Stage 1 of my oath completion: Brother Titus - Dreadnought

St.Gabriel

well I've never posted photos of my own mini's before on here due to shame in my painting/converting/sculpting skills but I figured I might as well get around to it and hopefully get some constructive criticism.

However, given that the dread is only base-coated (and needs another at that) at the moment, with a little bit of repositioning and (very!) little sculpting, this thread will serve as a place I can post updates on how things are progressing.

I know I could post it in the PC&A but seeing as it's part of the expansion crusade I figured here was okay too ;)

so without further ado, I present the WIP-brother titus

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...2844_494689.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...2844_881290.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...2844_251405.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...2844_526756.jpg

I plan on doing some more sculpting, like a banner and a cross on the lascannon arm

and a free hand cross on the dreads left leg, and a chain wrapped around the shield on the right leg :tu:

C&C very welcome and much appreciated

really looking for ideas on what else to throw on him, as well as thoughts on the postioning pose and my first ever free hand detailed sculpt

++edit++ I realized his "feet" seem off when put in perspective to the shield on the shin-guard portion.

instead of one toe facing front-left-back-right I've got it twisted 45 degrees off, which throws off the whole look (to me at least)

The sculpted skull and laurels are fantastic. Could you post a step by step guide of how to do it with some tips (greenstuff mix, how long you leave it before sculpting, etc). I've been painting for a long time but I'm new to greenstuff and finding it frustrating!

cheers.

absolutely.

I'll post some pictures of the how-to when I can but I promise you, it's far easier than you think! trust me, if I can do it, your dog spot could :tu:

++EDIT++ more pics of this dread in my gallery, which I just started today.

I like it. I like it a lot! Especially the walk pose.

Cheers!

thank you :lol:

I'm not sure if any of those who have been around long enough to notice have done so, but this is one of the old school fully pewter dreadnoughts that **DIDN'T** come with swappable arms in a multi-piece plastic kit, and the sarcophagi were not interchangeable.

this was the Dark Angels dread complete with the robed angel with sword on the front of the sarcophagi, which I had to painstakingly saw of with a razor-saw, file and then fill in some gaps with GS before I could use the sarcophagi cover that came with the BT accessory sprue.

I've also decided to do the afore mentioned free hand on the panel on the dreads right of the sarcophagi and add a similar bt/empire shield as a shin guard on the trailing leg.

My goal is to have him suitably ornate to be used as a venerable dread, and if I don't need the Ven, or can't afford it, just a pretty regular dread :(

I'm also wondering what the forums thoughts are on adding a nice/decorative tabard with a pattern sculpted onto it. (having the pattern sculpted before the folds are added makes it easier to paint along the folds and keep symmetry and parallelism by following the existing pattern B) cheating I know but )

here are some more WIP pictures.

I was really trying to give the impression of the dread striding up the battle field all the while dishing out some good old lasbeam and missile death:

I'm also not sold on the red tips of the lascannon

his right shin plate is the crusade badge for my crusade, while his left shin plate is the crusade seal of the 2nd purging of lastrati.

and I have yet to decide how to paint the sarcophagi cover.

and the skulls on the shields on the shins as well as on the cross on the lascannon arm are going to end up being boltgun metal with mithril highlights ofc. I decided against the bone colour.

anyways.. here they are, C&C welcome and appreciated!:

gallery_15524_2844_905071.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_199224.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_221741.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_626987.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_646711.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_118189.jpg

gallery_15524_2844_533673.jpg

Keep in mind it is still WIP :D

thanks!

Heh, yeah I remember the metal MkV dreads, kind of a pain to keep from falling apart if you ever dropped them.

I absolutely love the half maltese cross on the front armour, very striking, immediately recognisable as BT and fits nicely with the rest of the scheme. Good job!

Very impressive, I like the way you`ve got it in the walking pose!!

ty ty :)

Looks very good! I love the heraldry on the leg shields!

Thanks. I originally thought to put the shields on his legs for some "counts-as" extra armour, and to give him a more detailed look so he could be playable as a venerable dread if I chose to do so. and when it came to painting them, I thought "heck.. might as well make them nice big pretty crusade badges"

Great! I too like the heraldry on the legs.

I might just pinch the ideas for my unit I'm doing for the challenge!

:)

thanks. and of course, go right ahead! my one recommendation of course would be to keep it simple. from experience, a more complex heraldry/crusade badge can make the model look cluttered or unbalanced :)

Heh, yeah I remember the metal MkV dreads, kind of a pain to keep from falling apart if you ever dropped them.

I absolutely love the half maltese cross on the front armour, very striking, immediately recognisable as BT and fits nicely with the rest of the scheme. Good job!

as a matter of fact, this dread (as the pictures show) still isn't completely assembled, glue-wise) easier for transportation, and swapping arms. Really hoping to buy a new plastic one, or likely a resin one from FW soon :)

and to be honest, I pinched the maltese cross idea (at least the painting style) from this here dread, which belongs to a B&C member I believe (NOT MINE!!!):

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dreadnought1di2.jpg

although I don't think I replicated the nice shaded effect quite the same.

thanks for the comments guys!

also, does anyone have an opinion about the tips of the lascannons? I'm thinking I should have gone black as the red is a touch over powering to me. your thoughts on this?

Your dread looks good, I will react to the only thing that I didn't like, which your last question is exactly about : the tip of the Lascannons.

If you want to keep the muzzle breaks red, you could paint the actual tip of the cannon some other colour like black or metal with some brown to show it has heated. Anf you should definitely drill the cannons.

Hope my post is understandable !

Your dread looks good, I will react to the only thing that I didn't like, which your last question is exactly about : the tip of the Lascannons.

If you want to keep the muzzle breaks red, you could paint the actual tip of the cannon some other colour like black or metal with some brown to show it has heated. Anf you should definitely drill the cannons.

Hope my post is understandable !

definitely did.

and I have since decided to paint them black.

as for drilling, I have every intention of doing so, I just have to guy buy some new bits as most are now dull.

thanks!

I'll hopefully finish him by the weekend, when I'll post some pictures of one of my 10 man crusader squads that are now WIP

Archived