Why do you play daemons?

Captain Malachi

I wanted to make up a small Daemon army, like many people, to work with my Chaos Marine army in larger games.

Also, I thought that the idea of using just Infantry (well discounting the Soul Grinders) instead of tanks and transports would be a fun alternative.

The daemonic element of Chaos has always been the major pull for me. Its the thing that most clearly defines them from their Loyalist brothers and so I like to embrace that aspect when I play. Playing a full daemon army just seemed like the continuation of that idea.

I saw the Soul Grinder, and that's what hooked my attention.

The other big element is the play style.

one the one hand, it's absurdly random. I don't know if it's tourney-caliber; people have won with it but the list has some deficienices (...like killing tanks, for example...and expensive troops...And that whole 'issues with deep striking' thing.) However, the play style is a challenge, and someone that plays hard armies can do a number on it if you're not careful. Heck, they can do that even if you are.

And it's an excuse to field 2-3 monstrous creatures and 2-3 Soul Grinders. I can dig that.

Daemons influence the material universe with their 'games'. I love the idea of this force of completely indifferent, yet united horde of unimaginable horrors (Not just of the Tzeentch variety) pouring from rips in the warp. The sheer terror the enemy must feel is pretty immense. Daemons are everywhere, regardless of WH40K or not, they're in every religion and can be used to explain the nagging feelings that people get even if they aren't religious.

Daemons are power incarnate. They were born to rule.

Archived