Apocaylpse

ok yesterday was my second apocayplse game. it consisted of 10 players each with 2500 point lists so 12500 a side.

teams consisted of

me: 13th company 4 squads of grey slayers the uber wulfen lord with wulfen biker retinue, wolf priest with wulfen, maxed out fenris wolves, 2 rune priests( to try and knock out some pyskers), and long fangs.

eldar player 1: skimmer tanks

eldar player 2: snipers

eldar player 3: wraithlords and special k phoenix lord

guard player: armoured companied

we had 2 baneblades my "Heart of Russ" (Fortress of Arrogance for that much needed BS4) and a special pattern from Imperial Armour.

disorder counted as such

Ork player: 300 orks "Green Tide"

Chaos player 1-3: Spam Daemon princes, obliterators, special characters

Guard Player: played the picket line along the back board

now we lost due to alot of poor rolling. looters destroyed 3 flying skimmers in their first shooting phase, turbo lazers shooting Titan in the back that would not come into range also the fact that the disruptor beacon and the fact that i couldnt make a 4+ on the disruptor caused alot of bad things.

all in all though i was happy with my wolves. my wulfen lord on bike managed to whipe kharne and a greater daemon out along with 4 lesser daemons and 4 terminators

and my wolf priest sent lucius screaming back into the warp

however i left the game feeling pissed though.

i felt let down as on my side i had the greatest number of models consisting of 73 and thus told to hold the line and keep them off their back sides. ok boss my 40 grey slayers are going to try and fight off 300 orks, 15+ obliterterators, 5 daemon princes, kharne, lucius, fabius, a chaos lord, typhus.

i mean they did splendidly at that with my rune priest gating aroud i killed 36 orks in what i managed to shoot. 16(rapid fire bolters) 21 from the bane blade cannon and had lined up to flame fabius and his 9-10 nurgle marines before the game ended as well as rapid fire another iron warriors squad with plasma guns, plasma pistols, and bolters

killed a chaos lord and his chosen squad, wounded 3 dameon princes allowing 2 to get picked off by my eldar sniper friends, killed kharne, lucius, a greater daemon, ana myriad of others.

however i still felt pissed because of the lack of class i felt of the 3 chaos opponents. i know apoc is the bring it if you got it. but 5 daemon princes 3 being slaanesh, 1 tzeentch, 1 nurgle, 3/4s of the special charaters you have and an increasing number of obliterators every turn i felt i was at a cheese convention.

am i wrong for feeling quite bummed out if not angry. it was so bad in my belief that im thinking of sitting out if these armies come back.

That´s Apoc, simple and plain. No need to feel pissed, Brother. I had played at least 12 Apoc games and uses whatever i can field with my SW and Grey Knights, 13 Apoc formations/units and 7 SC´s.

Logan Grimnar

Ragnar Blackmane

Ulric the Slayer

Njal Stormcaller (i found some 3rd Ed rules for him written by Andy Chambers)

Sternhammer

Brother-Captain Stern

Lord Inquisitor Coteaz

Baneblade

1 Predator Assassin squadron

1 Linebreaker squadron

2 Armoured Spearheads (1GK and 1 SW)

2 Ancients Assault Forces [1 GK(3 dreads) and 1 SW(7 dreads)]

4 Officio Assassinorum Execution forces (5 Callidus, 5 Evasor, 3 Vindicare and 3 Culexus)

Sternhammer´s Wulfen Guard (3x10 Wulfen)

Grimnar´s Warcousil (My version of the MotC)

Conclave of the Emperor´s Justice (A datasheet i had made for my Inquisitors)

To be honest i play with the thought to field Primarch Leman Russ with home grown rules (A friend of mine has 9 Bloodthirster, 1 Lord of Change, 1 Great Unclean One and 1 Keeper of Secrets. 2 Brass Scorpions, and a selfmade superheavy tank).

Apoc is made for exact that. You should not start an Apoc game with the expectation to win, only to have fun. See how two mighty armies annihilate each other. From all 12 games i had won only 2 and lost 2, the rest ended up in draws. But each had been a great fun. For your 13th Co. you need more Wulfen for Apoc. Sternhammer´s Wulfen Guard lead by Sternhammer is always a great fun. I shredded a Green Tide (100 orcs as a single mob) with my 30 Wulfen in two CC phases. I killed an Eldar Titan (the only one i had faced at all) with my Predator Assassin squadron. Even a Titan is not unstopable. Try to take it easy, Brother.

Guest WG Vrox

Well it's right that you feel the way you do toward the Chaos Spawn, our acute senses and their fowl smell do not mix well. As for never playing them again well, I agree with Dark Bjoren Just, Bring all the special characters you can and expect that they will bring as much cheese as their model collection will allow.

As for your commander, remember the wolves don't always follow the codex's ways or orders we are given rather we see what needs to be done and right or wrong do it. So if you were asked to perform as a meat sheild and thought maybe because of your placement you would be better off doing a flank manuver, well...... Just be prepared to get blamed for the loss or bask in the glory of the win.

