An army for Khorne!

Morte

As a panacea to the sheer tedium of highlighting black power armor, I've decided to take a break from my Templars and put together an all-plastic daemon army of Khorne, on the cheap. I'm trying to challenge my creativity, rather than my wallet :P Of course, as most of the important models in the daemon range are metal, this either rules out 90% of the army, or calls for some creative conversion work! Note that I'm pretty opposed to anything metal, and I'd rather not have to extensively green stuff things unless I absolutely have to and no other option can be found. With that said, I'm looking for some creative ideas to represent the following units..

I've already converted footslogging Heralds from Bloodletters, and at some point I'm going to pick up a Balrog from the LOTR range and make that my Bloodthirster. I'm using the new Chaos Warhound minis as my Flesh Hounds (mainly because I like the models better, and they're cheaper at 10 to a box, all plastic). Also, I'm including Flamers of Tzeentch as elites choices, which will be represented as a unit I like to call Bloodboilers. For this, I initially considered modeling wings on Bloodletters, but that wouldn't have done them justice. Instead, I'm planning to use Wood Elf Dryads from the WFB range, do a little selective pruning for leaves and things, and paint them up to look like fiery imps. Also, 12 to a pack, all plastic, and would look great with minor conversion work. Comments on these ideas would be more than welcome!

However, I need ideas for representing Bloodcrushers, a Daemon prince (although I might wait for the WFB plastic kit), and other general units from the Daemons codex. I have thought about Chaos Spawn to represent Beasts of Nurgle (painted up as Khornate daemons, of course), but beyond that I'm at a bit of a loss. Also, what plastic chariots out there would most fit a Herald of Khorne?

For bloodcrushers, how about using the larger horses from the new knights of chaos with bloodletter riders? You'd have to convert the riders to fit but it shouldn't be too hard. Horrors could be represented by bloodletters with bows and arrows or something, daemonettes could be represented by more agile looking bloodletters, perhaps without the hellblade. Your winged bloodletter idea might be a better way to represent furies. Just a few things to think about :)

Bloodcrushers could be done like cyber-Bloodletters. I'm talking like getting a tank and fusing it to a BL Soul-Grinder style. Obviously you'd go for smaller vehicles, like Bikes or Land Speeders or Sentinels, but it would be an interesting conversion.

Captain Malachi also has some neat ideas to include all things Khorney.

Ironically fury wings were the pieces I had originally intended to use for my flamers of tzeentch/bloodboilers conversion to represent jump infantry. Only, they're metal, require greenstuffing, are expensive (when compared to 12 in a box Dryads) and there's something odd about buying a fury, but only using it's wings to convert bloodletters into furies. Would cost a lot for a unit that I don't see myself using much :lol:

I had thought about using the new Knights of Chaos box, but I haven't a clue how effective a conversion would be.

The cyber-Bloodletters idea is also cool, actually. If Bloodcrushers themselves weren't so prohibitively expensive I'd have an army full of them right now because I love the models so much. Trying to find a replacement that does them justice is my reason for this thread!

Also, does anybody have any ideas about converting a Herald of Khorne? My first Herald carries the horn from the bloodletters box (he is, afterall, a herald!), has a Khorne Berzerker shoulder pad on to represent iron hide, and has a dual bladed Hellblade (the other blade is a power sword that's been chopped at irregular angles to make the plastic "fold outwards" to make it look like the standard Hellblades) to represent Fury of Khorne. Not sure how to do my second footslogging Herald. The way the bloodletter arms and torsos are made, there isn't as much ability to pose the model as you'd like. A minor disappointment to such a great kit. Perhaps this one will have a giant banner?

You don't want to buy a unit of furies to make flying bloodletters huh? Then good sir I give you the marvels of the bitz section, they may be metal, but they're still cheap enough to make it cost effective, enjoy. :lol: Best bet for a a chariot is probably the standard chaos chariot, though at £18 a go, might be a bit expensive. As for making a different herald, that might be a bit hard without extensive greenstuffing, or taking a different model as the base, but then you'd get a very different model, what sort of look are you going for?

