My never ending tie/lose streak

spectre312

So, as a bloodclaw, my record is less than worthy......I've played around 10 games of varying points sizes with my wolves, and have 0 wins, 7 ties and 3 losses. I'm not sure if it's the list i run, my bad tactics, or what. so, i want to post my list and get some suggestions, but I have to do that in the army list.....but what are some tactics you guys have for an army with one lrc with bcs and a runepriest, 2 vindi's, and 5 pods.? I have a venerable dreadnought, wolf guard battle leader with AC and fb with wolf with shield and two termies one ac, iron clad, and two hunters in the pods.

Also, if any of you play vassal, i'd be glad to field my army on there to get suggestions from you lonfangs

Post your list that you most likely use and offer your playing style.

My advise is that despite SW's being an upfront/movement/assaultive army, you still need a strong fire base in ordr to throw punches back at your opponent when you are stuck in.

Make sure you at least have some choices with range and some AP attched to them.

I have a basic loose forumla that i use when making a list:

- 2 Troop Choices that are Grey Hunters with Bolters, Special Weapon, and WGPL with PF or PW/Melta Bombs.

- Then I allow myself either one Blood Claw Pack or BP/CCW equipped Grey Hunert Pack for HtH or Melee action.

- I then Choose a minimum of (1) Heavy Support Choice (Pred/Vindicator/ Long Fangs) and a minimum of (1) Fast Attack Choice (Usually Speeders).

Then I repeat again. In between I then opt for Elites. I always choose Dreds since they can fulfill Anti Infantry and Anti Armour in one choice, so at times that may negate one of the other choices.

We lack heavy weapons like other MEQ Armies, so you have to make up with what we have available.

You also have to consider what types of missions you are playing. My experience is that in missions requiring the capture/defense of multiple objectives, Wolves are usually playing for a tie because of the difficulty of moving quickly across the board to seize and hold objectives. The additional HQ or two also puts you at a troop disadvantage. At the outset of the game, decide what objective(s) you can realistically hold and what it will take. Then see if you have anything left over for a reasonable chance at taking/contesting one of the opponent's objectives. If you have no reasonable chance, use the additional forces as a reserve to blunt attacjs at your objectives and play to reduce casualties so as to make the victory points in your favor.

This strategy will drive your selection of forces. X units of troops to hold your own, X units to capture/contest others. If you are generally playing in one-off games vice tourneys, the selection gets a little easier because you know what type of army you will be facing when you make up your TO&E for the battle.

I have played over 100 games in the last year and only lost two (I won 'Ard Boys last year and about 5 or 6 tournaments) - I can give you some ideas if you like:

2500 Points:

3) 6 Man GH Squads

1) 11 Man Blood Claw Squad 2x Power weapons and 1 power fist

1) HQ. Wolf Priest with: Runic Armor, Healing Balms, Runic Charm, Plasma Pistol, Wolf Tooth Necklace

- 4 Wolf Gaurd w/ Termy Armor, Runic Charms 2 Assault Cannons & Power Fist and 2 Storm Bolters & Power Weapons

- Land Raider (All one squad)

1) HQ. Rune Priest with Runic Armor and Frost Blade, Runic Charm, Wolf Tooth Necklace (Run this guy with the Blood Claws)

1) Land Raider Crusader (Goes with Rune Priest and Blood Claws)

1) HQ. Wolf Guard Battle Leader with: Termy Armor, Assault Cannon, Runic Charm, Frost Blade, Wolf Tooth Necklace

1) HQ. Ven. Dreadnought with Lascannon, Close Combat Claw, Extra Armor

1) 4 Man Scouts with Plasma Pistol, Melta Gun, and 2 Power weapons, Frag grenades and Melta Bombs

1) Land Speeder Squadron with 2 speeders - one with Assault Cannon and Heavy Bolter & one with Multi-Melta

1) Predator with Turret Lascannon and two side mounted Lascannons

1) Vindicator

Heres the plan with this army (it always works - I promise):

Avoid close combat mostly (except with Blood Claws) and shoot everything up - as things get close to you - back up and shoot more - then assault or counter charge

