Grey Knights versus New SM and Old Eldar.

Gentlemanloser

We decided to have a blow out this weekend, and play a couple of 3K pointed matches for a laugh. Not Apoc, standard FOC rules. I was eager to try out the new FW changes, and my friends were more than happy to use FW rules.

My list;

HQ

GKBC, CF, Psy

9 x GKT, 1 x Psy

Troop

Justicar, Frag, Melta

9 x PAGK, 2 x Psy

Justicar, Frag, Melta

9 x PAGK, 2 x Incin

Justicar, Frag, Melta

9 x PAGK, 2 x Incin

Heavy

GK Dread, MM, EA

Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

GKLR, EA, PMSB, PCB

GKLR, EA, PMSB, PCB

Elite

GKBC, CF, Psy

9 x GKT, 1 x Psy

Inquisitor, Annointed Weapon, Psy

Callidus Assassin.

Rocked in at 2,999. My overall plan is to keep the two Incinerator PAGK squad sin the LR, have the Psycannon PAGK squad (and attached Inq) hold any long Range objective in my DZ, and Drop Pod the Dread, for the two GKT squads to DS off the beacon.

First up were the Spaces. We rolled anniahlation, Dawn of War.

I lost choice of first turn and was forced to go first. Spacy list;

Marneus

Honour Guard (6 I think)

Pred (Cannon/H Bolter variant)

Dread with MM.

Ven Dread with A Cannon

10 Man Assault Squad

10 Man Sternguard

4 ML Dev Squad

Telion and 9 Snipers (Telions Bolter isn't a sniper rifle!)

Couple of Rhinos

Couple of 10 man Tac Squads

Land Raider

One other Squad of something.

I Deployed the Psycannon PAGK squad into a ruin, and the SM player deployed Telion and a Tac Squad in a Ruin.

First Turn.

Dready Drops where I want it, Psycannons kill a Scout. My Inq moves in (not close enough to join the PAGK Squad) and my two LR roll in 12" on the other flank.

SM roll in, they really do nothing of consequence (Telion snipes a Justicar with a rending hit...). Apart from the DP. It contained the Sternguard and Marneus. >_< Ugh. Overkill. He made a mistake, and Dropped it in the corner behind my PAGK squad (other side of the board to my LR). SG rolled out and killed 8 PAGK. Marneus had a bad turn and failed to wound (even with his re rolls).

Second Turn. (Kill Points. GK:0 SM: 2)

Cally comes in for me, and joins the Inq and 2 remaining PAGK with the SG. She roasts two SG, the Inq fails to kill. All charge. My Dread appraoches a Tac squad, fails to get in range to charge (due to Difficult Terrain). LR move up the left flank. Cally, Inq, and remaining APGK charge. Kill a few more SG. Inq and PAGK are wiped out, Cally takes a wound.

SM manage to take the MM of my Dread. Cally jumps out of CC with SG and Marneus with a 2. :D

Third Turn. (Kill Points. GK:2 SM:3)

Both GKT come in, off the DP. One LR roll up to a Squad of 10 SM. PAGK unload, obliterate it with 19 hits from two incinerators, before rolling for 16 SB shots. Both GKT obliterate the 10 Man Assault Squad. LR kill a Rhino, two of the squad inside die in the burning rubble. Cally kills another SG. Cally assaults, has no grenades, dies in CC. But she held up the SG and Marneus long enough. At the far conoer of the board, they were too far away to take part in the rest of the match. Dread charges, SM Krak grenages do nothing.

GKT take some fire, then get tied up in assault by a Dread and another Squad. Honour Guard disembark thier LR and shot then charge the Incinerator PAGK squad.

Turn 4. (Kill Points: GK:6 SM:4)

PAGK finish off the Honour guard, leaving only the Justicar alive. Other LR rolls up thorugh dangerous Terrian to the squad buring form the destroyed Rhino. Unleash Incinerator Doom, then charge and finsih off the sole surviving member of the Squad.

Ven Dread charges my Dread, takes off it's PF. Justicar is shot by LR. More close combats. Around these last two turns, the SM lose thier Assault Squad and an attached IC to the GKT.

Turn 5. (Kill Points: 8 SM: 5)

GKBC walks over to the enemy LR, hits it with CF. LR dies. ;) Incinerator Squad takes out ML Dev Squad.

My Dread is toast, and a 10 Man tac squad fail to Krak grenade my DP.

Games ends.

If it had gone to another round, I would have killed a Rhino, Melted Telion with incerators, and beat up his Dread with CFs.

Next, Eldar.

Eldar list of utter doom. >_<

Fire Prism

10 Wraithguard as Troops

Eldrad

3 x 10 Harlies

2 x 5 Reapers

2 x 10 Pathfinders

20 Man Guardian Squad

Ugh...

We got 5 scattered objectives and the deployement with the no go bubble in the centre.

I lost roll to go first, and lost stealing the victory.

I'll not go turn by turn for this one, I kept the Inq and Psycannon PAGK in a ruin in my DZ, one LR on each of the edges of my corner and everything else in return.

Basically, the LRs rolled up, incinerated the guardian squad and a pathefinder squad (I played the troop game, trying to eliminate all his scoring units and protect my objective in my DZ. In turn those squads were both obliterated by Harliquins. My Termis came in, did some damage, got obliterated by Wraithguard (doomed and guided) and Harlies.

End of the game, I conceeded on Turn 5. I had 4 PAGK left. He had 6 Pathfinders, 2 Wraithguard and the lone warlock from the Guardian Squad left (was fleeing from being incinrated, but the Avatar caugh him a turn ago and allowed him to regroup...) The Cally came in turn 4 and failed to kill the solitary Warlock. >_<

So in turn 5 he could have taken 3 objectives to my one.

But I held up better than I expected. I really wanted to keep the incinerators in the LR and unload on the Harlies, but they shileded themselves behind Troop choices I needed to kill.

In both games, the Cally didn't really cut it (and AWIYE was useless). But what stood out for me, by far was the combination of Incinerators in Land Raiders.

The LR are so durable now, and unloading two Incinerators in people faces really, really hurt.

Two very good games. Glad to see Grey Knights still holding their own against two very competitive armies (new SM and Eldar);

The LR are so durable now, and unloading two Incinerators in people faces really, really hurt.

Yeah, it's a pity you didn't get to torch those annoying Harlies, better luck next time eh?

In my 2,000 point list for killing horde armies I run three Crusaders, two with 10-man squads with dual incinerators and the remaining one containing the Grandmaster and his retinue (complete with squad incinerator). I run my mixed army list (ie fire support Lord, Assassins, camping PAGK with psycannons, lone Brother-Captain etc) against Marines and similiar, but after your performance I might have a go running the 'anti-horde' list against some Marines. It's always fun to rush into enemy lines and just annhilate squad after squad.

Yeah, it's a pity you didn't get to torch those annoying Harlies, better luck next time eh?

;)

Yeah, it's what I wanted to do with them, and he knew it as well.

I just couldn't let the Pathfinders live longer, they were picking off the camped PAGK slowly. Plus the Harlies and the Guardians (damn warlocks S9 spears!) were hitting the LR too hard for them to be left alone. :lol:

I want to include more Dreads in DPs, the full three to get two turn one drops. But I don't think I'll now ever drop the Land Raiders. I am considering using FWs Twin Linked Psycannon versions over the Lascannons.

Lascannons don't seem as good for popping AV14 any more, and for Tanks smaller than LR I'll hit them on Side with Psycannons, or rear amrour in CC with NFW.

Save the Melta's and Chain Fists for the Land Raiders. ;)

Archived