That's a PLASTIC kit? Oh my god. Now I have something else to put on my gonna-go-broke list. Thanks for the idea Wolf!

No problem, I'm almost certain it's plastic... I mean it says it is... and it's only 25$, so that helps... plus if it comes with the bodies (wouldn't see why not...) that'd be so cool. :confused:

That's a PLASTIC kit? Oh my god. Now I have something else to put on my gonna-go-broke list. Thanks for the idea Wolf!

No problem, I'm almost certain it's plastic... I mean it says it is... and it's only 25$, so that helps... plus if it comes with the bodies (wouldn't see why not...) that'd be so cool. ;)

I can confirm that it is plastic, for pictures go here and scroll down a bit, look for Chironex's post.

I can confirm that it is plastic, for pictures go here and scroll down a bit, look for Chironex's post.

Awesome thanks Nihm. Those corpses are sweet, aught to be interesting to see what you do with this Morte if you decide to use it. :o

I'm thinking of ditching the wraith on the cart for a bloodletter standing atop the pile of gore. The one problem is that it's so incredibly perfect for a palanquin of Nurgle that it almost feels like a horribly wasted opportunity, if you guys know what I mean. It even comes with a bell, it's got rotting wood, zombies.. what more could you want for a herald? I might even let it tempt me into expanding the army to include a Nurgle component, which I must admit, has always interested me.

On another note, my initial purchases have now been made and I have a roughly 1200 point army for just over $200 AU. Considering Daemons don't even have a battleforce, and most battleforces cost around $150, it's amazing how cheap you can get an army if you're creative about what you use.

In this case, I have 2 heralds, 28 bloodletters, 12 dryads (my flamer conversions) and a soulgrinder. The 12 flamers are definitely responsible for the high point army for such a cheap price.

I only wish collecting marines was as cheap as this!

Definately seems more nurgly than khornate, but if you can make it look khornate I'd love to see it.

It's next on the shopping list! I get the feeling it won't be done for a while though, seeing as how I have about 30 bloodletters, a bunch of "flamers" and a soulgrinder to prep. Took me almost 12 hours to put everything together; that Dryad kit is a nightmare for how many tiny fiddly parts there are. The bloodletter kit isn't much better; I don't understand why, for generic, single-pose WFB miniatures, they come 8-9 different pieces per model. I guess it's the same for kits like marines, but for some reason these things are truly difficult to assemble quickly.

Additionally, I have now officially spilled blood for the blood god. One of my precious dryads cut me last night whilst I was trying to file off some detail. Those models are sharp!

Managed to get my first game this weekend (no pictures, unfortunately), ended with quite a good result for Khorne. Played a 1200 point game against my mate's Eldar for kicks, and I'm proud to say that the Daemon army is incredibly fun to play. Very nerve wracking trying to deepstrike in - I lost 11 Flamers of Tzeentch total to massed Dire Avenger fire, but the last remaining one managed to take a heavy toll - 4 Rangers, 3 Dire Avengers, and even a Warlock! What I've noticed is that daemon armies absolutely evaporate in the face of heavy fire - bloodletters are like space marines in flak armor, and flamers are somewhat more survivable but are twice the price of a regular marine. What did survive carved its way through the Eldar army; one of my Herald + bloodletter units never arrived seeing as how we played 4 turns each, but the remaining units and the Soul Grinder made a horrible mess of anything they came into contact with.

In retrospect I should have played it more aggressively with my deep strikes, and try to land a flamer squad closer to my opponent's key units, since any player will wipe them out with whatever shooting they can muster.

Do invulnerable saves work against Breath of Chaos? Something to ponder. More updates to come as I get pictures taken of the army and get some models fully painted; I helped a friend put together an entire Tyranid Assault Brood over one evening (rather, I put the whole thing together by myself in exchange for a steak dinner) so I'm totally burned out.

Archived