Chaos-Bombing

minigun762

So back in the good ol' days, the Daemonbomb army was more than a bit of a pain in the butt. With all the different types of Daemons you could accomplish pretty much whatever you wanted just using Daemons. Fast forward to new Codex and 5th Edition and our Daemons are less useful and more specialized. However with some new options, I'm wondering if you could recreate the Bombing armies of days long past.

You're going to have to have atleast 2 squads of CSMs/Cult Troops. If you want to load up on the other stuff I'd say multiple 5 man squads with Icon of Chaos Glory. Since you need them to move around quickly, that means a Rhino, probably naked to save points.

I'd say something like:

5 CSMs, Icon of Chaos Glory, Flamer, Rhino for 125 points.

Now you'll want to load up on Lesser Daemons as they're cheap and scoring units. I'd consider medium-large sized squads to help with Fearless and to remain scoring for longer. You could easily fit in 30-40 Daemons and still have a large chunk of your points left over.

CSMs and Lesser Daemons have your anti-infantry needs covered, so all thats left is anti-tank/MC. This could go one of two ways I think. Obliterators or Terminators.

Obliterators are probably the more expensive option, but they have that lovely variety of guns to choose fun, that being said I'd go with the Terminators as they're so much cheaper and superior in the Assault Phase.

In smaller games I'd go with the typical 3 man Terminator Suicide squad with Combi-Meltas. In larger games I'd upgrade them to 5 Terminators with Combi-Meltas/Plasma and 1-2 Power Fists.

Cheap units would run you 105 points. Larger units would be 195 most likely.

This means you could fit in 4 CSM Rhino squads, 40 Lesser Daemons and 3 Terminator Suicide squads in a 1500 point game and still have enough points for a solid HQ unit.

The question is, after all this theory-hammer, is it a viable option or not? :devil:

As I've done many games with 20 CSM in rhinos (2x10), 40+ daemons, and whatever else in that size with predictable results, yes it's definitely viable. Infantry mostly just don't stand a chance. You just have to be careful in the new edition and not being able to consolidate into new units.

I just made up a demon bombing list for fun. Here's what I got. It's definately a WIP...

HQ:

Sorcerer, bike, personal icon. [135]

FA:

8 bikers, 2 plasma guns [294]

Troops:

10 CSM, IoCG, Rhino w/ Demonic Possession [215] x2

Demons:

12 Lesser Demons [156] x4

----------------------------------- [1483]

So yeah, basic idea is run around with the bikers bombing with squads of 12 demons. When they pop, it's 36 str 4 WS 4 attacks.

I'm not sure how it would work with the rhinos, if you could pop demons with them, I'd think you would need an AC w/ a personal icon?

They can come out just fine from squads in rhinos as it's in the codex.

Unfortunately, I think that list would be rolled by an army with any tough armor. Krak grenades, while useful, won't get them all. One squad of bikers seems like it would die to easily to me, but that's just me and watching bikers crumple to strong shooting.

list has to many auto lose match ups and is really weak against mecha . the whole idea of demon bombs was that it worked [puting the rending rules aside for a second] that gunline was a good and offten played army and DB ate static gunline for breakfast . As the 5th killed the gunline as a way to play the demon bomb [even if it was possible to play the old way] wouldnt work .

I am assembling an army that will use demons alot, not sure how "winnable" the list is but I am working with the models I have on hand.

I will have:

4X 10 Noise Marines (1 Champ w/Siren, 1 Icon Bearer, 1 Blastmaster, 7 Sonic Blasters) mounted in Rhinos

(toyed with using squads of 6 but was told they wold be too small)

4X 6 Demonettes

Plus all the HQ, Heavy Support etc but above is the core of the army.

I have never used demons before but they came with the army so...

My thinking is that I will basically use the demons to screen the deployed noise marines and get them into CC while the NMs set up to blast the survivors. So in my list Demons serve the roll of a disposable screen essentially.

I have been out of 40K for 2+ years so I am sure I will lose many times while I learn how I am REALLY supposed to be using these demons.

Archived