Tournament report

megamat008

Greetings brethren,

I had a 2000pts tournament last week-end, which went quite well.

My list can be seen at the bottom of this thread http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=139042

We were 48 players, split up in groups of 4 for the saturday games.

I had a Thousand Sons player, an Eldar and a Black Templar in my group.

My first game against the TS started quite well, with the WGBL and WGBG shooting a Daemon Prince to death, but luck slowly changed sides when he began to pass all his 4+ inv saves against my PF wounds, while his sorcerers were killing 3 SW a turn :D

Besides I forgot to finish off a lone sorcerer standing just next to a big TS squad as I thought that it was part of it, and the bugger quickly jumped into a rhino to grab an objective on the last turn. In the end he had 2 objectives and contested mine so I lost. I am still astonished by the ability of his TS to shrug off anything, even against squads with 4 PF.

Second game against BT, to put it short it was a very bloody fight, where I lost all my squads but a GH one, and I killed a big 20 man squad including chaplain and servitors and several other squads, only leaving a minidev squad standing. In the end we each had an objective, so it ended as a draw. I have to admit that with the new preffered enemy rules and wound allocation, BT have become much better in combat and tougher.

Third game against eldar, which had 2 DA squads in Serpents, 2 big guardian squads, some Scorpions, a WL and lots of War Walkers. The Mvp award goes to my BC which podded next to a guardian squad, flaming 10, then wiped the scorpion squad to the last man even with the scorps charging them and my BC beeing Doomed by his Farseer B) . The BC then proceeded to destroy 3 Warwalkers in CC, shrug off a Bladestorm form a DA squad, and wipe them and an Autarch who had joined them to the man. The 4 remaining BC even managed to run an grab an objective in the last turn. I also managed to grab a second objective after destroying a Serpent while he secured one with another DA squad in a Serpent, but he almost managed to snatch the darw when his Hawks deep-striked next to an objective, but he scattered just less than 1" away for my GH which were sitting on the objective, and rolled a 1 on his DS mishap :P

Sunday the groups were shuffled again, and I was expecting to go against people who had about the same win/loss ratio as mine, but the organizers messed it up a bit and I ended against 2 DH players.

First game was a walk in the park, as he had chosen to leave a LRC full of GKT in reserve, while all my reserves were there by turn 3. I slaughtered his army to the man, even destroying his LRC which had moved 12" with a Chainfist ;)

Second game was against a similar army, lots of GH, Stormtroopers in Rhinos, a Dread and a LR, but the guy had much more Psycannons this time. I got first turn, podded just next to his LR and exploded it with a single meltagun. Needless to say, it was a uphill battle for him from here. Even worse for him, the game was played with Night Fighting rules, which doesn't bother us Wolves at all ;). I managed to grab the 3 objectives, and in the end he only had his GM left standing. The bugger still managed to survive 3 full turns of CC against my Ven Dread, even glancing him on each CC phase.

In the end I ranked 8th out of 48, which I was quite pleased of, while another SW player ranked 4th. His army was half mech/half DP, and that's what I intend to lean to. I'll post a revised army list soon.

All comments and ale pints are of course appreciated.

Congratulation ;) 8th off 48 is not bad.

Well % wise it's just great, if it had been out of 24 he'd have been 4th, 12 2nd... 6 then he'd be first place! :jaw: haha

A good read, and always great to hear of fellow wolf brothers doing well in events.

I also pulled out with a draw against a BT player a while back... he only had an HQ left though :jaw:

I never understood the reason for taking stormtroopers for Daemon Hunters... they're just not worth it for the way I play them. :jaw: Also a bummer for those two DH players facing off against an army that is arguably the top 3 armies they'd do the worst against.

Thanks for the comment guys, I appreciate it ^_^

However I just noticed after reading Nightrunner's battle report against DA that I forgot that I hit Thousand Sons on 3+ in CC :)

I would have killed that damned sorcerer much sooner, and certainly grabbed that objective for the draw.

Well, I'll remember it next time I face a DA or TS player :P

Guest WG Vrox

Nicely done anyway megamat, a very respectful result for you.

I don't know how many times a little slip up like that has cost me a win over a draw or a draw over a loss. Heck one of these days I am going to put a post it note on my drop pod saying don't forget to fire my Storm Bolter fool.

WG Vrox

I don't know how many times a little slip up like that has cost me a win over a draw or a draw over a loss. Heck one of these days I am going to put a post it note on my drop pod saying don't forget to fire my Storm Bolter fool.

WG Vrox

Every once and awhile I forget to roll for my wolf scouts. That's why now I have them sit on my codex so I don't forget.

The original reason for storm troopers in DH was to have two cheap troop units so that teleporting PAGK units could me maximized. Under the new rules where only troop units can hold objectives, that reason has faded. I find that WS5 S6 attacks are tough for Wolves to handle, especially with the PAGK getting Tru Grit with their storm bolters. If they can be beaten to the objectives and forced to attack troops in cover, the situation gets easier.

WG Vrox

Actually what I used to do for my old chaos army (this was 3k or so point army, maybe only 2500 was the list I tournied with...), where I laminated my whole list, then used highlighters and markers to keep track of everything, daemons, chaos abilities, you name it I had it organized and marked...

Wish I wasn't lazy :lol: , I'm lucky to remember which daemons have yet to come in and which are already dead in my chaos daemons lists ;)

-edit-

The original reason for storm troopers in DH was to have two cheap troop units so that teleporting PAGK units could me maximized. Under the new rules where only troop units can hold objectives, that reason has faded. I find that WS5 S6 attacks are tough for Wolves to handle, especially with the PAGK getting Tru Grit with their storm bolters. If they can be beaten to the objectives and forced to attack troops in cover, the situation gets easier.

That's what I'm saying is I don't know why they take stormtroopers they're nigh useless and mass PAGK with 3 LR's is the way to go.

You have to remember though that PAGK don't have frags, and SW's being the king at counter would shoot, receive the charge, go first and spank some DH's (if you're in cover, which is easy to do in 5th).

I don't know I play both armies and I can see my SW's winning every time.

Archived