chaos obliterators

Fury_of_Fenris

hey there guys sorry another annoying set of questions. i was just wondering a few things about obliterators

1. can they still move and fire heavy weapons since there like terminators?

2. since the have two attacks does that mean they can shoot a lascannon or plasma cannon twice

3. would two obliterators be better than one predator

thanks in advance guys!

Yeah, i definelty agree with the 2 oblits as opposed to one pred. You can force squads to have to shoot at 2 sperate targets, they are easier to hide behind cover, and they have a helluva lot more options. AND it gives you the ability to do assaults and Hand to Hand combat, whereas the pred doesnt. And besides a few weapons, that 2+ save will help keep many weapons from actually affecting you, though, most weapons on tanks are gonna be AP 2 or better anyhow, so that last statement may not mean so much.

well my army is assault based and i plan to use them slowly advancing hitting the bigger targets and tanks etc softening up the more dangerous elements before my boys ride up in their rhino's. i was a bit worried because once a tanks hit with a big weapon my fire supports basically gone as im doign a 750 amy to begin with.

Also note that while oblits seem to be terminators they are not in fact terminators and do not wear terminator armor so they can still sweeping advance.

Sweeping advance is gone now, all that you can do is Consolidate, without coming into contact with enemies.

You are thinking of massacre.

Another thing, no one has brought, up, you can drop them on your icons were needed without having to worry about scatter as well.

Yes Page 81 of codex Chaos under icons & deep striken.

Also sorry hijack this topic but recently I been told Oblit's can get three attack on the charge (two normal & then one for charging) is this true?? Just I alway rememeber them being "you have two attack & that it", don't know if it change & not seeing anything that said no so far.

IP

Obliterators do indeed get an extra attack for charging now. The rules for slow and purposeful changed so they now get the bonus attack for charging. (The downside for such units charging is that they now effectively always count as charging into cover and will strike at initiative one when charging. Not a problem for obliterators though.)

Back to the original topic I echo the others. Obliterators are almost always better than a predator. Far more options for both weapons and deployment options.

Another thing, no one has brought, up, you can drop them on your icons were needed without having to worry about scatter as well.

Yes Page 81 of codex Chaos under icons & deep striken.

Also sorry hijack this topic but recently I been told Oblit's can get three attack on the charge (two normal & then one for charging) is this true?? Just I alway rememeber them being "you have two attack & that it", don't know if it change & not seeing anything that said no so far.

IP

true. 3A.

p.76 [s&p usr] and p.37 [number of attacks]

I personally find Oblit heavy lists "unsporting", its just too hard to kill them with anything at low points battles. BUT they do have more options than a predator. Against somthing like orks or nids, take the pred, anything else, Oblits in squads of 2/3, 1 is a waste of time. I'v had a lone guardsman I ignored kill an Oblit in CC....

I'v had a lone guardsman I ignored kill an Oblit in CC....

Um, with T5, 2 wounds, and a 2+ armor save, how could that happen?

I guess anything is possible, even if it isn't likely.

I can imagine in the same way that this could happen. ;)

• 1 month later...
but this makes no sense . all working chaos armies are mecha . you could as well say dont play oblits play with preds , while all the best army list run oblits and not preds . I can remember a top 8 chaos army that run something else then a single dakka pred.

so why force it on everyone?

well your opinions are just like my . you write "The only time I'd say to take the Dakka Pred over 2 oblits is if you're -already- taking a mechanized list.". considering that I havent seen any footslogging armies that work , neither on any tournaments [you ingnore that] or the various forums [including this one] , this means that your opinion is that preds are over all better then oblits [because all chaos armies are mecha]. that is quite a categorical statement , that I stronglly disagree on .I mean you dont even say its an option or a different way to play . No , you say that for mecha chaos armies [nearlly 100% of armies] predators are a better choice .

I was saying that if you want something that FEELS MORE NATURAL for your army, take the Preds; and only if you mechanize it.

what does "feeling" natural have to do with army composition of an army in w40k ? for a chaos army to feel natural , I would need a few thousand cultist meat shields , dread claws , warp gates and stuff like that . army compostions in the 5th ed with the new codexs rarelly has anything to do with being even close to the actuall chaos fluff .

as the 3 ways to play goes . I think there is one army build with 3 different armies and they all play the same way . not my foult its like that .

i think many of us feel that you can be a bit over zealous when taking about what units to use/not use jeske, as many people have said some of us play for fun and "meta games" and "maths hammer" don't really matter to us as much as having fun. some even employ restrictions,narratives,campaigns etc in the interests of having a good time with your mates.

army compostions in the 5th ed with the new codexs rarelly has anything to do with being even close to the actuall chaos fluff .

as the 3 ways to play goes . I think there is one army build with 3 different armies and they all play the same way . not my foult its like that .

this game is what you make of it and it also depends on what your gaming circle is like, maybe this is the case where you play 40k but where i play it is a whole different story.

Well, if the thread starter cared more about having fun than taking the best unit, he would have asked if 2 obliterators were better than 1 predator, he would have asked which choice was more fun.

"feels natural" "fluffy" and "fun" are not objective criteria for selecting units, because the abilities of the units don't matter in those cases: you just field whatever you want.

-Correction, they are not objective criteria in selecting the most powerful/best unit.

i feel exactly the same, to use an example.................

many times we will see people posting questions asking about the effectiveness of certain units within an army.

search for example Abaddon and the general consensus in the chaos ascendant boards is he is too expensive, not mobile enough or less effective than lords/sorcs with wings and/or princes.

skip over to the loyalists boards and you'll see many people having discussions about how to best counter Abaddon and how much of a headache this causes them.

Archived