Pretty Daemonettes

Mr Peon

I have been getting my wife into playing some 40K and we started out with a few black reach boxes, She is busy painting orks.....

Well I took her to a games workshop shop to show her all of the pretty little orksies that she could get but when I got her there all she wanted was to get some daemonettes. Well after having not played 40K much since the early 90's I did not know much about these new units so I said I would get back to her on it.

So my question is if she wants to get the daemonettes and to field them can they only go into a chaos daemon army or could they go into a chaos marine army as well. I dont own either codex and rather than sitting in the store going over them I figured you guys would be the best to ask.

Any tips and clue for a "pretty daemon" army?

Well, firstly, yes, you can only use the daemonettes in a daemons army. You can use the MODELS to in a chaos marine army to represent the Chaos Space Marine unit "Lesser Daemons", which is just a generic assault unit.

Secondly, about your question on a pretty daemon list. If you want it to be pretty, i would do a combination of slaanesh and tzeentch. Slaanesh obviously because that's what she wants, and tzeentch because the various blues and purples would complement the pastels of slaaanesh and add some colorful....colors.

The good thing about daemonettes is that they're the cheapest daemon infantry of the four gods, and as long as you get a bunch into combat, their rending attacks will take care of power armored opponents, and their shear number of attacks will usually take care of hoarde armies.

Tzeentch has more pricey units, but their horrors can be used to sit back and hold objectives while shooting at incoming enemies, and flamers are a good suicide unit to drop down in front of any high toughness or good armor save units. If you plan on using horrors, i would recommend only using squad sizes of 5, just to put down, hold an objective, and forget about them. Equip one with bolt of tzeentch and have them shoot from afar.

Back to slaanesh, I'll go through the units by FoC

HQ.

Greater Daemon of Slaanesh: It's the greater daemon of slaanesh, nothing new. It's got fleet, a bunch of attacks, monstrous creature, high strength and toughness, and it's a rather cheap model. Even though i don't use monstrous creatures in my list, (i do tzeentch/khorne), i would suggest using one of these, because it's so cheap and you can earn points back rather easily.

Herald of Slaanesh: It's basically a champion daemonette, you can give it a bunch of upgrades to make it faster, more survivable...etc. The cool thing about daemons, is that you can have two heralds for one HQ slot (i have four heralds of tzeentch in my daemons list)

Elite: Fiends of slaanesh. These things are big beasts, they're quick with a bunch of attacks, multiple wounds, and rending. You can get them in squads of up to 6 i think (slaanesh's number). They're basically shock troops that can get to the enemies in back while your daemonettes attack enemies in front.

Troop: Dameonettes: I'm sure i've told you enough about them already. High number of attacks, rending, fleet, cheap, all you would expect. They are, however, about as survivable as your basic guardsmen. So think about gettings squads of about 15 to make sure they get to the enemy. Don't worry tho. With the amount of points you're saving going daemonettes, you should be able to get a bunch of them. *There currently aren't models for these, you can go on ebay and maybe find some, but GW is supposedly coming out with plastic seekers in the second wave of daemons in February.

Fast Attack: Seekers of Slaanesh: Incredibly fast daemonettes mounted on those long tongued, long legged, no armed, whatever-you-call-'em things of slaanesh. I would think about getting maybe two small squads of these, and putting a Herald of slaanesh on a seeker into both of them (you can do that, with all the upgrades for the herald of slaanesh)

Heavy: Well, daemons only have two heavies. Daemon princes and sould grinders. I'm not gonna go into these too much because i have no experience with either. But, the Daemon prince has about as many different variants as a carnifex, you can choose what god it's with, choose upgrades, weapons, blah blah blah.

And the soul grinder is basically a stronger defiler.

If you want, i could make a quick list up for ya and post it later. Just re-post on here any questions or anything you'd like me to go into further detail on.

Just remember the good thing about the new Daemons, there's no restrictions on mixing Gods, so you can create your own versions of the other Gods daemons to use in a "mono"-god list. For me, as long as you come up with a good excuse of what they represent, emotion-wise, then its all good, so you can't just grab some Bloodcrushers, paint them pink, and call them Slaaneshi. An example of this would be my (planned) Slaaneshi Plaguebearers, based on the Lying Figures from Silent Hill 2. Emotion-wise, they are the part of Slaanesh that is the emodiment of the desire to be dominated.

So if the current Slaaneshi daemons don't really fit your image, just put some thought into the army, and develop your own daemons.

Right now I wouldn't recommend a pure slaaneshi list, as so many of his/her models are metal, and he has a higher model count on average. However, your best bet would probably be to take 3-4 squads of daemonettes with 2-3 heralds in chariots leading it, with plenty of fiend support, and maybe a prince or soulgrinder too. Oh, and the keeper of secrets may be the best overall greater daemon.

Archived