How well do Icons work?

northoceanbeach

I've got a troop heavy, assaulty chaos army, and I'll be playing against Space Marines, so I'd like to try giving them all either marks of Nurgle, or of Khorne. I know Khrone seems the obvious choice, but I think Nurgle may work equally well, making them all but impossib le to kill except for power fist hits in close. Have any of you tried these and what do you recommend? Or nothing at all. Thanks.

icon of nurgle doesnt work . for the same pts you get PMs that get +1T and FnP.

Khorn is ok , if your building assault units [like 8 raptors with 2 flamer/meltas and an asp champion with a fist] , but again zerkers are cheaper and better for a hth force .

Agreeing with the rest, IoN is so expensive, you are way better off just using PM's.

I can see IoK having it's uses, but if your talking about a TROOPS choice, brzrkrs would be better then IoK.

As Cale sz IoCG is good for the pts, it's pretty much the only icon I use.

The Icon of Tzeentch has worked well for me a couple of times but it is expensive. I am now considering just leaning towards TS, PM, Berzerkers and NM for dedicated Troops choices. Leave the Icons for the Elites and maybe Fast Attack.

The only icons i use are Personal Icons and IoT's. IoT's for the Invulnerable save (Specially Tank hunting Squads) and the Personal icons for assault squads.

I love charging an assault squad into a mass of tyranids and having termies deepstrike right around them and beat the crap out of all the synapse units.

IoS works on certain assault units like raptors. Khorne is the most straight forward and works well, even though the line between khorne CSMs and bezerkers seems to disapear, zerkers are a far better CC choice. IoCG works best for your troops, the other icons are more useful in your elites, fast attacks and to an extent, heavyies.

IoT i have to say does not work except on HQs. There it shines above all of the other icons, increasing invulnerables is one thing, but 2 psyker powers per turn and no familar=nasty.

I already mentioned that Icon of Chaos Glory and Icon of Khorne are probably the best overall choices, but Icon of Slaanesh does have a special place. Being able to hit before normal Marines, which constitute alot of people's typical opponents is quite useful. Furthermore being able to hit at the same time as those I5 units (including those that rely on Furious Charge) is a good way to protect your own units and make sure they get their hits in.

Lastly, its a fairly cheap upgrade, only twice Icon of Chaos Glory so its easy to afford.

Archived