God of War and No Reatreat

Upstartes

If a marine unit uses Marneus Calgar's "God of War" ability, and chooses to pass a moral check after losing a round of close combat, does the unit take additional wound per the "No Retreat" rule?

The No Retreat rule says that it applies to units that automatically pass morale checks, but makes no mention of units that can choose to pass or fail their tests.

How have you seen it played?

If you choose to pass, the pass is automatic and triggers "No Retreat!"

If you choose to fail, it is likewise automatic, but you get a chance to leg it and avoid the extra wounds.

All in all, it gives you some flexibility.

Given that choosing to fail a test for ATSKNF is considered to be automatic (the rule actually uses that word), I think the same logic applies here as well, even though the word Automatic is missing from Calgar's rules.

My honest belief is that GW's definition of "automatic" in these cases, is for it to happen without dice rolling.

I'm also having a hard time believing they intended to create some kind of uber-fearless rule, where you could choose to stand and fight, without the usual consequences. I am pretty sure that it is enough that you get to choose pass or fail, without trying to avoid no retreat wounds as well.

Archived