mechanicus

ilnar

Just finished the book and must I found it very enjoyable. Again, as stated earlier, I am a sucker for anything with Knights in them and this did not dissappoint. That and some of the gaps in the AM history were filled in nicely. The ending was a bit "fast" for my liking but I understand why.

Severus6

71 pages in and my only regret is that I lack the imagination of the author to get a real feel to the enourmous size of all the facilities and structures on Mars. ;)

The factories and refineries seem to be huge and on the scale of the largest buildings and palaces on Terra.

Still a little confused about where I am on the planet, whether is be Mons this or Mons that.... but all in all, an enjoyable book... so far!

The factories and refineries seem to be huge and on the scale of the largest buildings and palaces on Terra.

You know, thats a real good point. It seems that the basic building block of any AM site is not the Forge in an of itself but the reacters and the power grid for the forge. Granted it was a blinding glimpse of the obvious but still it seams that power and the means to spread it were secondary to that of creating.

Severus6

I thought it was great. I lapped up all the background info on on the Mechanicus and the Emperor and the last battles (read Magma city) were a perfect rendition of a honourable last stand/charge (won't say no more) even if some of the bravery might have seemed over the top to some I thought it just showed honourable/brave with men with Titans (or knights) at their best.

I'm close to the end, and kinda sneak read the end part. I liked it, and now we can finally put to rest all our conspiracy theories about the AM and their connection to the Dragon. However, as other said, the ending was a bit pushed and ended too drastically.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just finsihed this book and loved it. The last stand agasint Melgator and the energy and mood were awesome.

Im just a bit lost with 2 bits.

a) The Emperor and the Dragon - Did that actually happen? Where did he grag the Dragon off to Mars? Whats the big lie then?

;) What are the Guardians guarding if not the Dragon?

Thanks for any clarity.

Just finsihed this book and loved it. The last stand agasint Melgator and the energy and mood were awesome.

Im just a bit lost with 2 bits.

a) The Emperor and the Dragon - Did that actually happen? Where did he grag the Dragon off to Mars? Whats the big lie then?

:P What are the Guardians guarding if not the Dragon?

Thanks for any clarity.

I'll answer the second question first, to the best of my ability.

The Dragon is locked away in secrecy, possibly deep within the planet itself. He doesn't need "guarding". What needs guarding is the truth. What I'm confused about is why have the truth sitting there anyway. Why not just destroy it all and be done with it? If nobody is supposed to know, you destroy the evidence. So why keep the book? There's only one explanation...

The room and the truth of the Emperor's exploits are a tool, and one that must be employed, should the Dragon awaken. Perhaps it contains a clue as to how to imprison the Dragon.

Alternately, the room is part of the imprisonment device, and must exist in order to keep the Dragon in check.

Now the first question: Yes. It must have happened. Otherwise, why would there be a room to begin with?

I'm sure there are other interpretations, but that's what I come up with.

Thanks that clears it up a bit - but where did he take th dragon? medieval persia to mars?

That's the idea, yea. Lots of people are taking this really literally, saying that there's no way he had space flight back then. That's not really the point. There are other ways he could have moved the Dragon to Mars. Perhaps The big E defeated the Dragon on Earth and the Dragon retreated to Mars via teleportation or perhaps the Dragon had a Necron ship. Or perhaps they fought psychically and he was always on Mars but the big E convinced the Dragon to seal himself in. Perhaps what the big E defeated was an avatar of the Dragon, and once he actually reached Mars he put the finishing touches on sealing him in.

Seriously, I could go on forever with the postulation, but the point is, the big E didn't have to build a Saturn 5 rocket in medieval times in order to seal the Dragon in a tomb on Mars. I'm sure he's been keeping secrets from humanity since the dawn of time and we will never know the truth of the whole story, but there are lots of ways that could make sense.

I'm guessing the Emperor has mastered warp travel many thousand years ago, or might have opened a gateway through the warp to Mars. His psychic powers is unmatched even by the chaos gods so it's probably not the biggest task for him to move the void dragon to Mars.

I must say I was very pleased with the novel, and I was really glad I'd read "the Kaban project" from the collected visions book first, as there is a lot of the Kaban machines background that is not mentioned in mechanicum but only loosely referred to.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

For me, Mechanicum was both embarrassing and disappointing. I did not read all of it. I expect that this is not the book most are referring to. The knowledge of technology was mediocre and the gender stereotyping grated on me.

Addressing RexTalon’s assertions: The technology required to confine the void dragon would be much more advanced than what the Imperium have even now. Such technology is not of the Emperor unless the Emperor is himself a C’tan and has deceived others regarding his heritage. It is a distinct possibility that the Emperor used C’tan technology to seal the void beneath Mars.

Archived