Sternguard, combi-bolters, and special ammo

Dudley Nightshade

I noticed in another post in another section of the forum that someone is using special ammo with his combi-weapon-wielding Sternguard. It got me thinking, is that legal?

Case against: In the Sternguard entry (pg. 136), it says "...may replace his boltgun with ... combi-melta, -flamer or -plasma" (emphasis mine). Couple that with the entry on pg 63, "Each boltgun-armed model ... comes with several special ammunition types."

To me it looks like they're saying that even though a combi-bolter is logically a regular boltgun with an extra underslung (overslung?) weapon, that it is, in fact, a completely different weapon than a "boltgun".

I have been avoiding combi-bolters in my Sterguard squad because I want the special ammo. Is there consensus on this one way or the other? How do other people play it?

Ack - sorry, looks like this question is answered in a thread that's still on the first page even! :)

A much better question would be, does the special ammo apply to storm bolters and bolt pistols.

And the answer would be, "most likely not." And you would still refer to p. 63 of the Codex where, in the Sternguard profile, it clearly states which weapons may have their profile types modified by the special ammo types (bolters and the bolter-components of combi-weapons).

There's another thread in this forum in which three or four people laid out the rule quite simply, and one went into a voluminous analysis of the special ammo type rules. And then some people laughed at that individual for thinking about it too much. But it's still a very good analysis. :D

There's another thread in this forum in which three or four people laid out the rule quite simply, and one went into a voluminous analysis of the special ammo type rules.

Yup, that's the thread that pointed me to the quote in the codex that answered my original question, which prompted me to then edit my original post.

I get it. It's in the codex.

Archived