Relictors Paint Scheme

Squat

Again in my search for excellent chapters to paint, I'm thinking of painting some of my marines as Relictors, however I have no idea how to paint them, anyone got any tutorials? I've seen the pics of the Relictors in the latest WD Magazine (think it's 378, latest UK edition), and it looks a kind of blue grey which I think is awesome, does anyone know how to get that colour??

Cheers.

there colour is a very very dark grey, with black shoulder pad inserts, black weapon casings, plus maroon eyes. they also have light grey chest eagles. chapter icon is a white laughing skull on its side. bell of lost souls has a print out to make your own transfers which is the way their icon should look, not how its depicted in the latest marine dex (which is wrong imo). daemon weapons are fun to make too, again, there are pics in my photobucket album, rules whise just count them as relic blades or whatever you want, as long as whoever you are playing agrees. that, or you could play them as a chaos army (which they arent, because they are still loyal). another modelling option would be to do them like the 13th company wolfen, with bits of scavanged chaos army from differant legions among their normal armour.

i did mine with a 2:1 mix of black to codex grey, highlighted by codex grey, then fortress grey. highlight the black with the dark grey, then codex grey, and your practically done.

have a look in my photobucket album (link in sig) for an idea on how they look.

NOTE: i did a lot of damage on mine to represent how they were after the attack on their fortress monastary by the grey knights.

if you want anymore info feel free to PM me or ask in this thread, ill keep an eye on it :D

Thanks guys so far for the help, just to clarify, I won't be playing with my miniatures, I just love painting them.

I love the idea of the relictors as being slightly against the law as it were (using whatever method works to cleanse the plague of chaos, even using their own weapons against them), but still loyal.

I have attached a couple of pics from the issue of WD (correction to previous post, issue 348 UK Edition), it's an amazing blue/grey colour, I could just paint them grey, but would love to know how to get that blue tint onto the armour.

Hope the pics show the colours well.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/DaddyAL_2007/P301108_1110.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee165/DaddyAL_2007/P301108_111001.jpg

I tried my hand at relictors a long while ago and my scheme came out much darker than what you seem to be looking for so I won't go into too much more detail. The simplest answer is to mix your own base color where you take one or more shades of grey and some blue to create a mix that you use as your basecoat. This will then allow you to add highlights that are a little more blueish instead of grey. If you aren't adverse to trying some other brands of paint I would look into some of the reaper masters series paints as well for this project. I know there are some varying opinions on them on the board but in general they do have a lot of blueish and greyish colors which sound like a good start to what you are looking to do.

Archived