Why Wolves?

Skirax

I am thinking about collecting wolves as well as my codex chapter, why should i do this, stuff like "Wolves are best" blah blah blah aside, i know they rock that is why i want to collect them.

I am thinking about collecting wolves as well as my codex chapter, why should i do this, stuff like "Wolves are best" blah blah blah aside, i know they rock that is why i want to collect them.

Space Wolves are the best. . . . .

I play both Khorne and SW's so I can tell you the transition from one to the other isn't TOO extreme and you'll be welcome with the great combats. I even use khorne bezerker bits with my SW's to give them a little extra "something" and help resemble 13th company.

Sit back, enjoy the overpowered wargear/units, enjoy the fluff, enjoy the praise by the many SW players here on the forum for joining us, and enjoy paying the bar bill. ;)

For me it was the fluff. Which is why I will never stop playing them (if I'm honest it's not cause I win all the time, or ever). You gotta like the background and you'll grow to love them. If you want a game machine army then chose something else.

i wouldnt. a marine is a marine no matter what the list calls them. they all come with a head, torso, legs, arms, bolter or bolt pistol and ccw plasma guns, meltas, flamers, bikes predators, land raiders, rhinos, razorbacks, drop pods termies.

theres never a reason to not start a new wolf army. you just have to paint the models and viola

And this would have nothing at all to do with the fact that I have broken the SW list at all would it...? :)

For now, I'd say focus on your Marines and Orks, see which way the wind blows for Wolves. Of course, if you really want to go for it. Just don't use them in the Schools League... we proved it doesn't work.

And this would have nothing at all to do with the fact that I have broken the SW list at all would it...? :huh:

YOU broke it? I beg to differ, but that's besides the point, if you all must know though it was a group effort by all of us. ;)

Great link Vrox, I forgot about linking one of the thousands of posts in the space wolves forum about starting space wolves. :D

Why wolves? Because Bears hibernate and the emperor cant wait.

Because marines are full characters who are wonderfully close combat oriented and have J and S for support. It can be done, but its costly.... Wolves let you have all the flexability of a marine squad with all the close combat goodness you might crave. Thats the difference on paper.

The real difference? With a few rare exceptions codex chapters simply dont play as aggressively as wolves do. They flow in a different way entirely. I couldnt find a full drop pod force in the Ultras list section when I looked... but youll find it here. Black templars have some similiarities, as do blood angels.... but the balance is different there to. Blood angels are bound to CC, while wolves relish in it. Templars tend to play similarly to many wolves but charging becomes much more of a requirement for them.

Space Wolves are flexable. The emphasis is there on CC, but you dont have to base an army around it to win. That being said no matter how you build your army you will be better at CC then an ultramarine force.

And this would have nothing at all to do with the fact that I have broken the SW list at all would it...? ;)

YOU broke it? I beg to differ, but that's besides the point, if you all must know though it was a group effort by all of us. :Elite:

This is true. Concerted pack effort to try to break the Codex as substantially as possible.

Perhaps some background is necessary here - I run the club Skiraz attends, and my Wolves are almost unbeaten (1 loss to a legal list, one to an illegal list.) Possibly the greatest victory came against Skirax's Ork Horde, when I annilihated his entire army for the loss of no Space Wolves (3 Grey Knights died... they were in my case and I needed the numbers)

However, as we here all know, for the moment the Wolves played well are almost unbeatable. Such can be said of most armies, but I firmly believe Wolves offer the most bang for buck, and certainly the most variable both in terms of truely competative lists and modelling wise.

Yeah but you also break most tanks you touch (cough vindicator cough). Yet however much I do slag you off, Ill always know I only beat you twice, both legal lists (400 pts).

I also am starting a wolf army as they appeal to me in so many ways...

Yeah but you also break most tanks you touch (cough vindicator cough). Yet however much I do slag you off, Ill always know I only beat you twice, both legal lists (400 pts).

I also am starting a wolf army as they appeal to me in so many ways...

400 pts isn't fair for wolves, they don't start getting really competitive until 1500+.

And when you say they appeal to you in so many ways you mean the fact that they're the best? or the fluff is the best? ;)

What is better than ripping to people to pieces with your bare hands? Ripping people to pieces with the speed and fury of your power axe strikes.

Heh, 2 PW or 2 PF or PF/PW in a pack couple with maybe 2 plasma pistols and a melta gun? Which part of that sentence doesn't scream "chuck me at their line and I'll tear them a new one"?

Why not? I'll tell you why not, if you enjoys wearing dresses and look pretty or all crazy because you think you're your Primarch or if you like being vanilla than go ahead look else where. If you like running around the battle field screaming oaths to the Emperor and wearing black armour with knightly crosses...oh wait thats awesome.

If you like celebrating a hard earned battle with A grade booze or mourning for the loss of your comrades with A grade booze or your Primarch basically told his brother take his book "Nerf Book" and shove it up his Primarchy-hole than the Wolves are all for you too. :lol:

There is no real answer for this, I just like the fluff, the conversions that can be done, the GW and FW range, the SW forum commuters.

The fact that i don't win a lot with my wolves doesn't outweigh any of them.

*nods* Its the reason alot of my old friends went to chaos legions.... not because they wanted to corrupt the innoccent and watch the galaxy burn *that was just a happy coincidence* but because it ment that no one could tell them their freaky mutant was wrong.... as long as it felt right to them.

Depth. If you like to believe in your army, Space Wolves are great because they have personal depth. They can stand up with any marine in the Imperium, but also don't spend their off time polishing their dresses. They drink, eat, and most importantly...be human. They have grudges, and honor. The depth of their humanity is probably what I like about them the most.

Archived