Finding Fluff

jester_prince

Whats the best source of fluff for the grey knights and the Inquisition? In fact what's the most concrete source for books about 40k in genral, I know when dealing with many different authors for books ect you get variations sometimes even total contradictions (like with starwars novels) so id like to know a few good authors that have done their research and are genraly treated as the benchmarks for other authors.

I think this is something we would all like for pretty much any army... unfortunately with GE/BL you will not find ANY benchmarks, just a collection of what peoples onterpretations of the army are...

Personally I likes the GK trilogy (Grey Knight, cant remember if the second was warrior coven or dark mechanicus, and the third is hammer of deamons)

I think this is something we would all like for pretty much any army... unfortunately with GE/BL you will not find ANY benchmarks, just a collection of what peoples onterpretations of the army are...

Personally I likes the GK trilogy (Grey Knight, cant remember if the second was warrior coven or dark mechanicus, and the third is hammer of deamons)

dark mechanicus

dark mechanicus

Dark Adeptus, actually. The trilogy is okay, and a decent source of fluff -- but by far the best thing to come out of it was their battle prayer. "I am the hammer, I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist..." That prayer was really great.

Beware - read the codex before reading the Trilogy. Some bits are good, but some aren't - GKs don't use Drop Pods at all, their Strike Cruisers are equipped with teleporters as standard (which completely gets rid of the whole 'sacrificing the Rubicon' sequence). It isn't that well researched in that it contradicts existing fluff in a number of places, but where it expands (instead of contradicting) fluff, its good.

Thats the problem though GMT there are very few details books about GK's out there, they pop up from time to time in other stories with a completly slanmted perspective but this trilogy (as stated above is not perfect) is about the best we're going to get.

If you can find them the old WD's when GK's fist came out (back in the day when a 5 man squad and tooled up hero was about 1000pts!) will give you some really good backround. I'll have a search round my old ones to see if I can find which issues

Some of the out of print materials from the Black Library are good too if you can find them on Amazon or EBay or something... though they're more encyclopedic or have not as much "Just Grey Knights" information. I've found lots of good tidbits about the Grey Knights in my acquisition of materials for Inquisiton fluff as a whole.

Archived