Scythes of the Emperor Test Marine

Alpha PTP

hey alpha. i didn't mean to cause such a seen. but i think you agreed with me and i like to stick up for my fellow painters. i know we all work hard and it take guts to post them. i think once you get that black highlighted he will look sweeeet. have you tryed to use black to line the yellow. you might want to try that on another fig. it would keep with your black armour. but you would have to try it because i did mine the same way you did your yellow. i just think it might make your yellow and black armour stand out more but in the same aspect bring the two together. oh, what color are your guns going to be?

Thanks, but the mods took care of him. I think I am going to try and go with a dark grey for the armor, and highlight it up to a lighter grey, just like you suggested. I'd love to know the colors you used so I can try it out myself. The gun is a very dark silver, at the moment. It needs a highlight of Vallejo's Silver.

Looking good! I'm not really a fan of the light-effect, as I think it detracts from the figure rather than adding it, but I'm a BIG fan of the scheme (I've always been a fan of that site, too.) Nice to see you going somewhere with an army. Are you going to add Tyranid trophies and the like?

I got rid of the lighting last night. I hated how it turned out just as much as you did, man. Well, I am considering using some of the Tyranid Hunter's because the SotE have one of the largest percentage of Tyranid Hunter's in all of the space marines. I still owe you that bloody Castigator. ;)

@Cornelias: I hate the original Scythe's scheme. :D It reminds me of a toddler's clothes.

@Cornelias: Thanks, man. I already have some cool ideas going. Until I get a tactical squad done, I don't want to move onto the Chapter Master and Terminator Chaplain.

@daemonclaw: Yes, yes. Thanks. I'm glad there are people on here who like my work. :lol: I know I can't let people get me down, but I don't like people dancing around my thread, shouting their sarcastic remarks. :D

@Pulse: I forgot about that picture, actually. :lol: I have done green glowing eyes on my terminators and my friend's unit of Bloodcrushers. The blue on the yellow is what ended me. It is a lot easier to do it on black or white, but doing it on a color successfully is very difficult, it seems. I am going for above table-top, which is why I posted this picture to see if I can work out some of the kinks.

@THE FATED FITH: Welcome to the site, mate! Always nice to see a neophyte on the board. Thanks. I'm sure Doghouse would appreciate it too. Sadly, he retired his bolter to the arsenal... He shall be missed. ;_;

++Edit.++

Woah, 1400th post.

Sheesh. Can't we all just get along? :)

There is an equal amount of opportunities in life to hate and love. Sway to the better choice :P

I agree, let's just drop it.

Anywho, I finished the yellow and black on a new marine. The black is more of a dark grey. It looks pretty good, actually.

green armour: well i always use a white under coat. then i put a coat of black ink on the the parts that i want green. then i paint a light coat of dark angles green over it. u could even dry brush the green if you wanted to. now use snot green and give it a good base coat. i then highlight with goblin and then scorpion. the dark angles green does make a difference, believe me. then i black line it with black ink. after all that i will go back and use darkangles ink for shading affects. alot easyer done then it sounds.

have fun

good luck

1) The glowing blue eyes on the top, yellow part of the helmet seem unrealistic. How is the light supposed to bend around like that? The light source doesn't exactly shine any light onto that part of the helmet. If you do choose to have the light up there, it would be better if it was a green, or at least a much lighter blue.

2) The black shading has been done very well and would be complimented by some very fine extreme highlighting.

3) Purity seals on the bottom of the leg could use a quick touching up. The upper parts of the purity seals seem to be lacking sufficient highlights.

4) The washes on the boltgun look pretty good but some mithril silver highlights without a wash on top would be nice.

1) The glowing blue eyes on the top, yellow part of the helmet seem unrealistic. How is the light supposed to bend around like that? The light source doesn't exactly shine any light onto that part of the helmet. If you do choose to have the light up there, it would be better if it was a green, or at least a much lighter blue.

2) The black shading has been done very well and would be complimented by some very fine extreme highlighting.

3) Purity seals on the bottom of the leg could use a quick touching up. The upper parts of the purity seals seem to be lacking sufficient highlights.

4) The washes on the boltgun look pretty good but some mithril silver highlights without a wash on top would be nice.

1. I already got rid of the glowing and just made it normal blue eyes.

2. I am trying a new black on the most recent model. It looks really good. I will have to start a WIP thread to start showing pictures there.

3. The actual seal of the purity seal needs another highlight or two.

4. The new marine is getting a brighter metal on the gun.

'ello...

Looking very cool... The graduated layers on the yellow look really good... I do think that it's a little too orange (could be the pic though) but I like regardless... I think I remember what you were working on before... If I remember they were the unholy combination of orange, black and green... and I really liked them.

Your black does look a little under-highlighted and thus could do with some definition... I thoroughly agree with the advice given about a dark grey rather than pure black and I would point you to the very good Huron Blackheart tutorial from White Dwarf from a few months back... very good tutorial...

Bring on the squads...

Laterz...

Looking good! I'm not really a fan of the light-effect, as I think it detracts from the figure rather than adding it, but I'm a BIG fan of the scheme (I've always been a fan of that site, too.) Nice to see you going somewhere with an army. Are you going to add Tyranid trophies and the like?

