Making Space Wolves from the New Codex

Marek Grimfang

How would you do this in order to keep the "Wolfy" feel and spirit to an army list?

Ive thought of Tac Squads without heavy weapons, or using heavy weapons that have shorter range to compliment the almighty bolter.

Ive also thought of Assault Squads without jump packs.

Just something Im throwing around.

I see you are being drawn toward the dark side Grimfang, you must be strong and resist the urge to play with new shinnies. :lol:

Though I would be sad the day I saw a SW painted army playing as Vanilla, nothing would stop you from doing it as that is one of the cool things about 40k. But as inicent as your question is, I urge you not to give GW any ideas.

WG Vrox

What in Russ name is up here? Heresy in the Halls of Russ. Why should a true Son of Russ want to abaddon our own ´dex in favor of the vanilla one. Marek, do you want an old Wolf like me getting a heart attack?

A Tac squad is not equal to our GH. Each of our GH packs is more like a elite choise from C:SM (comparing the weapon options).

The Dark Angels have an excuse to go towards the new dex. If you're a battle company player like I used to be, it's a no-brainer to switch over to the newer codex, as anything but the Wings can be done better with the new 'dex.

We get most of the new toys, as we buy our vehicles from the marine 'dex. We have what is quite possibly the best codex as far as fluff vs. effectiveness goes. There is no way to make a truly "Wolfy" army with anything but our own blessed codex. In the 4th ed Marine book, I may have let that slip as a doctrine let you take bolt pistols and chainswords on tac squads, but that is no longer the case.

Keep it Wolfy, play with the Wolf 'dex.

By Russ' hairy dis-belief! Ultra Smurfs running around the Fang with taped on wolf ears and false teeth indeed!

"look at me, I'm a wolf! Growl, snarl, woof, etc!" ;)

Either play the Son's of Russ or some support marine choice...but you'll give poor old D.B. and Beef a heart attack if you keep this up.

No ale for you!

(But, it's your army. :) )

I've had several looks trough the smurf dex, but I cant find a way to justify dumping the SW dex and make a blue wolf army.

There is no way to get the right feel in my opinion, so I say no (not that I ever would, but it was a question asked to the mods when the new dex came out)

Well the trick is justifying losing what makes us Wolves (True Grit, the plethora of special weapons in regular packs, the butt-kickery of our packs in CC, etc) to what a person would get from making a blue-grey codex army (a few more Special Characters, Telion, and Chronus...Combat Squads, which are debatable beyond the ability for one squad to shoot at two targets...etc).

It just doesn't make sense from a purely tactical standpoint, plus you wouldn't be able to play to our fluff which is arguably the best there is out there even if there isn't as much. Also what other army can you have like 12-13 different army colors in the same army? Maybe IG but they aren't nearly as good (heck in my second game EVER I beat someone playing IG).

Maybe all this is slanted coming from a Wolf but there is a reason why they gave Space Wolves a seperate codex even if we do get to take most of our weaponry from the SM Codex, which is not the same as taking our units from them.

You could almost do it in 4rth edition... the fifth edition space marine codex has one thing in common with Space Wolves: Vehicles. After that it just splits.... I hate to say it but if you were trying to simulate space wolves with ANY other book the best way to go would be chaos undivided.... Normal space marines are just to different.

And frankly It should stay that way. Space marines dont follow the Codex Astartes, and so they shouldnt follow Codex Space Marine.

Damn, I go to work and put in 11 hours overtime (on top of a 10 hour shift) and I get my pee-pee slapped!

I was just perusing through the new C:SM again and there are some huge trade offs. For one I can't seem to find anything that replaces the SW "True Grit/Counter Attack" USRs. Even taking Shrike with his fleet rules or one of the other characters that gives something similar to one squad, the new C:SM is actually very restrictive.

I think it is meant that way because thats what "Gulliman" wanted, strict adherence, but coming from 4th Ed., man your hands are tied.

Either way I am with our 'Dex since I have so much SW plastic, Brass Etchings, and just ordered/received the Forge World SW Term. upgrades packs.

If it is any consolation, I play blood angels with space wolf rules. So it does swing the other way as well.

just kidding... I did buy a couple space wolf boxed sets so I would have enough chainswords for my BA army. Now I am thinking up ways to use all of the SW parts...maybe throw in the Leman Russ tank I never built....

-js

Archived