of the IG squads, and they'll give the guardsmen nearby an unmodifiable leadership of 10. They will stand their ground and fight like true guardsmen.

Just be sure to keep at least one member of every squad within 6". May want to take a second Canoness if you want to split up your IG squads.

Under " other things to know " I'd say 'buy atleast one Exorcist.

You've said you'll be facing alot of Marines - Excorcists provide dead Astartes at a reasonable cost and also give your force some useful anti armour punch.

I bought a forge world one because I thought it'd look cool but fell utterly inlove with it because it kicks out a serise of jamz.

Ehhh I find the forge-world version of the exorcist mighty un-pretty... They basically turned the exorcist into a whirlwind with smaller missiles. True insult to what is supposed to be a mosaic of old tech played like a giant organ, which upon reaching a crescendo a volley of missiles take flight. Instead now its a point n click whirlwind without any soul. I almost would buy the normal exorcist for the cool metal plates they give you on the sides to use as standard rhino's. Then again I'm a painter...

Except the Forgeworld one was around first... ;) They actually turned the Forgeworld one into some sort of pipe organ monstrosity.

Either way though, I would buy the regular exorcist, then apply the Forgeworld kit to it for "extra armor" with the cool Sister sculpting.

Except the Forgeworld one was around first... :D They actually turned the Forgeworld one into some sort of pipe organ monstrosity.

Either way though, I would buy the regular exorcist, then apply the Forgeworld kit to it for "extra armor" with the cool Sister sculpting.

I tend to agree with the "pipe organ monstrosity" opinion of the GW exorcist. I've had the FW exorcist for a long while, and I find it sleeker than the GW one.

Welcome! I've played Sisters a fair amount, with some success, so I'll give you my advice on these things:

1. "From what I can tell, Witchhunters (inc. SoB) excel in medium-range shooting, meaning bolters and flamers mainly. What would be a good fitting out of a standard Battle Sister Squad? Should they be on a transport?" - Yeah, the key to the Sisters of Battle is to do the delicate dance of "In Bolter Range, Out of Assault Range". It's tough, but they're *lethal* at that range. Massed bolter fire is a thing to behold. As to whether or not you should mount them, it depends. My local club plays on really small boards (the large ones are usually taken up by large-scale battles or WHFB games), so its not necessary. But Rhinos provide good cover, the mobility to move forward and fall back rapidly, and prevent you from being picked apart at range. My best advice is to take lots or none - a single or pair of Rhinos just gives enemy lascannons something to kill the first turn.

2. "I am planning on using 2~3 squads of inducted IG (more painting opps!) as well as a Leman Russ Battle Tank for help in the long range department. Would this be a worthwhile investment? (I believe I got this idea from reading in a past thread, but I just want to make sure I suppose)" I haven't ever used a Leman Russ, but I've got two Armored Fist squads of guardsmen in my Witch Hunters list, and they prove invaluable with just giving *some* weight to long range fire, or babysitting objectives.

3. "How does Witchhunters deal with dedicated assault units? Or assault armies for that matter? I understand that you're supposed to shoot before you get assaulted, but what happens once you're bogged down in CC?" I played for a very long time versus a number of assault-y armies. Sometimes, you're just in trouble (Tyranid Big Bugs, I'm looking at you). I have however been able to go toe-to-toe with Khorne-themed CSM armies, Blood Angels and Orks. The my advice is three-fold:

a. Whittle them down. Keep your bolter fire concentrated, and try to weaken units to the point that you won't get obliterated in close combat. No, you won't obliterate everyone, but it can keep the sting out of it.

b. Bog them down. Big units of sisters, sisters with a 3+ invulnerable save, Fearless sisters...there are alot of ways to turn Sisters of Battle units into mudpits. As with a., the goal is not to stop your opponent from getting into assault range, but to stop them from assaulting you productively. Spending two turns wiping out your girls is two turns they aren't holding objectives, and two turns of the rest of your bolter line getting into position.

c. Counter-attack. Don't be afraid to charge if you're opponent gets substantial bonuses on his charge. A single enemy model usually isn't worth setting up your sisters to be obliterated come their turn. Also, if you *can* get an enemy bogged down against a basic Sisters unit, they can be positioned to be counter-charged (or charged directly - flamers ftw!) by some of your "assault" units, such as Seraphim or Celestines. This can often turn the tide. Seraphim are awesome by the way, get some. They win more games for me than any other unit.

4. "What are some different ways I can gear an Inquisitor Retinue? How do they fare in shooting/Assaulting/lounging around?" Dunno, I don't use Inquisitors :lol:

5. "Are stormtroopers really that useless in a WH army?" Yes

6. "Anything else I should know?" Go buy some Seraphim. Have I mentioned Seraphim yet? Seriously, I <3 Seraphim.

With regard to the Exorcist Digression: Although the GW one is sort of nice and archaic looking it just doesn't look like a weapon. And I just find it abit over blow.

A dickload of gothic bedecking and purity seals can rescue the tankier and Spartan FW version.

With regard to avoiding the inevitable assaults you'll face from turn 3: concentrate fire on transport vehicles and then on which ever unit is closest to your lines. Pour all shooting on it.

I run alot of inducted Guard and tend to send the odd skirmishing unit out to act as a speed bump. It's cruel but the Galaxy is a tough place for S3 T3 man.

Personally, I'd also go with the forgeworld version as well. It looks like the medium range missile launcher it is, while the pipe organ thing would look more like a long range launcher (meaning, launch upwards, then arc over and down at the enemy).

Just helps with the mental image of the battle.

Archived