If you play a lot of horde armies - replace the Predator and Multi-melta speeder with a Leman Russ with Lascannon and Hvy. Bolter Sponsons

When assaulting with Bloodclaws - get the LRC up close - unload them and shoot up foes with tank and pistols - then assault

Stick the Wolf guard Battle Leader with one of the 6 Grey Hunters to take an objective or put him with the Wolf Priest and Body Guard - 3 Assault Cannons in one termy group with Healing Balms and Runic Charms makes everyone cry - I promise :HQ:

Use the speeders to deny objective in late game and of course to shoot up things

Stick the predator in a spot where it has good multiple lines of sight to kill stuff - remember 48" range - don't move it if you don't have to

People will be afraid of the Vindicator - use it to attract fire so other things live - use the dreadnought to snipe stuff - BS 5 with Lascannon almost guarantees hits - later in game use it to support close combat problem areas

People will disagree with this list - no problem - I can beat em :)

Let me know if you have questions (or want other point total values - I have 1500, 1750, 1850 2000 and up to 6000 point lists)

Wena

while i'm considered already a grey hunter i still lose quite a lot so don't worry

the wolves are a difficult army to master and i'm glad for it actually,otherwise our armylist would be total no brainers

i've always played mechanized and now i'm going to try some droppods in the future to see what they do

so don't get upset, play as many games as you can, even ask your opponents for tactical advise after the battle, i always do this to see where things went wrong so i don't make the same mistake again, but most off all, have fun, that's what it's all about after all:)

Heres the 1850 list:

1850 Pts - Space Wolves Roster - All Comers - 1850

HQ: Wolf Priest @ 662 Pts - Power Weapon; Runic Armour; Runic Charm; Plasma Pistol; Healing Potions & Balms; Iron Wolf Amulet

2 Wolf Guard - Runic Charm; Assault Cannon; Power Fist; Runic Charm; Terminator Armor

2 Wolf Guard - Runic Charm; Power Weapon; Storm Bolter; Terminator Armor

1 Land Raider - Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Twin Linked Lascannon (x2)

HQ: Rune Priest @ 144 Pts - Runic Armour; Runic Charm; Wolf Pelt; Power Weapon; Wolf Tooth Necklace, Storm Shield

HQ: Venerable Dreadnought @ 180 Pts - CCW; Storm Bolter; Twin Linked Lascannon

Elite: 4 Wolf Scouts @ 116 Pts Bolt Pistol (x2); Close Combat Weapon (x1); Frag Grenades; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol (x1); Power Weapon (x2); Meltagun

Troops:

2) 6 Grey Hunter Pack @ 108 Pts (each) close Combat Weapon (x6); Bolter (x6)

11 Blood Claws Pack @ 182 Pts - Bolt Pistol (x8); Close Combat Weapon (x11); Frag Grenades; Power Fist (x1); Power Weapon (x2)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron Land Speeder @ 90 Pts Heavy Bolter (x1); Assault Cannon (x1)

Heavy Support: Land Raider Crusader @ 250 Pts Twin Linked Assault Cannon; Hurricane Bolter (x2)

Total Roster Cost: 1850

Created with Army Builder

Copyright © 1997-2006 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. All rights reserved.

Another 1850 option - less protection for your termies but more offensive power - I'm 50/50 on the two lists:

1850 Pts - Space Wolves Roster - All Comers - 1850

HQ: Wolf Guard Battle Leader @ 616 Pts - Runic Charm; Power Weapon; Assault Cannon;

2 Wolf Guard - Runic Charm; Assault Cannon; Power Fist; Runic Charm; Terminator Armor

2 Wolf Guard - Runic Charm; Power Weapon; Storm Bolter; Terminator Armor

1 Land Raider - Twin Linked Heavy Bolter; Twin Linked Lascannon (x2)

HQ: Rune Priest @ 144 Pts - Runic Armour; Runic Charm; Wolf Pelt; Power Weapon; Wolf Tooth Necklace, Storm Shield

HQ: Venerable Dreadnought @ 175 Pts - CCW; Storm Bolter; Twin Linked Lascannon

Elite: 4 Wolf Scouts @ 116 Pts Bolt Pistol (x2); Close Combat Weapon (x1); Frag Grenades; Melta Bombs; Plasma Pistol (x1); Power Weapon (x2); Meltagun

