what would you like to see in the next codex

Fury_of_Fenris

Iron Warriors- Fearless when attacking or defending an objective, units may have 2 Special/Heavy Weapons rather than 1 of each (still need 10 models).I may or may not have read this right, but it seems to me that this is insanely powerful.

- Daemon Weapons do not require a mark, simply allow Lords to purchase 1 of the 5 currently available (possibly make some new ones too).I'm all for this, but maybe we should have a system in which none of them have names or fluff, so people have to make their own. Like for example, if a Nurgle Lord wanted a weapon like our current Blissgiver, he would come up with something like "the blade drips with a virulent acid, made in Lord Nurgle's spare time in order to eat his enemies from the inside".

- Greater Daemons can buy Marks. Nurgle is FNP for 30pts, Khorne is Furious Charge and Wings for 25pts, Slaanesh is Fleet and a Doom Siren for 20pts, and Tzeentch gives Wings and access to 2 Psychic powers for 15pts + the cost of Powers. Good, but you would need to change the delivery system for this. Having a Greater Daemon with FNP pop up into the back of your line through some unfortunate Chosen Champion would be way to cheap.

- Daemon Engine, Heavy Support.

The last word in customisability, this is intended to be the big cheese in centrepieces. Similar to a Carnifex in options, you should really be able to build almost anything from it. Start as a Walker, but may replace with a Tank for free (no Attacks or move through cover, but go faster and Tank Shock). Armour 14, 13, 12, and has a transport of 20. Stuff like taking a Hellcannon (reduces transport limit), and 4 weapon sites which may be either for Dread Combat Weapons or Heavy Weapons.

This one could be built in millions of ways. A simple Hellcannon platform for some cheap Artillery, an unshakable Assault transport with supporting weapons, a 4 weapon wielding melee juggernaut, or a 300pts Blitzkrieg bus packed to the gunnels with Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolters. Maybe in Apocalypse, but no. Having a walker transport would be nasty enough, but armor 14-13-12 and twenty transport capacity would put this in the 300+ point category, without any upgrades.

Cheers,

Naogedd out.

So only Khorne can have Daemon weapons that give loads more attacks? What about the good old Realms of Chaos days when Plague was a generic ability for a Chaos Weapon, and there were no "god specific" abilities for Chaos weapons? Slaanesh can't have a weapon that can twist the minds and bodies of those opposing them (Nurgle daemon weapon), or a weapon that drives the wielder into a hysterical frenzy (Khorne daemon weapon) or that when pointed at someone causes incapacitating sensation (Tzeentch daemon weapon)?

There, I've just given ways the other daemon weapons can match another God in their effect. Seriously, this is supposed to be Chaos, where no two daemon-weapons are the same, yet all weapons from the same god have the same effect?

It depends, are you going to do hat the warriors of chaos book did and make god specific weapons that can be taken by someone with any mark or just make the weapons all non-god specific? if the first one i'm totally opposed at it makes no sense for a khorn lord to have a slaanesh daemon weapon but if it's the second i wold like it. The only things is that they would probably reduce the number of different type of daemon weapons if done that way.

I would so like for my Nightlords Lord to be able to take a weapon that causes instant death.

I think cult marines should be elites unlesss you have that option. The devout rule seems ok. Another way to do it would be all units get icon of chaos glory for free. Terror als seems great. Subterfuge is great. Twin-linking all weapons would get a bit broken. Lets see a sorcerer with twin-linked wind of chaos for iron warriors. Lets see how that works out. Twin linking everything would get insane with havocs.

Well, the Warriors of Chaos book does basically the same thing, it just gives a name for the weapon that it is most likely to take the form of. A weapon that causes Instant Death is most likely to be an Axe of Khorne, so for ease of reference thats what they'd name it, for example, they just have to include a clause that a weapon need not take the form listed, or be granted by the god, it just has the same effect, and the player should create the name/form for other Gods. You don't have to have the names spoon-fed to you.

Yeah I was thinking the twin-linking might be too much. How about all bolters, melta weapons, and lascannons twinlinked? not very broken. But legion marks shouldn't allow you to take icons at all (including chaos glory) sort of like how marines that take chapter tactics lose combat tactics. It may not make much sense fluff-wise but I think all the advantages that legions have and being able to take icons would make renegade players disadvantaged and might force them to take legion tactics to e competitive.

Are there any project's to make a new codex? And if so can i make my own anyway, you know, a bit of competition?

You guys, if you want to see Legions, LatD and all of that cool Chaos stuff that we had in the past edition email GW, don't just talk about it on this forum. Inundate them with emails and phone calls demanding that they restore the Legions to their former glory. Did you guys know that Gav Thorpe (the author of the latest Chaos Marines' codex) posts on Warseer under the user-name GavT. Seriously, send him a PM, it's more likely that GW will take note that way.

Uhm, anyway, what would I like to see in the next codex?

Well, having daemons back where they belong would be nice, but that's not going to happen.

Pretty much I would like to see the traitors and mutants come back into the fold. This is CHAOS we're talking about here. It's not an organized army, the player should be able to make an army that's an amalgam of all of the elements of Chaos (Chaos Marines, daemons, heretics, mutants etc.) if they wish it.

That and the Legions (seriously) need to make a return. Chaos is rather bland right now and is rather lacking in variety compared to what we had in the last edition. In any case the Space Marines get multiple chapter codices so I don't see why Chaos should be deprived of its sub-factions, especially if they're all printed in one book.

