Landspeeder Storm

ApolloSZ

So, my eldar foe and I were discussing the new units vehicles etc, when he suggested the following

3 Landspeeder storms carrying a squad of fifteen BC's between them to deploy that beserker goodness somewhere on the table - Yes I know this defeats 'dedicated transports' but, we are all known for our affinity for disobedience (yes I stole that from the Matrix) - But isnt that nasty? Wouldnt let the cerebus launchers stack or anything like that, but, just, ouchies! SO I pose this to you for your discussion brothers, and if one of you tries it, let me know how it worked for you, I've yet to get a battle to try it.

Actually, I dont even see the BC's using rappel lines,

"Brother Jorgund, please fly a little lower as we cross the enemy."

"Why... ?

BC's leap out of still moving Landspeeder howling and grinning as they plummet towards the unsuspecting squad below.

"Sigh... there they go again."

Guest WG Vrox

Lol, yeah wouldn't that be a sight.. I was thinking LSS squadron upgrade for a transport, but they don't come in squadrons ;) fun thought though. In the end though I think it would be the Power Armour that would keep it from happening.

WG Vrox

Itd be a cool idea for an apocalypse game for sure.... or a small friendly game. One note for game balance- make it so that cerebus launchers dont stack. Also, remember they are Morkais Breath.... ;).

I thought they could only be used by scouts?? if thats the case with the marine dex its hardly fair to put BC in them, better to put SW scouts.

I thought they could only be used by scouts?? if thats the case with the marine dex its hardly fair to put BC in them, better to put SW scouts.

Yes this is correct, but what they were implying is it would be fun thing to try out for friendly purposes with the agreement of your opponent (most likely a good friend for sure if you're trying to pull this).

I like the idea, to be fair though I'd say they'd have to go slower though since you are carrying power armor (heavier dudes than scouts) so no going flat out. ;)

So if you try this let's hear how it goes, sounds like a blast. ;)

Your right Grey wolf, this is a friendly game idea. And good idea about the no "flat out" because of the added weight. Room wise, I see them holding onto the sides, maybe with added running boards on the Speeder.

Beef - yes your right about the scouts, but what are our BC's compared to in the nilla marine dex? - Scouts = new recruits - BC's = New recruits. (yes bad logic and not really valid, but leave me alone, its very early lol.)

As for pros/cons - If you come up with any additional ideas let me know.

++edit - Dammit, spelling. Like I said, early. Lol.++

Sure for friendly games as long as your opponent is ok with it its fine. Besides who else but BC would be dumb enough to jump on a LS and assualt out, Maybe roll a difficult terrain test to make sure none of them jumps out and breaks a leg or trips up.

Your right Grey wolf, this is a friendly game idea. And good idea about the no "flat out" because of the added weight. Room wise, I see them holding onto the sides, maybe with added running boards on the Speeder.

Beef - yes your right about the scouts, but what are our BC's compared to in the nilla marine dex? - Scouts = new recruits - BC's = New recruits. (yes bad logic and not really valid, but leave me alone, its very early lol.)

As for pros/cons - If you come up with any additional ideas let me know.

++edit - Dammit, spelling. Like I said, early. Lol.++

Name's Wolf89... or were you referring to Grey MAGE? ;) either way I forgive you. ^_^

I like your idea too Beef... maybe a BC had one to many to drink... DEAR GOD! conversion idea for a wolf scout on a storm... haha I can picture him now drinking himself over the side. :lol:

Guest WG Vrox

I agree weight is not the issue, game balance is. The no flat out is a bit harsh, but I see three issues that need to be addressed to keep it.

+ to powerful to both shoot from a storm and assult in the same turn. The storm would not be able to fire in turn the BC dismount for the assult, nor would the BC be able to shoot from the storm.

+ I say give back the flat out, but make it like run. roll two dice for movement during the shooting phase, but no dismounting after a flat out roll.

+ What happens if one of the storms are immobalized or destroyed. Here is the ugly, if a storm is hit during a flat out roll, the passengers are dead period. Can't be having no unit coherency issues.

+ In a way for 5th rules and balance for spacewolves, not having the ability to send troops quickly to an objective is an issue that I hope they discuss for our new codex.

WG Vrox

edit: spelling, forth issue

+ What happens if one of the storms are immobalized or destroyed. He is the ugly, if a storm is hit during a flat out roll, the passengers are dead period. Can't be having no unit coherency issues.

and you said mine was harsh :down:

Guest WG Vrox
and you said mine was harsh :down:

ok, ok. but only other way would be to do an emergenecy disembark by the whole squad if someone lives through the crash. Tactic wise, it probably works in our favor to continue down the game table with whats left of the pack.

Apologies Wolf89 ;) I did mean you.

Vrox you make some good points. Reading over them, I agree with no assaulting after a Run (which is the rule anyway innit?), they spend the assault phase attempting to unbuckle their seat belts, find their lost beer mugs anything they didnt hold onto etc.

No shooting at all im not sure on. Maybe the speeder not shooting on turn I want to assault, but I could see the BC's jumping off and letting loose a few shots - "Nothing says surpise like a bolt pistol to the head." - Maybe either no flat out, and BC's can shoot pistols and assault (like disembarking from normal vehicle of choice) OR the speeder can go flat out and they assault (no shooting period)

As for one speeder crashing - option of loosing all claw members in that speeder on crash, or taking wounds as normal for the passengers? And then letting them run on foot with speeders running slow too (I can see the use for that, imagine if they crash just before deployment)

++EDIT - Wait... can speeders do a 'Run'?

Drop the cerebus launchers, increase points by five per model, add special rule that they cant deploy into it.

I suppose I should explain that. Open topped means you can assault and shoot out of it. That in and of itself isnt a bid deal... but marines on first turn assaulting might be considered a bit overpowering by people. Having to embark in means you cant assault out of it. Five points to upgrade from scout transport to regular, with the difference in the first turn assualt. Maybe another five because you can have a squadron... speeder squadrons can be tough.

Archived