GK versus Ravenguard

vampyrerodent

Hello all, I am not new to the Inquisition, been playing Sisters since before the days of the Chapter Approved list. Anywho, I have a rather fun battle report of my Grey Knights list versus a Ravenguard player at 1850pts.

My list,

HQ

Stern, retinue of 4 terminators with incinerator and one with thunderhammer/storm shield

Elite

Brother Captain with psycannon retinue with another psycannon

Troops

7 man GK squad with incinerator (mobile)

7 man GK squad with 2 psycannons (immobile)

Fast Attack

7 man GK squad with 2 incinerators

Heavy

2 landraiders with pintle mounted storm bolters

His list:

HQ

Shrike with command squad with relic blade and lightning claws

librarian with jump pack

Elite

5 man Sternguard with combiweapons and powerfist in drop pod

Troop

5 man scouts with Telion and heavy bolter

10 man unit with flamer and lascannon, sarge with power weapon

10 man unit with melta, lascannon, sarge with power weapon in rhino

Fast

10 man assault squad, sarge with lghtning claws

Typhoon speeder

Heavy

Vindicator

The mission at hand was Capture and Control with the Dawn of War setup. We were to fight on a 4' x 8' city table with quite a bit of terrain and lines of fire going diagonal as opposed to straight across the table. He won the role and chose to go second. His objective was placed in his right hand corner and mine was approximately in the middle left of my side in order to avoid being jumped by units in reserve.

I placed my HQ in between two buildings with the incinerator squad in support to my right. This was done to push his infiltrators as far away from me as possible, without being behind terrain. The other troop was to hold my objective with the psycannons in a building.

He placed the unmounted squad in the building holding his objective with a lascannon aimed straight at my terminators. Scouts to my right with line of sight to my objective at about 40" range, but able to see my other troop choice. Shrike infiltrated to the left board edge behind a building 18" distant.

First turn in darkness

My HQ moved about 6" away from his HQ and took down one marine holding the objective, not much else.

His drop pod came down about a foot square from my left corner. The vindicator arrived and sat next to the objective building with a lane of fire to me, speeder to my right out of range, rhino squad behind it, and assault squad coming in from my right as well split into two 5 man units. Firing was ineffective for him as well.

Second turn

Everything arrived except for a landraider from reserves. I loaded up my FA Grey Knights into the land raider and came up the left side behind Shrike and company and the elite terminatrs advanced up the drop pod unit. The HQ and the mobile troop unit also advanced toward that direction. The firing phase commenced with 3 of the Command Squad dropping and 4 of the Sternguard being taken out. I assaulted Shrike with the result being my Justicar and Knight standing against Shrike himself. I was also just in range with my terminators to hit the last Sternguard who went down very quick.

The Ravenguard player advanced his rhino to come to the objective from my right with the speeder just ahead of it. The assault squad began to come from both sides of a building to the northeast for my HQ. The Librarian also moved forward to the northwest of my HQ in a pincer move with the assault squad. The firing commenced with three of my mobile guys going down to speeder and scout shots. His lascannon failed to penetrate the raider's from armor and the vindicator was unable to take down a terminator due the Emperor's protection (invul. save). The remaning Knights against Shrike went down who got up against the building to avoid incoming fire.

Third turn

All the terminators continued the advance along with the mobile knights, who also attempted to move out of range of the scouts. I also was attempting to get in front of one wing of the assault squad. The landraider succeeded a dangerous terrain test and aimed a lascannon directly at Shrike, one inch away. The lascannon missed, even with the re-roll. The machine spirit was able to hit and kill another marine protecting his objective. The terminators unloaded and killed the Librarian with massed bolter fire; missed 3 out of 4 saves. The Knights fired at the closest assault squad and took out 4. They then fell back 8 inches.