Troops:

2) 6 Grey Hunter Pack @ 108 Pts (each) close Combat Weapon (x6); Bolter (x6)

11 Blood Claws Pack @ 182 Pts - Bolt Pistol (x8); Close Combat Weapon (x11); Frag Grenades; Power Fist (x1); Power Weapon (x2)

Fast Attack: 1 Land Speeder Squadron @ 150 Pts

1 Land Speeder Squadron w/ Heavy Bolter (x1); Assault Cannon (x1)

1 Land Speeder Squadron w/ Multi-Melta (x1);

Heavy Support: Land Raider Crusader @ 250 Pts Twin Linked Assault Cannon; Hurricane Bolter (x2)

Total Roster Cost: 1850

Created with Army Builder

Copyright © 1997-2006 Lone Wolf Development, Inc. All rights reserved.

hQ:

Vendread:

AC, HF, EA

*Drop Pod*

Troops:

10 GH:

MG, PW, 9x bolters

*Drop Pod*

WGPL Combi plasma, fist, wp, rc63

10 GH:

MG, PW, 9x bolters

*Drop Pod*

Elites:

Ironclad:

HF, HF, Seismic Hammer

*Drop Pod*

HQ 2

WGBL - FB/AC - TDA, RC, WP, WTN 138

WGBG1 - AC/PW - TDA, RC, WP 148

WGBG2 - Storm bolter/PW - TDA, RC, WP

WGBG4 - Combi-plasma/SS - RC

Drop Pod

BC (11) - 3PF

HQ3

rune priest, force weapon(RW),Chooser of the slain, bolter

Land raider crusader

Vindicator, SS

Vindicator, SS

1998 points

I originally dropped the two dreadnoughts and the WGBL on my turn one. But that seems to just lead to my dreads being decimated next turn. So i tried a match only dropping the venerable and WGBL and one pack of blood claws. it worked slightly better, but my dreadnoughts just get decimated flat out everytime I try to field them.

Well...., I would think that you would be outnumbered like 7 to 1 :jaw: , so i would go with less expensive and cool stuff, while you may think that is what makes you have a good army, i would say that you should drop a vindidactor, Ironclad, or both, and add more troops, with this little amount of troops, you will be destroyed at objectives(2/3 games are objectives, just reminding you) you will need to be able to hold those objectives especially at that points value, and it it really easy for a force like eldar to get the objectives they need and move rapidly to contest your objectives, and you also will lose all your troops :wub: , and any anti tank army will easily destroy almost all of your army, but now i am just nit picking ;) , but YOU NEED MORE TROOPS :o , especially in 5th ed, just summing up my thoughts when I saw your list.

I find a reserve army is too unpredictable - I want to know when and where my stuff is going to be (scouts even freak me out but they are good enough to tolerate). One of the two losses I have had was because I placed my whole army in reserve - ouch. I would recommend ditching the drop pods and see if you can't do better placing stuff at the outset. After you try some new ideas - let us know how you do. Any Wolf winning is a win for the chapter...

P.S. I really should spell check before I post :D

P.S.S. I find that too many troops limits you in 5th can be bad. While I agree they are important (I run 4 now instead of 2 selections at 2500), to go overboard will cost you as many games at not having enough.

Umm.... three questions.

1) It goes WGBG 1, 2, 4. Typo or is there a missing wolf gaurd?

2) Why are you taking the Ironclad, and what are you usually targetting with it?

3) Why are you taking a Runic Weapon on your rune priest?

1 it was a typo, it used to be a 7 member WGBG but I changed it up.

2The iron clad is dropped back when the enemy armor is heaviest, but near enough to dual HF some troops when it lands if I can't get to the back side of armor.

3 Because hitting with 6 or 7 power weapon attacks in the first round is awesome, and being able to insta kill the big multi wound models is great. :mellow:

Eh, if it works for you.... personally Id rather have a frost blade. +1 strength means more wounds anyways..... you cant touch a wraithlord, and most MC's are immune to instant death these days. *shrugs*.

Archived