what can a razorback fire?

Falafel

Hey there, I beat my Orky pal tonight and during the battle we ran into this question:

Can my razorback with twin linked plasma gun and lasannon fire all this while moving at combat speed. something tells me no, but the model sure looks like it doesn't require more work to fire all or just one gun. not like seperate sponsons on a predator do to me.

Anyway I just shot either plasma or lascannon. Any insight would be welcome though...

See, back in 3rd the plasma guns used to be co-axial, and I think Matt Ward pretty much just put in the weapon wording used in the 3rd Ed Codex, which was "lascannon and twin linked plasma gun". I have a feeling it may have been intended in the new Codex that they be co-axial, and thus "count as" 1 weapon. However I do agree with nighthawks, and also believe that you did right in choosing which to fire.

See I wasn't going crazy there after all. Just didn't really know how to phrase it.

thanx a lot, seems more balanced this way but when it came to firing I was like:"why not just shoot em all, they point the right way!" and decided against it; the poor old boy was losing already anyway...

OK so right http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=152639 people are of quite another persuasion.

Bad wording in the codex too.

Personally based on the model itself I'd consider them co-axial and use a house rule to allow my opponent to fire them as a single weapons system (like the 2e twinlinked rules). Basically if you can shoot one weapon then both the Lascannon & TL Plasma fire at the same target.

I'm likely to stick with the old plan though. BUT, if we were to consider the two weapons systems as two (only seperately fireable) weapon systems, would that also count for asdifferent choices for the "weapon destroyed" result on the damage chart? see the trade-off?

oh boy bad linking

OK so right http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=152639 people are of quite another persuasion.

Link broken

I'm likely to stick with the old plan though. BUT, if we were to consider the two weapons systems as two (only seperately fireable) weapon systems, would that also count for asdifferent choices for the "weapon destroyed" result on the damage chart? see the trade-off?

yes, 2 weapons are 2 weapons in all respects. it would be nice if they fired at the same time, but tradeoffs are as you mentioned, and therefore pretty useful.

OK opinions differ obviously so this would be one for the FAQ I guess.

Although I might have to ask somewhat frequently...

Opinions on how people would like it to work differ, but the rules are clear.

The codex says you replace one weapons with two. It does not say or even hint at them being coaxial or able to fire together. Not even in the fluff. It just says it has two weapons.

The BRB has absolutely no rule such as coaxial weapons or even indicates that two heavy weapons can be fired together.

As there are absolutely zero rules to allow someone to do this you can't.

Agreed. The coaxial rule is only present in Appocalypse, which is an expansion to the game, not core rules. The Codexes are designed to work with the core rules. Besides, even in Appocalypse, all coaxial weapons have this indicated in their profile.

Based on the old model, it would make sense that they were coaxial, but I think that is just a hangover from a model from three editions ago being brought back to life in a new ruleset. Ho hum.

Based on the old model, it would make sense that they were coaxial, but I think that is just a hangover from a model from three editions ago being brought back to life in a new ruleset. Ho hum.

Agreed, but in those days coaxial was actually the same as twin linked, which in those days meant roll to hit once, roll to wound twice. However, the difference between lascannon and plasma gun was a bit bigger as well.

I'm planning an army around Sicarious and three LC/TLPG Razorbacks, so this topic is definitely relevant to my interests.

I wonder if I could model a separate, lower-profile turret out of the closed hatch piece somehow. I think I could model the (new, free) spotlight into the gap on the main turret from having one LC chopped off. Anyone else think that would look cool, and make more sense with the rules?

That way they would look more like two separate weapons, and still share the 360 degree upper firing arc.

Archived