Black Templars Terminator Captain

Son_of_Russ6

Hi, All

This is my First post, so be gentle!

It's my Black Templars Terminator Captain. I've been experimenting with different methods to make him stand out against the rest of my BT's, so I tried my hand at Extreme highlighting. Any advice criticism or comments would be much appreciated!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/snakesonaplayne6/SDC10295.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/snakesonaplayne6/SDC10296.jpg

Welcome to the board. I like this models pose it looks like hes looking down at a slain enemy that he really hated.

Or that last scene of Revenge of the sith.

Thanks! Yeah, I was trying to go for a pose like that too. Eventually he'll be put on a better diorama base, with maybe a dying Eldar Autarch, I'm not sure yet.

Hey, as a fellow black templar player whose uses a similar technique, I'd either tone down the jump between your two highlights, or lessen the amount of the second highlight. Also, if you want to make him stand out more make something more gold (like his helmet) or add some more red to make it pop. White don't hurt either.

Hope this helps

Wait there they are. I like him! Interesting pose to him, comes across as very domineering and powerful. Good choice on the colours too.

Thanks. I was trying to limit my pallet as much as possible while still keeping it chapter correct. He was the first figure in my "Stealth Templars" army, the army still isn't done but as soon as it is I'll post some pic's on a new thread.

Hey, as a fellow black templar player whose uses a similar technique, I'd either tone down the jump between your two highlights, or lessen the amount of the second highlight. Also, if you want to make him stand out more make something more gold (like his helmet) or add some more red to make it pop. White don't hurt either.

Hope this helps

Oh trust me, every little bit helps. I'll try more of analogous grey on grey on black highlight, as apposed to white on grey on black. As for the red, where would you recommend I put it? Do you have any tips on painting with gold, because I have quite a bit of trouble getting it to go on smoothly? What should I use for a base coat when painting things gold?

Hope this helps

Oh trust me, every little bit helps. I'll try more of analogous grey on grey on black highlight, as apposed to white on grey on black. As for the red, where would you recommend I put it? Do you have any tips on painting with gold, because I have quite a bit of trouble getting it to go on smoothly? What should I use for a base coat when painting things gold?

To start I love the pose. If he is standing on a real rock, like one found in a parking lot or something its even more awesome. I like the paper on his gun too... Im a paper nut; more the better.

I agree with other colors being needed. I think clear contrast in colors are required for this type of highlighting. Black to gray isnt so "in your face" where there are other colors hitting the eye. With black/white troops and black/gold/red specials this contrast is met well. Even adding some brown dirt with green grass o nthe base would really add contrast.

For contrast here is a chap I did a while back. No highlights on the black, just paper... Looks bad imo.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/dadickerson/whpics016.jpg

Same chap with much more color and very healthy spray of matte.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/dadickerson/whpics001-1.jpg

Same chap again with other models with like-highlighting.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f185/dadickerson/warhammer07-12-0B001.jpg

Also there is way too much of the final layer. I don't know that a final layer is ever really needed on something that is either very rounded (upper shoulder and toe area) or something that light wouldn't hit much of (bottom portion of hip plates).

Hitting the model with 2 heavy hits of matte varnish (without fully fogging it up) will also really bring the black - gray more together. The matte makes the entire model a tiny bit brighter, which to me helps bring it in line. Also, having other models to look at (as they are when being played with on the table) helps a ton too as it adds cohesion.

As far as what color to start with on golds, I start with tin bitz.

All in all I think once you take a tiny bit of the final highlight out, throw in some other colors, and matte, he will look great in an army. What I put is only my personal taste though. Like any art, what some like, others dont.

Golds also look nice lightly washed with inks. I believe I use the GW ink Ogryn Flesh. But with the new GW inks, you need multiple layers to get any kind of dramtic contrast, especially on metal. To smooth gold (this is a general rule for all paint) it to water it down slightly and apply it in multiple washes. I'd go for the storm bolter and the helmet in gold, and some pieces of the storm shield with red ( i'd need a better shot of the shield to say where). Also to make your hero really stand out, go for some finer details, like a crusade badge (detailed in the BT codex) and some litanies in white on the black armor. I'll see if I can get a pic of my style later of highlighting later.

Hope this helps

To start I love the pose. If he is standing on a real rock, like one found in a parking lot or something its even more awesome. I like the paper on his gun too... Im a paper nut; more the better.

I agree with other colors being needed. I think clear contrast in colors are required for this type of highlighting. Black to gray isnt so "in your face" where there are other colors hitting the eye. With black/white troops and black/gold/red specials this contrast is met well. Even adding some brown dirt with green grass o nthe base would really add contrast.

Also there is way too much of the final layer. I don't know that a final layer is ever really needed on something that is either very rounded (upper shoulder and toe area) or something that light wouldn't hit much of (bottom portion of hip plates).

Hitting the model with 2 heavy hits of matte varnish (without fully fogging it up) will also really bring the black - gray more together. The matte makes the entire model a tiny bit brighter, which to me helps bring it in line. Also, having other models to look at (as they are when being played with on the table) helps a ton too as it adds cohesion.

As far as what color to start with on golds, I start with tin bitz.

All in all I think once you take a tiny bit of the final highlight out, throw in some other colors, and matte, he will look great in an army. What I put is only my personal taste though. Like any art, what some like, others dont.

I'll definitely paint more gold and red. I added more parchment parts as well. I can't post any more pic's because I don't have a digital camera, and my sisters (I usually borrow hers) got stolen so... yeah. Thanks for the help, man!

Very nice model, and the higlighting works a treat. Might i make some suggestions? (seeing as you asked for C+C i'll take that as a yes :lol:) Tone down the highlights on the lower edges of things (eg the shoulder mini shield, the shoulder pads) to make it seem like there is a light source in one direction? Thinking about it it may detract from the model a touch but will make him more "real" looking. And maybe add another slightly brighter red/orange highligt to the top edges of his templar cross to make it as intense as the black armour.

Al

Very nice model, and the higlighting works a treat. Might i make some suggestions? (seeing as you asked for C+C i'll take that as a yes :P) Tone down the highlights on the lower edges of things (eg the shoulder mini shield, the shoulder pads) to make it seem like there is a light source in one direction? Thinking about it it may detract from the model a touch but will make him more "real" looking. And maybe add another slightly brighter red/orange highligt to the top edges of his templar cross to make it as intense as the black armour.

Al

Sound advice, I'll definitely add some orange highlighting! Pic's forthcoming (fingers crossed)!

Archived