The Size Of Grey Knights

ItSeWiNg

A GK is the same size as a normal Space Marine. A GK Terminator is the same size as a SM Terminator. See the models. GKs may be more skilled than a standard Space Marine, yes, but that doesn't mean they spend all the time in the gym turning into a Space Marine equivalent of the Incredible Hulk.

SMs are between 7-8ft tall.

I would say however, don't use model size as if they were actually to scale. My SIsters models are the same size as my friend's Marines models. Sisters are human women, and thus on average 5'4.5". Quite shorter than normal Marines.

If everything in 40k was to scale tho marines and other spacemarine based armies would be really expensive to buy because they are a good few feet taller..... i think terminatour armour is 12 foot tall. Twice the height of a standard model. Marines on their own without any armour would be 8 foot tall. Metal models would cost a bomb. the other option would be to scale down humans...but they would be tiney... tho would look cool when you had a huge army of them.

When I went to the old tour in warhammer world back when the museum was upstairs and the shop downstairs, they had a suit of terminator armour (with a genestealer about to rip his head off) from spacehulk, the tour guide said that the display was only about 10 foot tall and "real" terminatour armour was 12 feet tall. I could be wrong, or he could have been, but thats what i can recall but that was probably 10 years ago, i dunno when did they change the museum around? its hard to see how you get an extra 4 foot ontop of an 8 foot space marine in power armour though.

When I went to the old tour in warhammer world back when the museum was upstairs and the shop downstairs, they had a suit of terminator armour (with a genestealer about to rip his head off) from spacehulk, the tour guide said that the display was only about 10 foot tall and "real" terminatour armour was 12 feet tall. I could be wrong, or he could have been, but thats what i can recall but that was probably 10 years ago, i dunno when did they change the museum around? its hard to see how you get an extra 4 foot ontop of an 8 foot space marine in power armour though.

TDA models have gotten bulkier over the years....

Y'know - I do sometimes wonder where people get the whole 12ft/3m tall thing - then I read Black Library novels and ;) ...

Space marines are only 7-8ft tall (still nearly half a meter taller than most modern people). Plus maybe 3 inches of the soles of their boots (allowing for armour thickness and internal systems for magnetic system) plus maybe another 3 inches on the top of their helmet (space above head, internal systems and then armour again). A rough height for a PA marine of 7 1/2 to 8 1/2ft tall. Terminators, maybe a foot or 18 inches taller.

I would say however, don't use model size as if they were actually to scale. My SIsters models are the same size as my friend's Marines models. Sisters are human women, and thus on average 5'4.5". Quite shorter than normal Marines.

Considering the growth of average human height in human evolution, there should be no reason that the Adepta Sororitas, as well-fed and exercised as they are, stand at only 5'4"-5'5". There should be no reason that the average human male even stands a mere 5'10".

However, we may decide to factor in devolution, genetic mutation and genetic corruption. Combined, these three factors would probably reduce average total growth by some generous 50% assuming Earth gravities. We may alternatively decide to say that the measures of mass and distance have increased over 40K years, and therefore what we call 12 inches today is equivalent to only some 7-8 inches on a ruler made 40K years from now.

Basically speaking, the average human male would probably stand at least about 6', and the average human female would stand at least 5'6"-5-8". Space Marine height would have to be further adjusted against this to the 8' upper limits suggested.

(Emperor's Mercy I'm bloody small. These average 40K people could crush my neck in one hand.)

True, and one should also note that average height woulddiffer between planets. for example, Cadians might be a particularly strong, large, and hardy stock, and same with Catatchan as well.

Indeed, and spacefaring children would be particularly spindly having grown with significantly less gravity. They might look rather Eldar-like; thin, tall, gaunt, pale, perfectly at ease in zero-gravity ... Physically incapable of jumping on a high gravity world ...

HAHAH or the kids bones would cripple under themselves :D still, I always worked one what the gw guy told me :D I do see how impossible it seems for a terminator to be that much taller, seems a little excessive, even if the armour is a good few inches thick. Has anyone else ever noticed that if you try to draw a human body over a terminator where the body would most likley go its physicaly impossible without the human being massivly malformed. The shoulders would be in increadibly strange positions, somewhere up near the ears and about a foot wider . I think in the old terminator models it was more apparent but the newer ones they have corrected that. Ill post some picks of what i mean when i get home.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/ilivefordeath/terminatorsdontfit.jpg

This is the best i could mock up in about 5 mins, working from the rough size of the head, and trying to scale the marine to the rest of that, even excluding more muscle mass, the marines shoulders would have to be up past his ears just tp pysicaly fit the armour, even if all marine4s were hunched backed the position of hisd head is too low to accomidate a human skeleton in any comftable way. The blue is roughly where his arms would realisticaly be in relation to his torso. Im not claiming to be 100% accurate or anything but i cant see anywaty to fit a human inside terminator armour, I have that model and i did examine it quite a bit just to make sure i was as correct as i could be. Anyway just an interesting fact. Even if they were built like the hulk they still wouldnt fit.

Power armour fits fine, and grey knight terminatour armour isnt so out of proportion but standard marines are....mabey thwey all dislocate their shoulders to use terminatour armour ;) which is why it requires years of training to use ^_^

jester_prince Posted Today, 11:16 AM

. . . physicaly impossible without the human being massivly malformed.

Well, yeah they are massively malformed as a result of the genetic engineering. There's a reason they are described as having shed their humanity, and that normal humans can't relate to them.

Yeah but they are still human in genral structure, atleast from what ive seen of them, non of them have hunchbacks and even fi that was so, that means standard powerarmour would have to be hunchback too. Theres a pick in the old marine codex of a marine with no armour hes still human in shape, yes they are bigger and bulkyer but they havent been totaly warped.

In your drawing... Think about it from the side. Realize that the armor is thicker front to back than a normal man, and for a terminator to move and in a normal tactical fighting position a person is often leaning forward at the waist. This will lead to a better position as to why the head seems to be hunched forward. It's because the marine is diagonally in the armor. Another thing to note is that usually with terminators the head is deeper in the cup. The helmet should be considered of the same thickness as the armor as the heads tend to have the lower rim touching or in line with their chin.

The other option is that the arms are not dead center in the armor. They might be on the lower half, which makes more sense. You put the armor plating on the outside of the armor as opposed to the inside.

In your drawing... Think about it from the side. Realize that the armor is thicker front to back than a normal man, and for a terminator to move and in a normal tactical fighting position a person is often leaning forward at the waist. This will lead to a better position as to why the head seems to be hunched forward. It's because the marine is diagonally in the armor. Another thing to note is that usually with terminators the head is deeper in the cup. The helmet should be considered of the same thickness as the armor as the heads tend to have the lower rim touching or in line with their chin.

The other option is that the arms are not dead center in the armor. They might be on the lower half, which makes more sense. You put the armor plating on the outside of the armor as opposed to the inside.

I did think about all this, and as i said even thinking about it and examining the model (and he has no helmet which is why i chose him as an example) theres no possible way a human could fit in there even if hes diagonal, you try find a position on which yiour shoulders are ear height, i can rework the image if you want but even then its going to look wrong and distorted. Its not so bad in the newer terminatour armour tho its actualy possible so i think GW even on a sub concious level realised that there was something wrong.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3c/GoroMKSM.jpg/260px-GoroMKSM.jpg

New space marine concept... Why wield 1 bolter when you can wield 2? Oh wait... (looks at grey knights) SOLD! I like their concept better.

Really the disproportion comes in the fact that standard troopers (my IST's for instance) are but a few inches (to scale) shorter than my space marines in power armor.

Archived