Shrike jumps over a building like Superman and lands behind my elite terminators. The lone assault marine jumps back to hit my mobile squad. The other assault marines form a line to the side of my HQ. The speeder dances back and forth in the street with the rhino slowly getting closer. Firing again was ineffective for the Ravenguard. The lascannon missed and the vindicator drifted off target 6". Meanwhile the speeder and scouts are still able to see past the Shrouding and kill another 2 Knights. The assault phase was quick and merciless. Every Ravenguard either missed or the wound was saved against. The Knights on the other hand were able to kill all who opposed them.

Fourth turn

Keep advancing all the terminators towards the objective. The landraider as well crept around the building to shoot the marines and vindicator. The other one had still not arrived from reserves. Firing consisted of the marines being brought down to just the flamer and lascannon remaining. I was just shy of assaulting the vindicator. As I was unable to get a clear shot with both of my psycannons on the rhino, I fired at the drop pod to no effect.

The Ravenguard rhino got to about a foot from my objective. The speeder not too far behind. The firing phase was again worthless for the lascannon as the HQ unit saved against it. The vindicator was finally abel to hit and took out 3 of the retinue. Stern and the thunderhammer termie remained. The speeder did no damage and the scouts were out of range. The marines in the rhino had jumped out with 6 of them in range of the squad defending the objective. Here comes the fun part. He fired with 4 bolters, stormbolter, and a meltagun, doing a total of 7 wounds with the bolters and the melta. The cover save for the melta wound was a 3, failed. The saves for the other 6 wounds on my 6 remaining guys were all 1s and 2s!!! ^_^ Unit gone!

Fifth turn

HQ gets to the front of the vindicator. The other terminators and lone justicar of the mobile squad turn back to help the other squad who just died to precise fire from the marines. The landraider finally arrives and is on the other side of the object, but still able to see to cover it. He wanted to avoid the melta gun. Firing phase saw the last two marines guarding his objective die, and one of his other marines falls as well. The vindicator explodes from Stern's attacks, who remains unscathed.

His marines jump into the rhino, which runs across the street to about 5" from my objective. His speeder still hovering to provide support. His rhino has already used his smoke launchers earlier so he has no protection. The speeder and scouts unable to harm the Knights at all. The Justicar making all saves required, as the Ravenguard obviously had it in for him. Game continues on a 4.

Sixth turn

Everybody able to, continues back to our objective. Stern remains to contest the objective. Firing sees the speeder float down to the ground missing the missile launchers, and shaken as well, this from the further landraider. The terminators are able to penetrate the side of the rhino resulting in an explosion killing 4 of the marines, leaving only 5 dazed as they become pinned. No other firing does anything.

His turn was rather quick with the scouts out of range, speeder immobile/unable to fire, and remaining squad pinned. Game continues to a final turn.

Seventh turn

His squad is still outside the 3" zone to capture the objective. I have all but Stern move/aim at this squad if in range or line of sight. The firing removes another two guys who make their leadership check.

On his turn, the remaining three guys in the squad clamber into the ruins to claim the objective!!!

What a turn of events, I failed 7 out of 7 armor saves to leave my objective naked and lose the game. Damn!! The chances of me failing those saves were exceedingly slim, and I should have been able to hold the objective and defeat his squad one on one. It was a gratifying loss, of sorts, as I was able to defeat his army as it was. I don't think I played too recklessly; I just had bad luck strike at an inopportune time. I just wanted to share the report.

V

Nice batrep, and bad luck! Still, it sounds like you roll armour saves like I do! One of the reasons I play with more raiders and less troops is that I am near legendary for my ability to fail armour saves. Fortunately, I don't have to roll anything when people shoot at my GHLR. That's probably why they survive. ;)

-Silent Requiem

Nice batrep, bummer on the loss. :confused: I to had a similar situation where my Grand Master was the only thing left on the board and I blew up a predator tank from the rear, then a lucky missile launcher shot got shrouding at 47 inches... hit my grand master, easy armor save.. rolled a 1.. instant death...

Archived