I got rid of the lighting last night. I hated how it turned out just as much as you did, man. Well, I am considering using some of the Tyranid Hunter's because the SotE have one of the largest percentage of Tyranid Hunter's in all of the space marines. I still owe you that bloody Castigator. ^_^

Looking forward to updated pictures, then. The Scythes have always been a Chapter that's resonated for me - Their struggle in the face of adversity really encompasses most of what's so great about the Astartes. Plus, they and the Marines Malevolent have really attractive black-and-yellow schemes. If anyone criticises the variant scheme as being "not canon", then you can say it's a variant scheme (per the fluff, the Badab War Chapters such as the Mantis Warriors, Salamanders, etc. used a number of variant schemes - and you could make that claim and still be adhering to the fluff. If the fluff matters. :))

I didn't mean the Tyranid hunter models themselves, but the idea that they would have Tyranid trophies, attempting to avenge Sotha by focusing their efforts on the Tyranids. More recent fluff suggests the Scythes have made heavy contributions to the Deathwatch, also, which might be an interesting avenue for you, too.

I'm looking forward to the Castigator, too!

just to be clear i wasn't criticizing alpha's work just mentioning i preferred the original scheme :huh:

in fact my scouts are painted that way as i ties in with the original artwork in advanced space crusade and i also use the single scythe symbol on my scouts, not that it's cannon but i like to imagine they get the double scythe on becoming a full marine ;)

nice to see a few more scythe players about, looks like a cult following emerging :ermm:

edit: again really nice work alpha and more pics please ^_^

Nah It was me being a jerk.

I take it back, They are very nice models. I honestly liked the black the way it was. Strong black off a strong yellow was very striking. So that what I thought they looked like. So I liked his highlighter yellow off his strong black. So I gotta see the grey/black with your yellow. Also I forgot to mention. Nice free hand on the shoulder pad.

Please Forgive me. I hate to be the bad guy.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/Kuchinawa212/Puss-in-Boots---Shrek-2--C101237441.jpg

Nah It was me being a jerk.

I take it back, They are very nice models. I honestly liked the black the way it was. Strong black off a strong yellow was very striking. So that what I thought they looked like. So I liked his highlighter yellow off his strong black. So I gotta see the grey/black with your yellow. Also I forgot to mention. Nice free hand on the shoulder pad.

Please Forgive me. I hate to be the bad guy.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj100/Kuchinawa212/Puss-in-Boots---Shrek-2--C101237441.jpg

...I love you. Thanks for the compliments. :)

@Commissar Molotov: As I have previously said, the original scheme was lacking, in my tastes. The yellow torso and backpack and black limbs just doesn't look good at all. It is unbalanced and... ugly. I am thinking of making my Sternguard into Deathwatch. The Scythes have limited resources due to their campaign against Hive Fleet Kraken, so I think it is fitting that they asked for some aid. Plus, Sternguard and Deathwatch are almost the same. :tu:

@Cornelias: The fluff and name have always drawn me into the chapter. Seeing the one Scythes of the Emperor chapter on the site me and Commissar Molotov made me decide on this chapter as my new army for the Codex. I started a thread in the WIP Section so I can track my progress.

Thanks all.

lol, awwe: can we take him home alpha?

I'd love to, but I already have two cats, and I don't think you live with me... or do you? :)

@Dam13n: Ah, you are talking about my All Hallows Guard, or the halloween marines. They are my DIY chapter. I have 2000 pts or so of them, but they are based on 4th edition, so they are going to be retired, or shelved till I update them. I already fixed what you suggested, mate. Check out my DIY thread.

Whoa, that made my day. I thought you were going to say NO THOU SHALL BE UNFORGIVEN FOR THY HERECY, but good to know that Alpha is a forgiving soul.

:)

:D

Now I really do want to see the new paint job. Oh and maybe a Captain. That'll look nice.

Whoa, that made my day. I thought you were going to say NO THOU SHALL BE UNFORGIVEN FOR THY HERECY, but good to know that Alpha is a forgiving soul.

Now I really do want to see the new paint job. Oh and maybe a Captain. That'll look nice.

I have been doing concept sketches for my captain all day. He is going to be the Chapter Master who took Thorcyra's place. Thorcyra died with his first company while defending at Giant's Coffin to allow the rest of the chapter to leave. He passed on his scythe, his proof of office, to Thrasius. I am going to do a Thrasius model.

He thinks that he did not earn his office, so he fights on the field to prove that he did. I am thinking about doing a walking marine, helmet in one hand, and his scythe resting on his shoulder, looking into the eyes of his own helmet. I want it to be an impressive model, to say the least.

You know I got a model of a Imp. Fist cmdr doing something like that. I based off the argument of "why do marines go to battle helmet less" so I modeled a gunshot ripping thru the eye peice and he looking at it. (I really need to get my camara fixed :) hard to discribe)

Sounds cool, going to show us the sketchs or is going to be a surprise?

You know I got a model of a Imp. Fist cmdr doing something like that. I based off the argument of "why do marines go to battle helmet less" so I modeled a gunshot ripping thru the eye peice and he looking at it. (I really need to get my camara fixed :( hard to discribe)

Sounds cool, going to show us the sketchs or is going to be a surprise?

I'll post them in my WIP thread when I get some more ideas and sketches done. I'd love to see some of your stuff, but you fail in the camera department. :lol:

Dope figure! I didn't care to read what the fuss was all about.

I did read that you got rid of the glowing eyes, so i'm down with that.

Other than that, i'm really feeling the way the model looks. A squad of these guys would look really impressive!

Keep it up.

Archived