Don't let the outcome spoil you on the game. learn, adapt and overcome wolf brother.

WG Vrox

Yeah, I have to agree with the above posts. I've played in about a dozen apoc games, and you will, and i stress WILL see craploads of monstrous creatures (in one game I think there were about 12+ carnifexes on the table). You really just need to keep objectives in mind and try to outplay your opponent. All those big baddies means he sacrificed a unit per daemonprince. Just work around it;) And dont use superheavies like baneblades to take them out. Those are great for those green tides, etc.

I relish the opportunity to bring my non-cheesy apoc list to the table, sitting somewhere around 8k pts

Somewhere around 10 WGBL's or lords(inc logan, ragnar)

2x RP

2x WP (inc ulrik)

4x Dreads

20x WG termies with lots of heavy weapons

3x LF packs

2x5 biker squads (let by WGBL's for 6 bikes total)

6x OBEL scouts

6x sniper scouts

40x GH's

30x BC's

LRC

LR

2x Preds

3x Vindi's

WW

4 Rhinos

2x RBs

3x DP's

Hellhamer variant baneblade

This tends to be a rather shooty list, but I love being able to field a WGBL for just about any unit. It makes my opponents downright afraid to charge me, which suits me fine as I'll just blast them from the battlefield if they dont. I really want to make a guard/ad mech force to go along with this so that I'll be able to field a massive apoc formation by myself. I dont like relying on others brining a playable list, but I know my wolves will perform well. Try to come up with a gameplan before hand and dont go into an apoc game blind, otherwise it just turns into a giant cluster f*** and it's hard to try and get a full game in. If I can ever find the cord form my camera, I'll try and get some pics up of the 176k pt apoc battle we had a few months ago. Highlighted models: a deamon player with I think 8ish greater daemons and 4 DP's on the table, an IG leviathan, Warlord titan, 2 warhounds, more baneblades than you can shake a stick at (inc a shadowsword <3 ) and several other armor formations. I wouldnt suggest a game that big (took about 30ish players) but it was fun to see that many models out. my 8k of wolves, my wifes 3k of DA's, buddy's 15k of Imp fists and a smattering of smurfs annihilated the crons, traitor guard, eldar and tau that were on our table (about 25k all told) and ended up on the daemon players table and proceeded to wipe him out of the game. good times!

Anyway, enough of my carrying on. Moral of the story, get more wolves, kick butt, dont rely on allies to play the way they should.

considering that i was slightly miffed about the game and wrote that i see that yall are right. however i have 13th company... only and my collection of marine vehicles are quite small. 2 dreads and 1 drop pod atm.

im gonna go look for a good leman russ primarch datasheet and bring him next time.

I've only managed to play one Apocalypse game, and at only 6K it was a tiddler. Still, I managed to stick down a Warhound and a Fellblade as well as about 7 other tanks, 2 Dreads and 5 Termies (backed up by 10 DW Termies - all Deep Striked together.) And it was and absolute blast.

Golden rules of Apocalypse - Only play with friends, and forget winning. Just have a laugh.

i think that may have been another problem at that game of the 10 players i could only call 3 of them my friends 2 eldar and the traitor guard. the others had driven from where i used to live and to be honest the ork player was rude as hell and made snarky comments that could have been left out, the other eldar player (wraithlord) i didnt really know and the 3 chaos marines were big, stinky, and pakcing all the cheesey units. unfortunatly my team went into this pretty blind.

if the same players come back. i think ill field a giant army of blood claws and take on the entire ork and guard army by myself. that or vindicator assassins to stop ghazkull in his tracks. that or something else. i dont know i have tell Feb.

edit: just did my list thats 105 blood claws each packing either 2 powerfists and 1 power weapon and 1 meltagun or 2 power weapons and 1 power fists with meltas. with 10 grey hunters and a logan, ven dread and 2 battle leaders

The joys of APOC, Hell I would take all the SW special characters and then some, add loads of wulfen with rending and take shed loads of fenrisian wolves just to bog them down.

Idve been a little upset too... generally we play that unless your army is above 3000 itself you play with a FOC... after that you can take anything. Even with a bring it if you got it... Idve been upset with being told to be the meatshield for three eldar and a gaurd player. Bollocks to that. How did you have more people than a gaurd player for odinsake!? Even armored company should have some chimera filled troops. *sighs* Not to mention eldar can pack in some numbers.... nothing like orks Ill admit.... but god.

Im sorry man. Still, good show. Hopefully the next one will be better.

there lists were pretty much 6 skimmers with dragons, dire avengers, and a the seer council sheet

a bunch of snipers, 2 wraithlords, serpents and some others

5 wraithlords, avatar, warlocks and farseers, and k phoenix lord with 3 squads of scorpions

the ig player had 3 leman russ's one vanquisher kind a baneblade 5 baneblades with 2 command squads and 3 squads of the other *he was using imperial armour so i dont know much of his list)

yeah id prefer to have at least more troops in the next game instead of an army of obliterators in cover that i couldnt even touch.

Archived