Right now, with renegades, it feels like we're just spiky marines with no drop pods (even though I know that's not entirely reasonable). Although in all fairness there are a lot of things this newest codex did right...it just so happens that theme was not one of those things.

id like to see personally the old nurgle terminators and khorne terminators etc etc. and rather than those idiots doing the plain no name brand style of army id rather see it as the original tratior legions and then have a seperate list for the generic marines. and id like to see more usefull characters and more things such as a reason to take a landraider and more options for chaos lords like stomr bolters i mean if a lord finds a storm bolter hes rather gonna use that then an ancient barely working bolter i mean seriously i would care if it took them 4 years to write it would be so muchb better

i would like to see commanders similar to the ones in C:SM which grant abilities to the entire army, like replacing some other special rule, or adding another one. i would use that method to recreate the legions. but it would also add limits, like, limiting the different marks that your squads can choose in certain legions, or the units you may take.

csm squads that have to choose between a bolter and bp and ccw. it's too much in my opinion. what is the point of having different squads if you have one that can do just about anything? i don't like it.

i think that if your lord has a mark, then troops with a differing mark should be elites.

no free stuff. i'm refering more to the trend started by c:sm. no free weapons. how do you balance that with other armies? especially ones with older codexes? it's making a mockery of any sort of tournament system.

sync up weapons across the board. if they have the same name they should have the same effects. period. ditto for points costs. comparable items should cost the same. for that matter i don't agree with havocs or devs paying more for their weapons. it doesn't really make sense to me. i think 40k is the only game system i play that arbitrarily adds points to a unit with the argument that they are more effective? how are are havocs more effective than normal marines? they have the same BS don't they?

drop pods. without inertial guidance, but with slightly more transport capacity and about 10 points less.

certain troops should be able to assault from transports or after deepstriking. i want that back in for a lot of armies. BA in particular, but also for certain units in other armies. i would either give it to certain khorne cult units, or to possessed and daemons so that there is a reason to take them. this would make drop pods very effective for certain units.

i like the idea of marked daemons, but i think that the increasing use of allies almost makes that a non-issue. i know it's not right to have to buy two books, but a loyalist can't take an inquisitor without buying two books, so it's not unprecedented.

less randomness seems good. that's more of an ork thing. i'm not sure about the dread, it's all that seperates it from the loyalist dread most of the time, but definitely for possessed. ruins the unit. dreads have a lot of other problems. they shouldn't be vehicles, they should be monstrous creatures to make them as powerful and useful as other races' walkers and big hitters. i don't think that's unreasonable.

no vet skills for anyone except vets. as it is, every unit chaos takes can have a veteran skill, or take an extra attack or be special in some way. veteran skills make it too easy for you to hide a unit, because they don't have to look different to be special and it's not really sporting or competitive. and really it's a game, so it should be. i think most units have enough options, except maybe chosen, but having a unit that takes three pages to list all it's options isn't really a great idea either. i like the termi/chosen split. but i do think that chosen should have the ability to choose a skill more in line with your army's fluff. like infiltrate, FNP, furious assault, true grit, counter attack or something of that nature.

if we compile and refine what we would like to see and all send the same thing it's more likely to to get noticed than if we have a bunch of people yelling for different things.

That's a fantastic idea, but until someone decides to do the work we'd be better off emailing GW en masse than planning/requesting (as the case may be) on a forum that I bet most codex authors do NOT peruse on a daily basis, if at all.

I'd be very interested in finding out GW's release schedule beyond the IG, SW, DE, Necrons and so forth (as well as who will be writing the codex).

I'm also very curious to hear what GW's plan is in regards to the LatD, if they even have one at all. Will they ever get an official codex?

How about some flavor for Chaos Lords? They kind of need a buff anyway.

If you take a mark, you can also take a god-specific buff.

Khorne:

Furious Charge, 10 pts

Unholy Might, 10 pts

Nurgle:

Feel No Pain, 20 pts

Blight Grenades, 5 pts

Tzeentch:

Inferno Bolts: 10 pts

Slaanesh:

Sonic Blaster: 5 pts

(possibly other sonic weapons)

Undivided:

Eternal Warrior: 20 pts

Also, demon weapons should be 30 points instead of 40. Should have the option of taking undivided weapon as well.

Undivided needs more work, maybe the ability to take two of the buffs of other gods but he can only take one buff per god and he has to pay double the points. Or the ability to make the unit he's accompanying re-roll to hit in CC. They're phasing out eternal warrior and they only left DP's with it for a reason.

And Tzeentch's buffs sorta suck. inferno bolts for 10 points would be expensive for rapid fire weapon that's only str 4 when you have a daemon weapon that does the same thing. 5 pts is better. And maybe give him the ability to take a cheap one shot pyschic power.

Slaanesh lord should be able to by fleet for him and a squad he accompanies. And a Doom siren as well as the sonic blaster.

And if you can take all these buffs daemon weapons shouldn't get cheaper since their effectiveness will be increased.

If I had to work from the SM Dex I'd like:

An Alpha Legion rule in which half of the troop choices can Infiltrate

Night Lords where anyone they're fighting is at -1 leadership (shows how scary they are)

Iron Warriors to have their Heavy Weapons Twin-linked (A Vulkan like move I know) and/or the Army to know Tank Hunters

Word Bearers to have their Summoning Icons doubled in range.

Those would be rad <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with most of the posts but I'd like to see Night Lords infiltrate - They are the masters of the ambush after all.

I'd love to see Chaos Havocs with Multi Meltas. These things must have been around at the time of the Herasy as dreads and oblits can have them. At a push Heavy flamers as well.

Would love to have my Death Guard army backed up with a combination of DG Multi Meltas and Hvy Flamers.

Archived