novice player need; suggestions

no name the great

I just got in to 40 k over the summer and i would like some suggestions on what to buy to increase my armies effectiveness in battle.

I have the Battler force for space wolfs

i have two run priest, one in terminator armor

10 regular marine(i use them as gray hunters) besides the ones in the battle force

8 terminators i think a little more or less i cant quite remember

a dreadnought, i like to say it is a venerable cause i am lame like that, it is also painted pink cause my friends are mean

and a long fang squad

i know i need scouts but you guys have any other suggestions for me, i mostly play the tau, orks, inquisition and eldar

Space wolves is a tricky one, it largely depends on how you play...

Long Fangs are great, but very pricy, so I wouldn't put too many out there, Dreadnoughts are a great way of getting anti-tank shooty-ness but personally I dont like them (dont let that refelct on your choice, some people swear by them).

Bikes I think would give your force some much needed manouverability, soemthing Space Wolves could always do with more of.

I, personally, would have to go with at least 2 Grey Hunter packs, Wolf Priest, Venerable Dreadnought, a small pack of Scouts for some OBEL tank-hunting goodness and kit out your packs towards whatever you are playing against. Gatta have the Drop Pods for them as well.

I plan to have multiple special weapons troops per pack so I can switch them out according to who I am playing against (flamers for hordes, plasma pistols/plasma gun(s) armored, etc). My Ven Dread kicks BUTT with his Assault Cannon and with his Drop Pod with Deathwind ML it's a mighty punch to anyone. The Wolf Priest is an excellent choice I think especially with a plasma pistol.

But thats me.

Guest WG Vrox

I see you needing some range weapons and a way to get your troops into battle.

You need a bit more transport. You may want to look into Drop Pods, cash wise they are only 30.00. If this sounds good I suggest you check out some DP lists. One of them is doing pretty well in the UK GT right now. you can read his battle reports on this forum. SW can get their termies into battle faster than most armies at the moment. Drop Pods will serve you well here. Get 3 drop pods if your going to do this.

I am a big fan of Attack Bikes at the moment, 3 would be about right as to how many you will find yourself using at times.

Don't go crazy on the wolf scouts, start with 4; 1 melta 1 PP 2 shot guns< if you can find them. if you want 2 more you can go with 1 more PP or a PW guy depending on your play style.

Other than that some armor is always fun to field at times, definitly a Vindicator and possibly another Vindicator or Preditor, whirlwind is a plus in 5th edition rules.

If you want to give us a few tactics you like to use, we can give you better suggestion gear toward that style

Keep that army growing, we always need more wolves on the battlefields.

WG Vrox

Definately have to agree with the Drop Pods but then again that is how I like things in my fights....up close and brutal.

I played a 3 Drop Pod fight last weekend (1DP-Ven Dread; 2DP-Wolf Priest, WGL(TDA),8 Grey Hunters(Meltagun, 2 PP, 1PW); 3DP-WGL(TDA), 8 Grey Hunters(Plasmagun, 2PP, 1PW)). They preformed very well, or would have had I used them properly but I was too conservative being only my second time really playing ever =P

Otherwise you have to get Wolves up close quickly which means Rhinos/Razorbacks or Drop Pods (or Land Raider when you get up in the points).

Plenty of 750pt modular lists in the Army List section.

You have a rhino.... Id reccomend another one. However Id say you should do that after getting a predator. Its a great way to get in some long range firepower, its got tough front armor to keep it around for a while, and itll make your rhino more survivable.

As for your dreadnaught.... repaint it. Not a big deal. I have two dreadnaughts... finally found my old metal one about two weeks ago, a bjeorn model, and my newer one that Ive been using as a vendread is just a regular plastic space marine dread with the wolf bannerpole and diamond shaped insignia from the grey hunter box. No big.

Things to consider.... blood claw boxes make BP and CCW grey hunters too. You might want to invest in a pack of them.

Whirlwinds are cheap, points wise, and can be very useful. AP kills orks, eldar, and tau well enough.... not to mention it has an ignores cover shot wich means you can take out those annoying eldar rangers with ease.

What do you have on your terminators? Weapons that is... they can be really powerful.

Is one of your rune priests in power armor? With a giant wolf pelt and a plasma pistol? I have that model too, and use it as a wolf priest. Remember it doesnt have to be exactly what the package says as long as it looks right on the table.

Drop pods!

In a recent match last Saturday against some nids, I found that not using them is handy too. In facing Tau I love drop pod lists, just bringing everything down on top of them. The wolves can be played many ways, and with units like Long Fangs, all seem pretty viable. Toy around, find your style for starters.

Of the Tau, Eldar, Orks, and =I= which did you like the best?

Archived