Ethernal Warrior and instant kill special weapons

jur

I play chaos and my friend plays space marines.

He has uses a special weapon that, if it inflicts a wound, always instant kills but my deamon prince is an

ethernal warrior so it is imune to the instant kill rule.

Does this also apply to such a weapon.

Eternal Warrior makes him immune to Instant Death. It does not matter if it says "always" inflicts Instant Death, as the Eternal Warrior is always immune to it.

Other weapons that do not invoke the Instant Death rule but instead "kill outright", "remove the model from play", "remove remaining wounds" and suchlike, this is a little less clear. RAW would kind of suggest in these cases that it bypasses Eternal Warrior and other immunity to Instant Death, however.

Might be best off specifying which weapon your opponent is using.

Sounds like it could be Sicarius and his Coup de Grace attack. If so, it should use the normal ID rules (being part of the most up to date codex), and therefore Eternal Warrior should work against it, but I shall check it when I can get to my codex.

Thinking about it, there is very little in the new SM codex that causes ID, regardless of strength. As Maligoare suggests, there is Sicarius and there is also Khan, though his works a little different. There is also a librarian's Force Weapon, which causes ID in 5th edition (codex specific examples aside). I am pretty sure everything else in the book goes by normal strength v toughness values.

And yes, all of these examples do invoke the normal ID rule, with nothing to suggest they would negate Eternal Warrior, Tyranid synapse or any other ID immunity.

Thinking about it, there is very little in the new SM codex that causes ID, regardless of strength. As Maligoare suggests, there is Sicarius and there is also Khan, though his works a little different. There is also a librarian's Force Weapon, which causes ID in 5th edition (codex specific examples aside). I am pretty sure everything else in the book goes by normal strength v toughness values.

And yes, all of these examples do invoke the normal ID rule, with nothing to suggest they would negate Eternal Warrior, Tyranid synapse or any other ID immunity.

Both Khan and Sicarius specifically inflict Instant Death, to which Eternal Warrior makes the model immune.

To make a long story short, if the wording specifically says 'inflicts Instant Death" then eternal Warrior stops it. If it uses any other wording, like the old Force Weapon ("slays the opponent outright"), then Eternal Warrior doesn't stop it from working. Eternal Warrior only stops the effects of the Instant Death rule, not anything that instantly kills.

Archived